Thread: For $10 more on a small loop:

Xtreme Member

For $10 more on a small loop:

Is the MCP355 going to get me a significant amount more performance than the MCP350 on a small CPU, chipset, video card loop? I'm also using a smaller rad (the Swiftech MCR 220). I also never plan to expand the loop (by adding another video card or anything).

What do you think? Worth the extra $10 considering this?

I am Xtreme
    I will only buy MCP350's from Newegg and perform the solder mod from now on.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    I will only buy MCP350's from Newegg and perform the solder mod from now on.
    agreed, ive done it to over 2 of them now

Xtreme Member
    Heh, I'd ask you all to enlighten me if I had any experience with a soldering iron whatsoever. That said, can someone please tell me how difficult it would be to replace the pump top with this reservoir if one had no experience doing so?

Xtreme Member
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    Heh, I'd ask you all to enlighten me if I had any experience with a soldering iron whatsoever. That said, can someone please tell me how difficult it would be to replace the pump top with this reservoir if one had no experience doing so?
    It's super easy if you can pay attention and turn a screw driver. Video link (not the same top but. it goes together the same way)

Also, the solder mod is fairly simple as it only requires a blob of sloder to be put down.
    Last edited by Waterlogged; 12-04-2008 at 11:33 AM.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    you dont really need to solder it you could use some conductive ink to jump the two points, or hot glue a piece of copper between the points, there are infinite solutions. soldering is just the best/proper way to do it.

as for the the res top its simply unscrewing 4 screws, replacing the top and screwing 4 screws back in.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    It's super easy if you can pay attention and turn a screw driver.
    Thanks guys. If I couldn't handle that much, I'd probably be contemplating whether to buy a Dell or a Gateway rather than two water cooling pumps. I'll purchase the reservoir and the MCP350 tonight.

... and I'll look into that solder mod, it seems to be pretty easy. Certainly easy enough that, if I couldn't do it, I'm sure the guy I plan on borrowing the soldering iron from could.

Xtreme Addict
    4 screws.

It's that easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef in regards to Thermaltake water cooling
    you'd be better off cooling your components with a fire....

Xtreme Member
    Heres a manual for the XSPC res: http://www.xs-pc.co.uk/manuals/ddcres.pdf

Xtreme Member
    ^Best thing i've seen on this forum since the first official 4800 benchmarks^

oooh, exciting.

Xtreme Member
    I love that....

As everyone has said ... it's very easy. Even I can do it One hint ... make sure you don't lose the large o-ring in the process (I accidentally dropped one on the floor, but fortunately found it before starting the pump).

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    As everyone has said ... it's very easy. Even I can do it One hint ... make sure you don't lose the large o-ring in the process (I accidentally dropped one on the floor, but fortunately found it before starting the pump).
    I had a close one like that too, the o-ring came off with the old top, never noticed until the new top was on and was boxing up the old one

Xtreme Addict
    That is sig worthy.

Xtreme Member
    It was hard to do! Lining up the four screw holes was tough.

Nah, like everyone said, its super easy to do.

Xtreme Member
    Yep, at this point the concern is alleviated. I just wasn't sure if it was a simple processor or more like dismantling a bomb where there were wires connecting the top to the bottom that I had to carefully sever and splice somewhere else or the whole thing would run-a-muck and intentionally spray water all over my components.

Hamster Powered
    Just remember, alter the pump wiring and the warranty is out the door.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGfever View Post
    Just remember, alter the pump wiring and the warranty is out the door.
    I probably won't do it right away because I don't have the cash to by my Moncaso 972B case. I'll just be installing this in a box next to my mid tower for now. Once, I get the case, I plan on doing the mod. Hopefully, I can find someone at one of the comp shops in my area that have done this mod before.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cian1500ww View Post
    I had a close one like that too, the o-ring came off with the old top, never noticed until the new top was on and was boxing up the old one
    Heh heh......and that would be the "pay attention" part.

Hey Shazza, did you ever get that stain out of that love seat/couch?
    Circles SucQ!

Xtreme Addict
    In a basic loop like that, you will see no performance difference between a regular MCP350 and one that is modded to a 355, especially using the XSPC reservoir. The only difference you are going to see is that the pump will be louder.