Thread: [News/Rumor] Rumored Intel Kaby Lake-G Series: Modular, Multi-Die, HBM 2, AMD Graphic

[News/Rumor] Rumored Intel Kaby Lake-G Series: Modular, Multi-Die, HBM 2, AMD Graphic

https://www.techpowerup.com/232067/r...md-graphics-ip

Rumors have been making the rounds about an as-of-yet unannounced product from Intel: a Kaby Lake-G series which would mark Intel's return foray to a multi-chip module in a singular package. The company has already played with such a design before with its Clarkdale family of processors - which married a 32 nm CPU as well as a 45 nm GPU and memory controller in a single package. Kaby Lake-G will reportedly make away with its simple, low-data rate implementation and communication between two parts, instead carrying itself on the shoulders of Intel's EMIB (Embedded Multi-die Interconnect Bridge), which the company claims is a "more elegant interconnect for a more civilized age."

Instead of using a large silicon interposer typically found in other 2.5D approaches (like AMD did whilst marrying its Fiji dies with HBM memory), EMIB uses a very small bridge die, with multiple routing layers, which provide a good measure of price/data paths for the interconnected, heterogeneous architecture. This saves on the costly TSV (Through-Silicon Vias) that dot the interposer approach.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm probably the only one, but I think this would make for an amazing small form factor build.
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    I'm probably the only one, but I think this would make for an amazing small form factor build.
    i dont know about SFF but a nuk or micro pc. if you run SFF you should have space for a real gpu.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ya, nuc size is my idea. Maybe a custom enclosure to deal with the tdp.
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Xtreme Guru
    The idea of low cost alternative to TSVs is interesting. I doubt we'd ever be able to see a head to head, but I'd be curious to see what the performance sacrifice is in exchange for manufacturing feasibility.

If nothing else, HBM2 has proven to be really costly to scale up. Wouldn't be surprised if the TSVs turned out to be a major pain point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans