Thread: Guide To WaterCooling and Leak Testing - ALL New WaterCooler's Read Before Posting!

Threaded View

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xenolith
    Thanks for answering thunderstruck.

Maze4 GPU blocks have "warranty void if opened" stickers on them.

So should I replace the plastic barbs that come with the Storm with the more durable nickel plated barbs, or is it not necessary to take that part of the block apart for yearly maintenance?

Looks like I'm going to have fun taking my loop apart and do a proper pre-install.
    Well, your CPU warranty is void if OCed, but did that stop you? Well, the sticker on the maze4 shouldn't either.

As for barbs on the storm, it's not necessary, but it offers some benefits.
    -more durable. the plastic barbs may crack or warp after time.
    -looks much better
    -EK barbs provide less turbulence due to slightly bigger OD

Also, from Mr.VirtualRain:

Material: Plastic vs. Metal

Plastic fittings can be nylon, poly(something), or acetal. Most Swiftech stuff comes with plastic barb fittings. The main consideration in using these kind of fittings is that if you are using the widely recommended 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs that are plastic, you will not be able to easily remove the tubing once it is on. In fact, you will probably have to heat up the tubing to get it soft enough to put it on and then you will likely have to cut it off.

Metal fittings are typically nickel plated brass. They look good and have the benefit of allowing 7/16" tubing to slide onto 1/2" barbs forming a good leak-proof seal (even without clamps) yet the tubing can still be pulled of with some force without damaging the fitting or tubing.
    Also, you won't believe how dirty your blocks are if you've never cleaned them....
    Last edited by thunderstruck!; 10-18-2006 at 02:10 PM.
    Heatware: 50-0-0
    Quote Originally Posted by Charile
    I believe that GWB, who may NOT be the best overclocking CPU in the tray...
    Quote Originally Posted by -thc-(cZ) View Post
    oh c'mon, maxxx, kick that cat of that monitor and have it poop for you