Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

Thread: The LCD Buyers Guide

Newegg has the 960BF for $379+$10 shipping=$389, thinking about getting it to go with my white Antec P150 case, anyone know much about its pro's and con's? I've seen mixed reports on ghosting from cnet/Amazon.com user reviews, no professional reviews out yet. Thanks for any input.

Why is Samsung the only company cashing in on the white gloss "ipod style" craze, I guess is makes sense, since they are one of the few makers to put any style into their monitors to begin with.
    9nda3+ // 3200+ Winchester (10x250=2500mhz, vcore +0.2v) // 2x512 Patriot +XBLK TCCD (DDR500 1t 2.5-3-3-6, vdimm 2.8v)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by swiharta
    Newegg has the 960BF for $379+$10 shipping=$389, thinking about getting it to go with my white Antec P150 case, anyone know much about its pro's and con's? I've seen mixed reports on ghosting from cnet/Amazon.com user reviews, no professional reviews out yet. Thanks for any input.

Why is Samsung the only company cashing in on the white gloss "ipod style" craze, I guess is makes sense, since they are one of the few makers to put any style into their monitors to begin with.
    Since you're mentioning Newegg as a store where you could buy a LCD, Im guessing you live eather in the US or in Canada.
    If you can buy from NewEgg, dont buy the Samsung 960BF.
    Right now you can get the L90D+ for $300, which is a nice TN panel that doesnt have ghosting and it's cheaper. The LCD has a silver frame and a black base. IMO, it's good enough to match your iPod theme.

I wish I could get the Hyundai Q90u in the states, that looks to be better than the L90D+, from the review on behardware.com. There's even a glowing review in PCworld for that monitor, but I haven't seen any signs that it is coming to the states.

As for the L90D+, I think I'd like to avoid a 6-bit panel with poor viewing angles. Do you know what panel is in the 960BF? Other LCD's with the same panel?

Style is important for this situation, as is price, but gaming isn't really a priority. Hence the 960BF looks like a good compromise, but again there are limited opinions out there right now. I think the style alone is worth another $75-100 but thats just me.
    9nda3+ // 3200+ Winchester (10x250=2500mhz, vcore +0.2v) // 2x512 Patriot +XBLK TCCD (DDR500 1t 2.5-3-3-6, vdimm 2.8v)

Xtreme Addict
    I wish I could get the Hyundai Q90u in the states, that looks to be better than the L90D+, from the review on behardware.com. There's even a glowing review in PCworld for that monitor, but I haven't seen any signs that it is coming to the states.

As for the L90D+, I think I'd like to avoid a 6-bit panel with poor viewing angles. Do you know what panel is in the 960BF? Other LCD's with the same panel?

Style is important for this situation, as is price, but gaming isn't really a priority. Hence the 960BF looks like a good compromise, but again there are limited opinions out there right now. I think the style alone is worth another $75-100 but thats just me.
    PRAD says that the 960BF is a TN panel
    My guess is that the 960BF is a 940BF update, the same way the VX924 is an update of the VX924, and the VP930B is an update of the VP191b.
    http://www.prad.de/en/guide/screen2467.html

There are verry little choices with a white or silver bezel.
    The Q90u, L90D+, 930BF, and 960BF are all TN panels anyway. Anything TN will have 16.2 Million colors (6-bit).

The only 8-bit panels with a white or silver bezel cover that's close to your price range and doesnt have as much ghosting is the Samsung 770P and 970P. Both are P-PVA panels with a 6ms response time. The 17" has a higher contrast ratio than the 19" version.

If you cant get those, then my last option would be the Apple Cinema 20" LCD, which can be as low as $600 if you buy it through "Education" on the apple site.

You can get the 970p for $580 with Free 2 Day shipping on ZipZoomFly.com, and I dont know where you can get the 770p in the US
    Last edited by Turok; 02-11-2006 at 12:16 PM.

What was the 940bf like compared to the 930bf? I still think the 960bf could be a decent monitor, it has a larger viewing angle than the L90D+, and Samsung monitors usually have decent color calibration.

Xtreme Addict
    What was the 940bf like compared to the 930bf? I still think the 960bf could be a decent monitor, it has a larger viewing angle than the L90D+, and Samsung monitors usually have decent color calibration.
    I think the 960BF is exactly like the 930BF, but white. Use the 930BF reviews for reference.
    You could get the 960BF, or the L90D+ (since it also has some white/silver on the bezel)
    The L90D+ is like $80 cheaper, but the 960BF looks like it has a better bezel and it's faster and has other stuff like wider viewing angles

L90D+

960BF

My 2005 FPW arrived yesterday.

Hasn't got any dead pixel. No light leaking that I could see.
    It's a great monitor.
    I'll post my review as soon as my video card arrives as with my Diamond Stealth 4Mb I can't play any new games or watch movies.

Intel Core i5 2500k
    ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3
    16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    Evga GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 GB
    Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Intelbras Wi-Fi N adapter
    Corsair AX850

Xtreme Cruncher
    good to know you have it...

hope you enjoy it....
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Member
    I got my 2005FPW on Friday. This thing is awesome. Gaming is awesome on this thing, even games that don't support the native res (BF2) still look great.

I got my 2005FPW on Friday. This thing is awesome. Gaming is awesome on this thing, even games that don't support the native res (BF2) still look great.
    There seems to be a mod that opens 1680x1080 resolution for some games.
    It has something to do with the windows registry.
    Last edited by sviola; 02-15-2006 at 05:17 PM.

Intel Core i5 2500k
    Corsair AX850

Quote Originally Posted by Istasi
    Did you got any software for color calibration on your monitor?

Intel Core i5 2500k
    Corsair AX850

XS_THE_MACHINE
    a) What do you guys think of the Samsung 244T? b) Is it better for gaming than the Dell (heard the 2405FPW was really poor for gaming). c) Or is it better to wait for the upcoming new S-IPS panels (don't really know anything about them), d) any idea when they're coming?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    I have a feeling that in 5 years. WD, Seagate etc will be some unknown names.
    (Posted by Shintai, 08-18-2008)

Xtreme Cruncher
    2405fpw poor for gaming???????

you should do some search and see all the good reviews of ppl playing with 2405fpw i play with one and i just love it sad is a lot of games doesnt suppor native resolution

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Sorry bro, didn't mean to offend anyone lev! I expressed myself a bit harsh, I admit...

I was mostly thinking of the famous behardware review. Also, there's some delay in the Dell (compared to other LCDs) and lots of reviews seem to complain about ghosting. Also you said in your very guide PVA isn't really the perfect technique for gaming (16 ms makes no difference compared to 25 ms etc, so I do have something to walk on).

Anyway, sorry for expressing it like "poor" (I know you have one, and I had no intention of offending you in any way mate!), what I meant was simply: Is the Samsung 244T "slightly" better? (Since you and the rest of LCD Buyers Guide's authors seem to be the ones in the know!) And any idea how soon the new S-IPS LCDs will come (and if they will be noticably better than the 244T)?

I'm also a bit interested in the Acer with 6ms (how it compares to the 244T and the Dell). Please just disregard my blasphemous statement earlier, the Dell isn't bad by any means (I was simply wondering whether it is the very best) and concentrate on my actual questions.

Thanks!

Xtreme Cruncher
    the dell is good enough the guide says is not the best, but as i do lot of ppl cant see ghosting in native resolution

the good thing about the samsung 244t is the hdpc support so you can watch hd videos without problems

you didnt offend me just wanted to point you to some reviews or actual owners and users of the lcd so you will see others opinions

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Ok apart from the HDCP feature, would the 244T be a better LCD for gaming than the 2405FPW?

Seems I misunderstood, apologies again

Xtreme Addict
    The best 21" and 24" LCDs are, without doubt, the Eizo S2110W (21" LCD) and Eizo S2410W-K (24" LCD)
    The problem is that they are VERRY expensive and they dont support HDCP.
    The 21" Eizo is about $1000 (USD) and the 24" is about $1800 (USD)
    Ill have to add these two LCD to the guide eventually for anyone who is willing to spend that much money for the highest quality LCD in it's category in everything.

Behind the 21" Eizo is the Belinea 102035w (20" LCD), and I would have to say that the Dell 2405fpw is behind the Eizo 24" because of the overal quality.

If you can wait a bit, according to gr8golf on XS, there's a rumor that the 2407fpw will be released early March.
    If it's true, then they may end up showing it off at CeBIT.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=89925
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8golf
    Just saw on widescreengamingforum.com that someone has a release date for the Dell 2407 in early March. It looked like it had some pretty good specs - better than the 2407. I just boxed up my 2407 to send back to Dell to wait for the new version.
    What I know so far is that the 2007fpw and 2407fpw will be a 2005fpw and 2405fpw refresh with technology improvements (probably faster and better IQ) and will be HDCP ready
    Last edited by Turok; 02-20-2006 at 04:37 PM.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Turok, I'm a member of WSGF so I've read the thread in question. Basically, it seems the new 2407FPW won't be worse, but not much better either. The main thing in focus is the addition of HDCP to the future set.

2407 thread
    http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...pic.php?t=3240
    Article
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=793
    Pictures (posted by maherie, not from article... unknown "insider" source)

Then this seems more interesting to me: Advanced S-IPS New Panels thread
    http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...pic.php?t=3046

So, basically, your advice is to wait a bit longer? That's fine with me, but I'm getting a little fed up with waiting. Been waiting for long time... loooong time. lol

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Turok, basically, you say get this one over any other, including this one. If these are the ones, price is no problem at all. Only 3000 SEK difference, just 30% extra (or roughly 377,33 USD according to FOREX).

Is that Eizo the right one (the very pinnacle of widescreen LCD 24" beauty gaming performance)? Or, is it the wrong model?

Thanks a lot!

Edit: Do you think the linked Eizo will beat the 2407 (ignoring HDCP feature) in games.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by krille
    Edit: Do you think the linked Eizo will beat the 2407 (ignoring HDCP feature) in games.
    That Eizo is the one I mentioned above.
    The best 24" LCD to date. Check out this review from PRAD:
    http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/revie...-s2410w-k.html

If you're going to spend that much money for that LCD, I would recommend eather the Eizo 24" LCD, or he 3007fpw for a bit more.
    If you get eather one, please post a mini-review for the guide

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Turok > I just banged out some cash for FX-60 + new mobo and some other neat stuff. I'm also planning a custom WC system. So my economy is a little strained atm (as I'm sure you understand!!), so I'm not sure when I'll get the LCD _now_, but if nothing better has come out till then, the Eizo may very well be the one LCD for me.

However I read over at WSGF somewhere Eizo wasn't optimal for gaming...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter
    It's a balance between response time and colour accuracy. The Eizo panels are great for colour accuracy, but generally have a terrible response time. Gaming panels sacrifice colours for faster response times.

If you can buy one from somewhere that has a good returns policy, or can see one 'in the flesh' in a store, that might be a good idea...
    I had seen something more, but I can't remember where. Anyway, I made a thread about it overthere too.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...?p=26192#26192

Basically I wonder the same things both here and there. One of those is: In the case I go Eizo, should I go white or black version? (Now I'm not talking about looks, because black is definitely more appealing, rather what would be better ergonomically?)

Thanks!!

I came across a Viewsonic monitor that looks good to me, but can't realy tell if it is good or not. It's specification and price is in the range that I consider affordable. It's the Viesonic VA2012W.

Here's the info -- http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Pr...E2/VA2012w.htm .

As I was saying I'm not shure how good or bad it is in the real life...and I would not like to buy it *blindly.* There are few reviews, moust are not excatly what you could call great so I was wandering if someone from xtremesystems is owing one and maybe could share some information about it?

Main use for that monitor for me would be video watching, gaming and text reading.

Thank's.
    Last edited by StrikeRTM; 02-27-2006 at 10:20 AM.

Strike, my friend kohan got that monitor and he said it ghosted pretty bad and didnt have the greatest image quality... but if your looking for large monitor for a cheap price i suppose it will do.. just dont expect wonders from it.

I click on the link to MaxxxRacer's mini review, and I think it's the post saying "this monitor is fck'n awsome". Then I scrolled down....

Anyway I too have the VP930b and love it too. And the only problem that it has is the X-light backlight leakage. Now apparently Viewsonic KNOWS about this yet they don't fix it???
    Not that it's really a problem though as it's only visable on a black screen.

Xtreme Member
    Anyone can tell me a email of reseller of DELL for LatinAmerica¿? im in Argentina i need some mail or phone of reseller to order my lcd 2005fpw Thanks All!

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast