Thread: [News] AMD Releases Balanced Power Plan for Windows; Optimized for Ryzen Processors

[News] AMD Releases Balanced Power Plan for Windows; Optimized for Ryzen Processors

https://www.techpowerup.com/232195/a...zen-processors

In another Community Update from Robert Hallock, some more developments on the platform have been announced, after the last one's commitment to upcoming updates. AMD has done good on their promise for an optimized power profile for Windows systems that better leverages Ryzen's design and features.AMD's SenseMI technology allows the processor to fine-tune voltages and frequency on-the-fly, with a much higher granularity and lower latency than any software-based solution - such as Windows 10's power plans. These transitions between frequencies and voltages are governed by "P-States", which are frequency/voltage combinations requested by the operating system.

It so happens that Windows 10's Balanced power plan delays changes towards faster P-states - which bring increased frequency and voltage and hence, power consumption - so as to save more power. However, this means that there is an increased delay (latency) between the moment more processing power is required of the Ryzen processor and the moment the processor is allowed to change P-states to deliver it. Add to this the fact that Ryzen takes a significant performance hit with core-parking enabled, and Windows 10's balanced power plan attempts to park all logical processors beyond the first 10% whenever possible means that most of Ryzen's cores will have to be unparked before they can process any kind of workload - and this in itself incurs in an increased latency and, therefore, performance penalty.

Xtreme Guru
    How about power consumption numbers? I assume these plans fixed the core addressing issues, but I want to know if Ryzen Balanced actually saves power over regular Balanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    How about power consumption numbers? I assume these plans fixed the core addressing issues, but I want to know if Ryzen Balanced actually saves power over regular Balanced.
    If they got better I'm sure AMD's PR team would be all over that too.

In my own case I see that frequency tends to be much higher now.

EDIT: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd...ame,34088.html
    "Finally, if you see a third-party tool reporting “idle” clocks in the range of 3200-3400MHz, you can be virtually certain that the core is actually sleeping and the tool is simply reporting the last known P-State."
    Last edited by xlink; 04-07-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Seems like the Ryzen Balanced plan has power consumption numbers in line with Performance.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    Seems like the Ryzen Balanced plan has power consumption numbers in line with Performance.
    lol I exactly balanced just means the core loads are better balanced
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans