Page 1 of 22 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: all vmod for all 6800

all vmod for all 6800

Because i see numerous threads about 6800's vmod, i think a big one with all 6800 research and how-to concerning voltmodding those cards must be very interesting.

THIS POST IS CURRENTLY RE-EDITED FOR MOST MODDER-FRIENDLY HOW-TO

keep an eye on it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Model : 6800 LE / 6800 NU --- Interface : AGP

Locate ISL6534 on the rear of the board

Needed : 2 VR ( 100 K must be preferred cause, lower can unvolontary increase a lot voltages )
    Vmod : Vmem, Vgpu
    Voltage reading point : you can fond them on TP## points, they look like small little holes.
    locate TP1 for memory voltages reading point
    locate TP11 for core voltages reading point

connect a VR between a color point ( choose only one of them per color ) and the ground

green = core voltage
    red = Vdd+Vddq

[g]sorry for the poor picture, i will post a better one later with better explanations.. because of my study, i haven't much time to take it [/g]

capacitors mod ( usefull to improve voltages stability ) :

memory : add an extra capacitor between TP1 and GND ( ~3300 µF ~12V, too large capacitor can result in a boot fail because of a lack of power )

core : add an extra capacitor between existing core cap and GND

original thread :Here

2.1 Model : 6800 GT / ASUS 6800 GE (? need a confirmation ?) --- Interface : AGP

see on VR internet site

2.2 Model : 6800 GT / 6800 U / ASUS 6800 GE--- Interface : AGP

see on VR internet site

3. Model : 6800 --- Interface : PCI-E

not done yet

4. Model : 6800 GT / U --- Interface : PCI-E

not done yet

i will edit this post everytime new interesting things will be discovered

if you want someone to search a vmod for an unsupported card, post high-resolution pictures of both sides of the card.

if you want to correct my post ( i've a poor english sorry ) don't hesitate
    Last edited by Del Gro Badeu; 01-26-2005 at 07:18 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is the only 6800Ultra volt mod I've found: http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=926&s=1

We still need to work out the voltage measuring points for the 6800LE/NU cards.

it will be interesting to know what is the IC used on 6800 GT / U / GE to regulate voltages. ( you can see it on pic of the link above )

if somenone know, don't hesitate to tell us

anybody know where voltade reading points for 6800 AGP

AMD Athlon XP 1.8Ghz@2.4Ghz & AMD Athlon 64 1.8Ghz@2.21Ghz
    Abit NF7-S | vdd 2.0v & vdimm 3.2v voltmod by 2PiZZa | Bios D23 3D-FIRE Reversion 2 by TicTak | Drivers Nforce Remix Rebirth 3.31a by Mwarhead's аnd 64 Chaintech Zenit ZNF3-250 vdimm 3.2
    Video 1: GeForce4 Ti4200 GPU350Mhz Ram650Mhz VGPU 1.88v & VDimm 2.9v
    Video 2: GeForce2 MX/MX400 GPU290 Ram190 VGPU 2.2v voltmod & biosmod by HeI*0DЯN
    Video 3: HIS ATI Radeon 9800PRO GPU650 RAM550 - VGPU2.8!!! mod by Ne|*odDяN
    Video 4: Axle nVidia GeForce 6800 *mhz/900mhz
    Video 5: Asus ax800pro 370mhz/1200mhz

Here is some updated info for modding 6800

FB1 = core voltage , represented by green color in picture above

FB2 = Vdd+Vddq, red color, there is no separate adjustment for VDDQ, because it is not needed.

FB3 = reference 3,3 V , dont know yet for what is this used for

For voltage measurement there is lot of TP points. They are holes in the PCB where you can measure voltages.

TP1 is memory voltage , it is between memory and capasitors on lower right corner of the card, if you are looking card from front side. These points can allso be found on backside of the card because they are holes, as i mentioned earlier.

For measuring core voltage there is no TP, but there is couple of points just left side from that voltage regulating IC where the voltage can be measured.
    Last edited by zadah; 12-29-2004 at 01:35 AM.

ok, i've partially edited the first post

I wasn't sure for what was really all Vouts, so this why i've copy here what the datasheet says.

thanks for sharing these new informations

If you want to improve your memories overclock capabilties, you should add extra capasitor between GND an TP1 this gives major performance boost to DDR, because Cards own capasitor is too weak... i personally used 3300 uF 10 V capasitor and i was able to overclock my memory to 1010 Mhz on 2,82 V
    Without that cap you get hungs an black screens....

And if you want to measure core voltage it is TP11

wow, more help than i expected, really thank you, i will update the first post in few hours

have you some pics of your modded card ?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zadah
    If you want to improve your memories overclock capabilties, you should add extra capasitor between GND an TP1 this gives major performance boost to DDR, because Cards own capasitor is too weak... i personally used 3300 uF 10 V capasitor and i was able to overclock my memory to 1010 Mhz on 2,82 V
    Without that cap you get hungs an black screens....

And if you want to measure core voltage it is TP11
    Past 1Ghz on DDR1 memory!!!

Not tried soldering a capacitor on to a board before, anyone who has managed to successfully perform this mod capacitor add-on please post high res pics with clear instructions.

http://kotinetti.suomi.net/antti.salmela/modded.JPG

Here is the link to picture, with spotted point for wires. There is no need for soldering the PCB of the card, because there is good holes for wires. You can use anything for ground, it isnt necessary to use the cards "ground hole", you can allso use molex connectors ground.

You can allso use that same + pole for monitoring DDR voltage.

I cant take picture of my own card,I found this one from here http://koti.mbnet.fi/mrvellu/gf6800le/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Cheers for the info.

I have an NV5 installed and it uses only the 4 screw holes at the centre of the card, I'm gonna performing the memory volt mod first then test it before adding an extra capacitor on the board.

Since there is unused screw holes next to the soldering points, I was thinking maybe I could route the two black and red wires to the front of the card hooked up to the extra capacitor which would be hot glued to an empty space on the front PCB near the other capacitors...

EDIT: can't seem to find a 3300 uF 10v capacitor that you stated, I take it these ones are a bit overkill for the job: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...dID=&doy=29m12

:banana4:
    Last edited by stealthbomber; 12-29-2004 at 08:21 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    hey please post in this thread. i want to do this but not sure it will work
    http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48577
    all the seasoned volt modders have left this sub forum
    Quote Originally Posted by bh2k
    sorry m, OI'm a bit drunkz!
    Air benches with 3000+, DFI nf3 and 6800GT 2001SE: 26312 3d03: 13028

I had a 6800LE that only clocked 300:520.

Did this cap mod with a 2200uF and dropped Vddr to 2.66V.. now it does 300:840 and rising (not OC gpu yet)

What you think about extra cap on the GPU rail??? The Vref rail is TP5 to Gnd and controlled by the chip between TP5 and TP1 ( http://www.anpec.com.tw/products/dow...31/APL5331.htm )
    Think this rail needs a cap too??

Nice one Zahda for the info, your a diamond!!!

Bila

EDIT: It was one of the 6800LE with the black screen crash
    Last edited by Bilabong; 12-29-2004 at 02:33 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Edit: nevermind now, I was confused about the rated voltage of the caps as I can't seem to find a 10v one until an EE guy told me the rating is only the max the cap can handle.
    Last edited by stealthbomber; 12-29-2004 at 05:53 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilabong
    What you think about extra cap on the GPU rail??? The Vref rail is TP5 to Gnd and controlled by the chip between TP5 and TP1 ( http://www.anpec.com.tw/products/dow...31/APL5331.htm )
    Think this rail needs a cap too??

Nice one Zahda for the info, your a diamond!!!

Bila

EDIT: It was one of the 6800LE with the black screen crash

Would this have anything to do with the missing cap at the front of the PCB?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GF6800_PCB_Front.gif 
Views:	9333 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	21711  

I used a 3300uF 16V cap; however, at the stock voltage it has no effect.

I measured the voltage across those 2 points becuase zadah mentioned that the plus can be used to measure the DDR voltage. It shows as 2.694V, what do you guys recommend - 2.8V?

Also when performing the vddr mod (RED), my first point is leg 4 of the ISL6534 and any of the other red points, correct.

One thing I dont understand is that 12KOhm in the diagram when 20 is recomended in another place.

thanks for the info
    Last edited by vortex240; 12-29-2004 at 07:22 PM.

First of all, i think the maxium size of the capasitor is around 10000 uF, there is no use for bigger...but ofcourse you can use bigger if you want. But you must realize that when capasitor gets big enough, the regulator chips may fail on boot up, because of very high charging current of those caps.... But if it works after boot everything is fine.

Ok, if you want do that VDD/VDDQ mod you connect Var.resistor from any of those red points to Ground. I recommend to use at least 100 Kohm var resistor, because if you put 20 Kohm in, voltage leaps directly to 2,85 V and you are certainly going to get problems.

Usable voltage is around 2,80 Volts if you have good pair of regulator chips on you card.

yes, right, on FB2 a 12k gives 2,97v and a 20k must offer 2.85V as you say, so vortex240 it's up to you to decide wich of 12k, 20k or 100k you're going to use

----

if somenone can give me the value of R714 between the DVI connector and the cooler hole on the back side of GF 6800. Cause i've crushed it ( you can blame me ) trying to remove the stock cooler of leadtek, and despite the card always running fine, i would like to repair this.

Xtreme Addict
    wat are you guys temps loaded
    and when u run hw monitor, on a bios that is oced past gpu default eg. my gaming bios in the summer is 400mhz, if i oc to 410 rivatuner shows it drops to 400 unless bios default is 410
    do you guys get this?
    i cant do much experimentation my card is heated to the max

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sounds like your card is throttling, my card rarely goes above ~55-65C at full load, idle GPU temps currently @42C.

not managed to watch how was the temp at idle / full

Xtreme Addict
    my room temp is 30c though
    to watch temps, open rivatuner hw monitor
    this happens to railer and hs card is cold, like 12c load

My card is 42 idle and 50 with load (NV5). The stock was about 55 idle as Gainward LE cooling is very poor.

I have fitted another cap between TP11 and Gnd to stabilize the GPU rail. 4700uF with +ve on TP11 and -Ve on Gnd allows me to overclock above 400MHz, but she blackscreens after about 30mins @ 400:850. Without this cap i get an blackscreen after 1-2 seconds.

You guys could try this... my card has allways been FUBAR as she could only clock 300:520 without any caps. Also, If i set the Vddr to >2.66V she black screens @ 300:700... so i guess i have a uniquely poor card.

Hope you have a nice new Year!!

Bila

it's party time happy new year to everyone

i will post some nice pics tomorrow ( got a cam yesterday )

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Did the vddr mod last night, only gave me 20MHz increase on the memory at around 2.9v, upping the voltage only gave me a black screen so it looks like an add-on capacitor is gonna be required.

I'm thinking about soldering on the missing capacitor at the front of the PCB board, I'll post pics once I get a chance to pop down to a maplin store (radioshack equiv. for you yanks)...

Page 1 of 22 123411 ... LastLast