Thread: [News] Intel "Cannon Lake" Confirmed to Feature AVX-512 Instruction-Set

[News] Intel "Cannon Lake" Confirmed to Feature AVX-512 Instruction-Set

https://www.techpowerup.com/244274/i...nstruction-set

Intel updated the ARK information page for its stealthily launched 10 nm production chip, the Core i3-8121U "Cannon Lake," to confirm that the chip supports the new AVX-512 instruction-set. This is the first "mainstream" client-segment processor by the company to feature the extremely advanced instruction-set that, if implemented properly on the software side, can double performance/Watt compared to tasks that can take advantage of AVX2.

The instruction-set made its debut with the Xeon Phi "Knights Landing" HPC processor, and made its client-segment debut with the Core X "Skylake X" HEDT processors. It remains to be seen if the implementation of AVX-512 on "Cannon Lake" is complete, or if some instructions found on HPC processors such as the Xeon Phi are omitted due to irrelevance to the client platform.

Xtreme Member
    NIMIQ miners will love that :-)
    Comp 1 : NCASE M1, Asus Z170I PRO Gaming, Intel i7-6700K, G.Skill 2x4Gb 3466MHz, Samsung 950 Pro (512), Samsung 840 Pro (256), WD Red (5TB), Asus nVidia GTX 980 4Gb, Silverstone SX600-G, LG 34UM95
    Comp 2 : Commodore Amiga 4000D, Cyberstorm MK2 68060 50Mhz 128Mb, Cybervision 64 4Mb, FastATA MK-VI, Indivision AGA MK2cr
    Comp 3 : Commodore Amiga 600, Vampire 600 V2 128Mb, Indivision ECS, 32Gb CF

Xtreme Guru
    This could be the big one thing that sways customers away from Zen 2. Zen+ was a better than expected improvement, but the AVX performance is still lacking. Bringing 512 down to the mainstream CPUs could sway sales of anyone that does audio/video or large scale modelling work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans