Thread: [News] NVIDIA Telemetry Spooks Privacy-sensitive Users [Update: Nvidia Statement]

[News] NVIDIA Telemetry Spooks Privacy-sensitive Users [Update: Nvidia Statement]

https://www.techpowerup.com/227598/n...-to-disable-it

Over the past few versions of NVIDIA GeForce drivers, the company has been bundling a telemetry tool that is enabled by default, auto-runs on Windows startup by default, and doesn't appear in the list of things you can choose not to install, when doing a custom-installation with NVIDIA GeForce driver installers. Very little is known about this new Telemetry component. For all we know, it could be a means for NVIDIA to collect crash-reports that help it improve its drivers down the line. Not everyone is convinced with this explanation.

Spanning across three separate startup tasks (a bit much for a crash reporter?), Telemetry is allegedly a means for NVIDIA to send data "back and forth." Users that are the privacy equivalent of germ-freaks might see this as a means for NVIDIA to spy on its users, for a plethora of data, such as usage patterns, etc. MajorGeeks posted a brief tutorial on how to disable Telemetry (and other bloatware included in NVIDIA drivers), using Sysinternals, but you can use Task Manager, msconfig, or Registry Editor to disable these as well.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm surprised nobody here is talking about this problem. It has users spooked and/or fighting mad on some other forums.

Nvidia wants to spy on its users, and not just the ones using GFE.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    I'm surprised nobody here is talking about this problem. It has users spooked and/or fighting mad on some other forums.

Nvidia wants to spy on its users, and not just the ones using GFE.
    Privacy equivalent of germ-freaks in action ^

Perfectly happy with crash and telemetry information being send to make drivers and ultimately games better. In all honesty it would be better if they give you an option to opt-out or perhaps be a little clearer on what information is being send but not much point in being paranoid about your entire life history being sent to the boffins at nvidia.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Privacy equivalent of germ-freaks in action ^

Perfectly happy with crash and telemetry information being send to make drivers and ultimately games better. In all honesty it would be better if they give you an option to opt-out or perhaps be a little clearer on what information is being send but not much point in being paranoid about your entire life history being sent to the boffins at nvidia.
    that isnt what they are tracking now, they are tracking dns, web site use if it uses gpu acceleration, media file names/locations, usage time on games and apps, and they are using user identifiable information like external ip, mac, and other identifiable info that they directly sell to marketing groups and others.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    that isnt what they are tracking now, they are tracking dns, web site use if it uses gpu acceleration, media file names/locations, usage time on games and apps, and they are using user identifiable information like external ip, mac, and other identifiable info that they directly sell to marketing groups and others.
    Link please.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Link please.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/co...s_how/d9nf33j/

same terms they use on the mobile side that they do that.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Mentor
    Actually i am surrendered. Everyone is collecting something from us, if it is legal or not. Two choices left just give up or don't connect your computer to internet. I choose to give up.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-great-hit-/2/

GeForce Experience collects data to improve the application experience; this includes crash and bug reports as well as system information needed to deliver the correct drivers and optimal settings. NVIDIA does not share any personally identifiable information collected by GeForce Experience outside the company. NVIDIA may share aggregate-level data with select partners, but does not share user-level data. The nature of the information collected has remained consistent since the introduction of GeForce Experience 1.0. The change with GeForce Experience 3.0 is that this error reporting and data collection is now being done in real-time.

All of this information is included in the EULA and the FAQ posted on GeForce.com:

http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/faq