Quote Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
Yes, there is something wrong. In Vista (64-bit only?), disable Windows Audio service, and then it will run fine. There is a script somewhere on this forum that will stop the audio service, run SuperPiMod XS, and restart Vista's audio service.

One assumes that the program is hooking into audio DirectX to detect cheating, but that it doesn't quite work with some Vista audio drivers. I get this issue too.

I ran the 32M and got "0h 10m 23.797s" (i7 @ 3660 (20x183), uncore @ 3302, 3 x 2GB DDR3-1464 @ 7-7-6-18-1T).
I had this bug at one point, i never had to stop that service but i did have to make sure there were no sounds playing during the calculation. This includes the chime that plays just as the "now start to calculate" box pops up, which meant at first i thought it was just crashing in general, but in fact if i waited a second til the chime sound ended then pressed ok it worked no problems.

I'm not sure if you can mute the sound or something and that works too, if not i guess stopping the service is needed for those longer calcs.