Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Xtreme Grand Prix discussion

Xtreme Addict
    Super_Pi is not multi-threaded. Like I said earlier, none of the tests are, so there is no need for separate catagories.
    Last edited by LilGator; 06-14-2005 at 10:42 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Is SuperPi limited to windows results based on an x86 version?

Ker-Pow !
    Yes Im aware of it not being multi threaded, hence why I asked. Do any different rules apply or a different way at all ?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by thewildblue
    Yes Im aware of it not being multi threaded, hence why I asked. Do any different rules apply or a different way at all ?
    eh?
    My brain hurts ...

Explain...

Fission:

While I'm fairly certain there are Linux builds of SPi, I imagine the Super_Pi run will require using this build: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=54389
    Last edited by LilGator; 06-14-2005 at 11:08 AM.

Ker-Pow !
    Nevermind it was just a query. I think Im getting confused now as well....lol

Xtreme Enthusiast
    LilGator sounds like an awesome breakdown, one thing though, is it even possible to have multi GPU with 4 pipes (6200 sli?).
    Last edited by Stuperman; 06-14-2005 at 01:04 PM.
    Microsoft's homepage can be found at: thesource-dot-ofallevil-dot-com - interesting, no?

Think of something witty and imagine it here.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Sounds good, but please no dos based benches...I'm lazy, plus I need a64 and clockgen to overclock more than BIOS will let me...
    6800U 31.7K '01*15.8K '03*7.2K '05

...building a dual 254 rig on the MSI K8N Master2-FAR SLI

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuperman
    LilGator sounds like an awesome breakdown, one thing though, is it even possible to have multi GPU with 4 pipes (6200 sli?).
    LOL, no, I was copy/pasting like mad ... Honestly I really think breaking it down that far is a tad ridiculous...

drcrawn, there aren't any DOS benches here, all in Windows ... ClockGen away !

I am Xtreme
    Count me in!
    CPU: 3000+ DTR clawhammer dry ice cooled
    mobo: DFI LP UT
    ram: 256 meg BH5 stick
    GPU: 6800nu 16/6 volt modded cooled by ice water or phasechange depending on what I can get
    PSU: TTGI 520 watt with modded rails

I think we have to lower the classes. With 32 classes just about everyone is a winner... I think it should be AMD and Intel than each divided by cooling. Sure, ATI pwnz Nvidia in 3d01 but it will make you push harder and you can always make up in other areas.

Question:
    Since dry ice isint something you can run every day would we be allowed to run everything in a few bench sessions and save them until the time they are to be posted? I have to steal my video card from my gaming PC to benchmark so I'd like to run all my benchmarks in 2 or 3 shots and be done.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah, count me in too 4 pipes for now, 8 pipes when my 9800pro gets here

see sig, oh, all air 4 me.
    I really need to find some nice PC4000 to get the best out of my system.

p.s. when does this start?
    Microsoft's homepage can be found at: thesource-dot-ofallevil-dot-com - interesting, no?

Xtreme Member
    Stuperman,

6200 GPUs don't support SLI, and I would recommend ditching the VIA board before replacing your RAM. Sounds like you and me may be the ones duking it out for A64/8-pipe/air/cheap via motherboard. I look forward to seeing you on the battlefield.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @fission

I know my mobo is crap, but from what i've read the only decent oc'ing 939 AGP board is the MSI K8N Neo 2 platinum, and it's bios's for that have been pretty limiting of late.

I do have an AGP/PCI lock, so my HTT does 255~ stable, I think new ram is more pressing at the moment.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by afireinside
    Count me in!
    CPU: 3000+ DTR clawhammer dry ice cooled
    mobo: DFI LP UT
    ram: 256 meg BH5 stick
    GPU: 6800nu 16/6 volt modded cooled by ice water or phasechange depending on what I can get
    PSU: TTGI 520 watt with modded rails

I think we have to lower the classes. With 32 classes just about everyone is a winner... I think it should be AMD and Intel than each divided by cooling. Sure, ATI pwnz Nvidia in 3d01 but it will make you push harder and you can always make up in other areas.

Question:
    Since dry ice isint something you can run every day would we be allowed to run everything in a few bench sessions and save them until the time they are to be posted? I have to steal my video card from my gaming PC to benchmark so I'd like to run all my benchmarks in 2 or 3 shots and be done.

So, is splitting up into AMD vs. iNTEL more important than SiNGLE vs. MULTi GPUs ? Adding AMD / iNTEL separation causes 16 categories, instead of 8...

What you guys think ...?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    im in but one suggestion:

For high end cooling,

Waterchilled based
    Sinlge Stage Phase change
    Cascades
    LN/DI

That's the way to split it up. It's not fair to have -10C mach1 loaded against -195C loaded cascade
    3770k @ 5ghz 1.35v linx stable
    Asus Maximus V Extreme
    8gb Samsung Green @ 2600mhz 11-11-11-31
    EVGA GTX 680
    Corsair AX850
    XSPC Watercooling

I am Xtreme
    How about we make the SLI guys run with just one card?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    that would simplify things, only single card setups.
    I am worried about people putting thier modded 6200's in the 4 pipe catigory though (and other such cheats).

Xtreme Guru
    my other 4 pipes don't work
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Count me in :p
    Opteron 170 @ 3.0Ghz on air, Opteron 144 @ 3.1Ghz on air

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fink
    count me in.

not the best system, but i think it will really make fun to tweak the system for every benchmark.

question: if i have a very good old run with the same hardware, can i use it or must i re-run the bench in the "one" week?
    the only results that count for this competition are those you reached during the one week window for each benchmark. otherwise people could just post their old highscores in different benchmarks, wich isnt the idea of the competition, the idea is to make people tweak their systems to a max in a limited time of one week for each benchmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ackbar
    I'd recommend including prizes proportional to the category you enter. So if you enter the lightweight X300/6200 category and win, you get a lesser prize than if you entered the X850 XTPE/6800 Ultra category.

Actually, along these lines, I'd rather see an endurance test competition! Not just one run, but you'd have to be able to loop the test at least some arbitrarily large number of times so people who aren't stable will have to work to get their systems stable and not just able to make one good run!

Let the games begin!
    IF we get prizes
    i actually thougt of a different prizing system. the "wheel of fortune" system

we have several prizes and the highest rank can pick a prize first, then the second rank can pick another prize etc... so the winners can pick whatever they prefer of all the prizes. this is a usefull system imo since we might set something up as the prize for rankX that the person who reaches that rank doesnt really want/need

Quote Originally Posted by Highland3r
    Will the benchmarks be weighted? ie. Those of us with say a 9800pro cant really compete in 01/03/05/aquamark against those running say an X800 or SLI/crossfire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy McShades
    could you make a seperate sli/amr division its kinda stupid running 1 card against 2. how exactly are you going to place people into divisions ? by gpu and cpu speed or by cooling?
    as i said, we will split it up into categories to make it fair

Quote Originally Posted by SillySider03
    I do have 1 tiny idea...Maybe get rid of pi fast because Super Pi is already there. Instead use Cinebench, or something similar, that has a timed feature as well. Or just get rid of it all together - IMO Pi isn't very "3D".
    hmmm i like the idea, will talk with troman about it

lilgator, the idea to make the relevance of the different benchmark results dependant on the scores compared to the world record is a great idea imo!!!
    thx for the help man!

Quote Originally Posted by Troman
    ...No where is Saaya when you need his input on this
    sorry bro, my allergy is giving me a hard time :/

i think its best to decide what categories we are going for once we already have results and while the competition is already running, that way we can apply different ideas to split the different people into categories using the results of the people in the competition, and then see wich idea works best.

lilgator, same thing, i think its best to see some results when the competition started and is running alreay and then in week2 decide what system of categorizing would work beast to evenly split the field of competitors

Quote Originally Posted by =[PULSAR]=
    I absolutely agree with you gator w/e the highest level of cooling on the system is, thats the category it should be in. Just my opinion but the categories should just be split up into cooling and SLI/non-SLI. No point in having an overall category cause obviously phase/DI/waterchilled is going to win.
    yeah, i agree as well

i think we should split results into categories depending on what cooling is used in the system, not only on the card. if the cpu is watercooled it should be in the watercooling category, if we decide to make a watercooling category of course, since better cpu cooling gives you a higher score with the same videocard clocks.

Thats what i said

amd vs intel-->3dmark01?fair?
    well thats the idea! some cards and cpus are faster in one bench and slower in another, now using a set of benches creates an overall result and makes up for the lower scores one piece of hardware might get in one of the benches

Quote Originally Posted by Fission
    EDIT - Where do we register our specs/pics?
    in this thread:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=65853

Quote Originally Posted by afireinside
    Question:
    hmmm i can think about it but id say no atm, youd have to go for one dry ice run every week for every bench hmmm
    the idea is to weekly update the results and create some tension with a show down of the last benchmark results in the last weeks
    if somebody posts his results before the competition showdown then it takes away the idea of the grand prix, get what i mean...

another question that might come up:
    can i compete in several categores? ie with a 6600gt and also bench on a 9800pro? or bench with two different rigs?

and the answer is no, as it would increase your chance to win something wich is unfair imo, everybody gets one chance with one rig so to say
    Last edited by saaya; 06-15-2005 at 06:25 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i set up the rules for the competition HERE

if you have a question please read the rules first to see if it has been answered already. if not then post here or pm me and i will answer it and add it to the rules

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    i think its best to decide what categories we are going for once we already have results and while the competition is already running, that way we can apply different ideas to split the different people into categories using the results of the people in the competition, and then see wich idea works best.

lilgator, same thing, i think its best to see some results when the competition started and is running alreay and then in week2 decide what system of categorizing would work beast to evenly split the field of competitors
    Makes sense, I like it.

i think we should split results into categories depending on what cooling is used in the system, not only on the card. if the cpu is watercooled it should be in the watercooling category, if we decide to make a watercooling category of course, since better cpu cooling gives you a higher score with the same videocard clocks.
    :thumbsup:

well thats the idea! some cards and cpus are faster in one bench and slower in another, now using a set of benches creates an overall result and makes up for the lower scores one piece of hardware might get in one of the benches
    Agree completely.

Xtreme Mentor
    When will the first week exactly start cause well waiting for a couple things to RMA and my credit card bill to come to see how much $$$ I have to play with

Xtreme Addict
    ever heard of northwood ,prescott...al great cpu's...but amd is raping them for sure in that benchmark...
    fact is how many people own a dothan? 10?5?
    Hmm, of the systems registered so far, two are iNTEL ... ahem ... both are Dothans

Xtreme X.I.P.
    the competition should launch in 2-3 weeks i think, sounds good to you troman?
    i want it all to be thougt through well and organized

btw, if anybody has time to help with this competition it would be much appreciated!
    im trying to get the mbot working for this so it can automatically collect the scores posted in a thread and filter the highest score for each user and make a high score list, but im not sure if it will work out, so we might need help to make those lists manually. if anybody wants to help please pm me

I am Xtreme
    Well that sucks about the dry ice Luckyly if we are only running 1 bench a week I can get away with only buying 10 lb of the stuff instead of 20. Half the price

Will tweaking of the cooling be allowed? Like if you are doing dry ice could you re design your tube? Or if phasechange could you tweak your charge or improve sub cooling or something else to reach lower temps? How about piling an extra 5 delta fans on your heatsink if room temps jump up?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast