Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

Thread: PCPER.com: 5 GHZ+ Phenom II Overclock on Dry Ice, 6Ghz on LN2

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rammsteiner View Post
    sub zero reliability
    i lol'd

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hornet,only a blind man can't see what MrMojoz posted about.If you are one of those ,that's fine.Like i said i won't comment on this issue any more.Feel free to think whatever you like,it's a free world.

On topic: more pics from the Phenom II event from Jeff Tom here.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    He said IF they flop, so why are you acting like he said when they flop? Or even worse hope they flop. He then says let's HOPE they don't. WOW, So you're turning concern into a Bash even when posters aren't bashing, amazing!

Most folks wants to see AMD do well, some want to them at least catch Intel. ALL OF US know prices will go up if they don't.
    Thanks man, let the fanboys say whatever they want, why bother with nobodys, anyway back on topic...... I like AMD, if Phenom II is like the previews suggest, then i will be building an AMD rig just for the fun of it, prices should be more for our liking as well, even tho pricing right now for intel is good, the motherboards are out of hand. Having a choice for a performance PC is always good, go AMD

Xtreme Member
    Nice to see AMD coming back BUTBUTBUT... Its still going to be a tough sell.
    The way I see the market from Q1 2009:
    Server: Intel win across the board
    High-end desktop: Intel win
    Value desktop: AMD win
    High-end mobile: Intel win
    Value mobile: Intel win

Still not a very good position by all accounts. IMO they should churn out some mobile parts ASAP.

A mobile X3 deneb with an undervolted RV730/RV770 would be a sweet sweet platform.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissez View Post

Still not a very good position by all accounts. IMO they should churn out some mobile parts ASAP.

A mobile X3 deneb with an undervolted RV730/RV770 would be a sweet sweet platform.
    I'm pretty sure the "Value Desktop" market is larger than all the others put together though (excluding server of course).

oooh, exciting.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Cyph3r View Post
    I'm pretty sure the "Value Desktop" market is larger than all the others put together though (excluding server of course).
    IIRC The mobile market is the largest in terms of volume and the server market is the largest in terms of value.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissez View Post

amd is gonna do good in the servers because its just a drop in chip
    instead of new board/ram/cpu's
    amd 720
    M4A78T-E
    i gig of crap
    visionek 4850
    seagate 320 GB 7200.10
    WD 640 GB
    swiftech MCR320 swiftech MCP355
    Apogee GTZ
    XPSC Restop

Quote Originally Posted by road-runner View Post
    I can say one thing I learned out of all this, I am not buying any Intel SSDs thats for sure...

Banned
    Fortunately for AMD, there are more segments than just "value" and "high end". What about enthusiasts that want the best bang for the buck?
    What about students that need all the horsepower they can for audio/video tasks, without wanting to pay the jackpot?

To me it seems the highest performing Deneb will come very close in performance to the highest performing Nehalem.
    Add to this Deneb's superior performance per watt, and the fact that MBs that support Deneb will be much cheaper than MBs that support nehalem. (especially the AMD boards that still use the old southbridge)

About time though, for a long time it made no sense to buy AMD for whatever purpose besides wanting to go cheap. (server market excluded)
    Glad we're past that phase.

Xtreme Cruncher
    People shouldn't underestimate mobile market since it's growing insanely fast.That's why AMD preps the Deneb core based low power models for notebooks.Netbooks should get a single core variant of Deneb too,only cache stripped and running at low volts.

Xtreme Addict
    Well, maybe someone will think that Im stupid (maybe most of you), but how you comed to thinking that Phenom II wont be comparable to i7?

i7 has integrated memory bus, guess what.. Phenom II has integrated memory bus too. Both will use DDR3 (when AMD release AM3 platform). Phenom II doesnt have any memory clock/voltage limitations. Only thing it lacks really is Hyper-Threading and triple channel. But as much as I know, there is not big difference between dual/triple channel if you have integrated memory bus in CPU. i7 is just re-designed Core 2, nothing more. I think that if Phenom II will be able to do 4GHz at air, it can actually beat i7 (just imagine Phenom II under watercooling - 4,5GHz + some 2+GHz rams). Even with my poor Athlon X2 on 3GHz and Cellshocks at 1000MHz CL4.. I have over 9k bandwith.. if I imagine having some Phenom II on 4GHz.. heh bandwith over 15k? Maybe.. cause I can clock Cellshocks higher, just FSB cant take it).

If these OC reports are true, I believe that Phenom II will be much more than just comparable to i7. (at least much more friendly to OCers.. dont liek that idea of dead CPU if my memory voltage is too high).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Guys, if you concidere yourself a Blue team member , please let's the green team guys have their fun, it is nice to see them reviving a little, give them some space.
    Instead, get back to work, and break the 7Ghz on Core i7
    Let s squeeze the best of both platform.

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Core i7

Darth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MaJy7LH5js
    Last edited by Drwho?; 11-22-2008 at 09:02 AM.
    DrWho, The last of the time lords, setting up the Clock.

I am Xtreme
    Let's start with breaking 6G before we rush to 7G . No dirty tricks allowed.
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangracin2 View Post
    amd is gonna do good in the servers because its just a drop in chip
    instead of new board/ram/cpu's
    Also, in servers performance per watt is the most important. And although Intel's platform will be faster, the CPUs consume a little more and FBDIMM makes it a lot worse
    PC: none at the moment
    Lappy: Dell Latitude D520
    CPU: Core Duo T2300E 1.66GHz
    RAM: 1 Gb generic
    VGA: Intel 950 gma
    HDD: 60 GB Hitachi 5400 rpm + 250 GB Phillips external
    Mouse: Razer Lachesis
    Mousepad: Razer Mantis
    Headphones: AKG K701 + LittleDot MK II + Behringer U Control UCA202
    OSes: Fedora 9 - work || XP-games (only DOTA)
    Additional cooling: seated on cigarette packs with custom made USB powered fan

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    People shouldn't underestimate mobile market since it's growing insanely fast.That's why AMD preps the Deneb core based low power models for notebooks.Netbooks should get a single core variant of Deneb too,only cache stripped and running at low volts.
    Whats the point of that, singelcores are dead, even for notebooks (beside for UMPCs, but even there dualcores take over)?

They need a chip that is dirt cheap and consumes next to nothing, and perform a bit better then atom -> zing amd would own the whole sub 400€ market.

Just look at the success of atom. Even if you strip down phenom 2 off everything it wont come close the the power consumption of atom.

Amd already had massmarket SoC way befor intel (remeber cyrix? ), but they dumped it... if they would have forced the development based on MediaGX core they would have a very competentive product against Atom.

As for a competition against the centrieno platform, that depends how much impact the cache strip has on phenom phenoms performance.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Xel'Naga View Post
    Also, in servers performance per watt is the most important. And although Intel's platform will be faster, the CPUs consume a little more and FBDIMM makes it a lot worse
    AMD has some good marketing advantages over Nehalem and server, the drop in compatibility is a huge win for companies in this environment.

However, Nehalem 2P servers will not use FBDIMMs they will be using low voltage DDR3.

Jack
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post
    Why not beyond 3,6 GHz? CPU just won't go further regardless of Vcore with that temperature? Or high temps due to high Vcore?
    It will go further, but 3.6 will be the sweetspot from what I've been told. As always, this will vary from CPU to CPU and change between steppings

//Andreas

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post
    Let's start with breaking 6G before we rush to 7G . No dirty tricks allowed.
    answer in video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3dI-ghYimg

Xtreme Cruncher
    @ Drwho?

Some comments on Core i7 + LN2 testing:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...8&postcount=22
    Quote Originally Posted by DMH View Post
    Most 965 won't even do 5Ghz benchable
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=270
    Quote Originally Posted by k|ngp|n View Post
    He was the first person to ever get one I think.
    If Macci is hitting those kinds of clocks on LN2 with Dragon Evo...wonder what he would do with a F1 extreme...Sami PM me your info again, time for an upgrade
    Looks like AMD is back in the LN2 game after all this time. Pretty cool
    Nehalem kind of sucks for extreme overclocking on LN2 to be honest. The LN2 party since dothan had to end some time I guess lol.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    Thanks man, let the fanboys say whatever they want, why bother with nobodys, anyway back on topic...... I like AMD, if Phenom II is like the previews suggest, then i will be building an AMD rig just for the fun of it, prices should be more for our liking as well, even tho pricing right now for intel is good, the motherboards are out of hand. Having a choice for a performance PC is always good, go AMD
    Very gracious of you, people need to be a less sensitive about hardware; we all want the best, regardless of platform. Only a fool wouldn't. Hint, hint, somebody needs to apologize to you. I'm on Intel, happily churning along with my Q9550 at 4.2Ghz, but I'm about as excited as anyone in here, just itching to lay my filthy hands on a phenom II. January can't come fast enough.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwho? View Post
    Oh man such good memories of JK2 and JKA

I'm going to play some multiplayer now
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    I ll try with and without couple of diodes too ;-)
    Get ready for a trauma ...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    Oh man such good memories of JK2 and JKA

I'm going to play some multiplayer now
    this one is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zYOw7v6TFE

Quote Originally Posted by Mescalamba View Post
    i7 has integrated memory bus, guess what.. Phenom II has integrated memory bus too. Both will use DDR3 (when AMD release AM3 platform). Phenom II doesnt have any memory clock/voltage limitations. Only thing it lacks really is Hyper-Threading and triple channel...snip...If these OC reports are true, I believe that Phenom II will be much more than just comparable to i7. (at least much more friendly to OCers.. dont liek that idea of dead CPU if my memory voltage is too high).
    You are missing some things here, it's not just about HT, etc. The problem is that AMD didn't optimize the execution units on Phenom / Phenom II as good as Intel did on Core 2 / i7.

The execution units of the Intel CPU's are much more flexibel and therefore depending on the application can excecute more instructions compared to AMD at the same time. In my on fractal assembler code I see that even Core 2 is about 30 to 40 percent faster at the same clock speed than a Phenom, when it comes to FPU or SSE2 performance.

If you wanna know more detail, take a weekend off ;-) and fight your way through the Agner Fog's nice guides:
    http://www.agner.org/optimize/microarchitecture.pdf

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Whats the point of that, singelcores are dead, even for notebooks (beside for UMPCs, but even there dualcores take over)?

They need a chip that is dirt cheap and consumes next to nothing, and perform a bit better then atom -> zing amd would own the whole sub 400€ market.

Just look at the success of atom. Even if you strip down phenom 2 off everything it wont come close the the power consumption of atom.

Amd already had massmarket SoC way befor intel (remeber cyrix? ), but they dumped it... if they would have forced the development based on MediaGX core they would have a very competentive product against Atom.

As for a competition against the centrieno platform, that depends how much impact the cache strip has on phenom phenoms performance.
    And how are the margins in the sub $400 computers components?
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwho? View Post
    Guys, if you concidere yourself a Blue team member , please let's the green team guys have their fun, it is nice to see them reviving a little, give them some space.
    Instead, get back to work, and break the 7Ghz on Core i7
    Let s squeeze the best of both platform.

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Core i7

Darth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MaJy7LH5js
    if you consider yourself a "member" of any company, you're bending over. we're customers, not team members. please, stop swinging your corporate ballsack in my face already.

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast