Thread: [News] The bezel will be a celeb death this year

[News] The bezel will be a celeb death this year

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/mobile/...eath-this-year

This year we will see the end of the bezel, or at least phones with very slim ones.

It was a prediction we thought about last year but now the year is upon us we are starting to see rumoured phones that are close to the edge.

Xiaomi seemed to be the ground breaker for this new trend delivering the Mi Mix in 2016 and now everyone is following.

Why do we care? Smaller bezels make the screens just look cooler and more futuristic. They look less like an early iPhone which is more of a plus. You also get a bigger screen which you can use with one hand which means your left is free to smash your workmates iPhone if they are stupid enough to leave it on the desk.

The Samsung Galaxy S8 and the next iPhone will both have tiny bezels. In fact the iPhone 8 will probably get rid of its physical home button and the giant bottom bezel. LG has confirmed something similar its next flagship the LG G6.

The G6 will be particularly sexy with its 5.7-inch display with a unique 18:9 aspect ratio. To do that LG should continue its moves to reduce bezel sizes.

In fact the only thing that stands against a bezeless future is the fact that Google does not seem to be on board with its new Pixel which has a bezel the size of Kansas.

Xtreme Mentor
    bezels actually serve a purpose - avoiding bad input from fingers that are holding the phone... there better be very good "holding" detection on these phones.

Xtreme Addict
    I've got to ask, apart from scratching the 'hey I've got something new again and the buzz will last 2 weeks tops itch' where is this all going?

When even an old Galaxy S3 or Nexus phone works fine still, and runs everything one basically needs to, even games. Better camera is perhaps the only reason to upgrade from an old phone? Even then, if you're really into photo/videography, you'd have a separate camera........

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I've got to ask, apart from scratching the 'hey I've got something new again and the buzz will last 2 weeks tops itch' where is this all going?

When even an old Galaxy S3 or Nexus phone works fine still, and runs everything one basically needs to, even games. Better camera is perhaps the only reason to upgrade from an old phone? Even then, if you're really into photo/videography, you'd have a separate camera........
    I have an old Samsung Note 3 and lady at the cell phone store had a Iphone Plus and we compared phones. She was like your phone is much bigger so I put them together and my Note 3 was maybe 1/16" wider and her Iphone was a good 1/4-1/2" taller and had a smaller screen too. Mi Mix would be the only phone I would look to upgrade to since I can get a en 6.4" screen that is the same size as my Note 3 with a 5.7" screen.
    i7 6700K @4.8 ghz
    XSPC RayStorm (very nice block)
    Z170 Sabertooh ,, 32GB- Gskill (15-15-15-36 @3600 mhz) 1:1
    XFX-7970 with Swiftech Komodo nickel block
    Water Cooling - MO-RA3 Pro with 4 Silverstone 180mm @ 700 rpm, Twin Vario mcp-655 pumps
    Samsung 850-1TB SSD,, OCZ ZX-1250W (powerfull and silent)
    Crossfire 30" decent monitor for IPS too bad SED tech died

Docsis2.0 Docsis3.0

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by xlink View Post
    bezels actually serve a purpose - avoiding bad input from fingers that are holding the phone... there better be very good "holding" detection on these phones.
    I agree to a point. I like a small thin bezel on the sides for similar reasons - but I also think the bottom of the Pixel is just wasted space that should have either gone to a home button or more screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    Lots of people prefer solid state home botton. Phones will have small bezel until it will be completely gone on few years. Only apple/summy can make it right tho.

Xtreme Addict
    I'll be honest, I recently took an S7 Edge on my 2y plan because of the screen size and because the Note 7 would have made me a flight risk. The thing is impossible to type with, especially with my fat hands. So I immediately had to get a silicon back cover and return to bezel town, but at least I can type again.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriman View Post
    I'll be honest, I recently took an S7 Edge on my 2y plan because of the screen size and because the Note 7 would have made me a flight risk. The thing is impossible to type with, especially with my fat hands. So I immediately had to get a silicon back cover and return to bezel town, but at least I can type again.
    No problems with the S7 here, but that is easier to grip imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Addict
    The bezel serve an other purpose, have solid edges and avoid screen to break easily ...

Another classic case of choosing aesthetics over fuction.

Is it easier to be damaged? Who cares ... as long as it's pretty ...

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    bezel-less panels would be a more attractive feature for a TV or monitor than a phone.
    Sigs are obnoxious.