Thread: [News] IBM somehow got a patent for an Out-Of-Office email system

[News] IBM somehow got a patent for an Out-Of-Office email system

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/01/...-email-system/

A month and a half ago, the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) granted IBM Patent 9,547,842, which is an email system designed to automatically send messages informing inquiring bodies that said person is absent from their physical place of work... It's an Out Of Office email system. They patented OOO.

Or OOF, or OOTO or whatever other onomatopoeically ridiculous string of letters you use to let folks know you aren't available for a cubicle chat or call at your desk phone. Apparently, IBM applied for the patent in 2010, which is decades after companies created and deployed these now-commonplace features.

As BoingBoing points out, this patent was granted despite it seemingly flying in the face of the Supreme Court's 2014 decision on Alice Corp v. CLS Bank, which drew a line in the sand declaring some software concepts too abstract to be eligible for patent. (In other words, finally ruling against patent trolls.) If IBM's new one gets re-examined, it'll run aground of the new Alice standard. That's probably why the company is lobbying to change that ruling.

The history of this patent's certification is even worse, in which the examiner first rejected it before IBM counterargued that a statute like Alice wouldn't apply since the patent's method was implemented in computer hardware. That earned Patent 9,547,842 the Electronic Frontier Foundation's Stupid Patent Of The Month award. Congrats.

How do you get a patent for something that has existed and been used by millions across many different platforms for years?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    I don't know...
    But IBM has been in existence for quite a while too, so who's to say they didn't invent it in the early 1900s?

Could of used this on the titanic ehh lol ? , they had tubes I know just messing...

Kinda weird though, so if I set up an arduino or pi to tell me the same thing in whatever way I'll have to pay ibm if I'm using it as part as a corporation?
    Patents I think are stupid I think sometimes.

Supposedly people buy up patent's to nationalize them, I dn lol I seen an add on it on youtube a month ago lol.
    (That and that darned national guard add, almost every day, it'll pop up and all like sorry guys, stop blocking my view lol, I'm told old for the national guard wth...)

Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    I don't know...
    But IBM has been in existence for quite a while too, so who's to say they didn't invent it in the early 1900s?

Could of used this on the titanic ehh lol ? , they had tubes I know just messing...

Kinda weird though, so if I set up an arduino or pi to tell me the same thing in whatever way I'll have to pay ibm if I'm using it as part as a corporation?
    Patents I think are stupid I think sometimes.

Supposedly people buy up patent's to nationalize them, I dn lol I seen an add on it on youtube a month ago lol.
    (That and that darned national guard add, almost every day, it'll pop up and all like sorry guys, stop blocking my view lol, I'm told old for the national guard wth...)
    unless they filed it and it took decades to go through (they filed in 2010 so no) it is invalid. the existence of POP/imapi make this unusable.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Guru
    That's nothing.

I got my company to file a patent application on a system that uses ultrasonic sensors to detect when children have a full bladder using a machine learning based statistical model.

#AdaptivePValue
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Addict
    Lmao...

Speaking of...
    I've been seeing ultrasonic detectors on the back of truck bumpers alot recently, and I thought it was a new thing :\. (It wasn't long ago when I came across them for projects)
    Apparently alot of new cars have it..
    I just wish people would stop putting in cool white leds in the headlights...

Sooner or later people's car's are gonna take 3d maps of your yards lol.
    And flying cars..., after self driving cars with cload baised lidar mapping.
    That's gonna be fun, oh boy lol... I'm just thinking, people can already spoof gps and ads-b, it's gonna be crazy enough with people taking up every inch of the sky, let alone auto pilot accidents.

^^ I'm going way off topic.

Xtreme Guru
    Actually we already have LIDAR 3D mapping vehicles, just don't tell PR I said that lol.

Ultrasonic park aid is old school now. Big money is fusing radar and camera for precise object detection and adaptive cruise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans