Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [News/Rumor] AMD Radeon RX 490 launching in December?

[News/Rumor] AMD Radeon RX 490 launching in December?

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd...-december.html

It has been topic of discussion many times, but the chatter on the web is much stronger this time. From the looks of it AMD might actually release the Radeon RX 490, maybe even before Christmas.

AMD on their end spilled a couple of beans a couple of times now, IF this new rumor is true then the Radeon RX 490 series could be released in December.
    If released, two things can happen here, it'll be a Dual-GPU Polaris based graphics card (2x RX 480), which is shatter that popped up the past week. If that is so it is likely a full Polaris 10 with 2304 shader processors, x2 = 4608 shader processors. Thing is that multi-GPU solutions like SLI and Crossfire are on the decline in popularity, so we hope that is not the case.

Now if we follow the old indication, it is based on a GPU called VEGA 10. Let's assume the latter one. After Polaris comes Vega, Vega is the brightest star in the constellation Lyra, the fifth brightest star in the night sky and the second brightest star in the northern celestial hemisphere, after Arcturus. On earlier roadmaps VEGA was tagged as a HBM2 product. The start of the "Vega" would happen with Vega 10 (code-name) GPU, a series to compete with Nvidias more high-end gear like the GeForce GTX 1080. It's rumored to have 64 Compute Units, multiply that with 64 shader processors per cluster and you'll get to 4096 shader processors. It can offer up to 24 TFLOP/s 16-bit (half-precision) floating point performance. You read it right, half-precision. The GPU will be paired with either 8 or 16 GB HBM2 memory at an up-to 512 GB/s memory bandwidth, logic would dictate 8GB though.

A few months ago AMD's Radeon Technologies Group (RTG) chief Raja Koduri tweeted that development of "Vega10" had just crossed a milestone, although it's a long way to go before you can see it". A little while ago an RX 490 entry was listed on AMDs own website as well.

AMD has hasn't announced anything official yet about the RX 490, but December is now very likely. It'll be interesting to see if it is VEGA 10 or a Dual-GPU Polaris 10 based product, we'll have to wait and see what rabbit AMD pulls out of its hat.

Xtreme Guru
    I do not trust a word from guru3d anymore. Perhaps if another, more reputable site backed them, I'd believe it. But from AMD's perspective wouldn't it just be smarter to focus all of their headcount on getting Vega 10 out faster?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It needs to launch in time for Zen/Summit Ridge at the latest . . .

Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    It needs to launch in time for Zen/Summit Ridge at the latest . . .
    they are saying it is a 480x2, i dont see the point of a lower mid range xfire single card that would need to be around 350-400W.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    they are saying it is a 480x2, i dont see the point of a lower mid range xfire single card that would need to be around 350-400W.
    Exactly. It would probably compete performance wise with the 1070, but would have horrible power consumption. It just makes more sense to focus on getting Vega out as fast as possible.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would rather they launched Vega in time for Summit Ridge, not a 480x2 card. Bleh.

If this turns out to be a dual 480 card, it would be disappointing. Some games do not even support multi GPU setups properly which will limit the card's full potential.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Member
    Pascal Bios editor should be released around December-ish time frame too. Surely, Nvidia flagship cards like 1080Ti will still need to be sold at a high msrp BUT the time frame has been long enough already.

Xtreme Member
    AMD is playing "All in one" game. VEGA 10 with 24 TFlops of half precision performance and 12 TFlops of single precision performance will come out this year. Along with Zen, just like Intel and Nvidia...

Obligatory, 1080Ti is slated to launch very soon...

Edit: quotes
    Last edited by SinOfLiberty; 12-05-2016 at 10:16 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Here's hoping for vega as well. Taking half a year to get the dual gpu version of polaris out would be massively disappointing.
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Quote Originally Posted by SinOfLiberty View Post
    AMD is playing "All in one" game. VEGA 10 with 24 TFlops of half precision performance and 12 TFlops of single precision performance will come out this year. Along with Zen, just like Intel and Nvidia...

Obligatory, 1080Ti wont be launched otherwise, but slated to; very soon...
    amd is all in on HMB2, i would bet they have been waiting for samsung since hynx had problems and micron delayed due to low orders since samsung and hynx were quoting low.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme 3D Team
    amd is all in on HMB2, i would bet they have been waiting for samsung since hynx had problems and micron delayed due to low orders since samsung and hynx were quoting low.
    I wouldn't put money on that. NVIDIA's P100 has been around for a little while now.
    A dual Polaris card would probably be 275-325w TDP as far as I can tell.
    Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    I wouldn't put money on that. NVIDIA's P100 has been around for a little while now.
    A dual Polaris card would probably be 275-325w TDP as far as I can tell.
    p100 has no confirmed shipments and nvidia bought all of the non sample test run from micron. it apparently did not meet clock expectations but should be more than enough for the p100.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I wonder if the 490 might be single chip polaris with HBM2.
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

That would seem to be unlikely. To my knowledge, HBM2 availability is the primary limiting factor for a Vega launch.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    That would seem to be unlikely. To my knowledge, HBM2 availability is the primary limiting factor for a Vega launch.
    I always wondered why they didn't create a cutdown version with GDDR5X to launch this year. I feel that would be a better investment of their R&D money simply because it would still fit a clear market segment (i.e. RX 580 with Fury xxxx being the full version).

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I always wondered why they didn't create a cutdown version with GDDR5X to launch this year. I feel that would be a better investment of their R&D money simply because it would still fit a clear market segment (i.e. RX 580 with Fury xxxx being the full version).
    That's assuming the Vega memory controller is compatible with GDDR5 I don't know.
    Last edited by StAndrew; 11-28-2016 at 11:54 AM.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    That's assuming the Vega memory controller is compatible with HBM2 I don't know.
    I thought we were already confirmed that Vega worked with HBM2?

As far as going backwards, I'm pretty sure they could just reuse the RX 480 or 390X memory controller for a cutdown version.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I thought we were already confirmed that Vega worked with HBM2?

As far as going backwards, I'm pretty sure they could just reuse the RX 480 or 390X memory controller for a cutdown version.
    Oops, meant GDDR5 - edited. Would probably have to invest in new a new die to run GDDR5. Just wouldn't be worth it. AMD gambled with HBM2 and is so far not getting any payout. I curious just how much performance the extra bandwidth will net. VEGA 10 will must have some serious throughput unless this is just a "new technology" gimmick.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Slightly bigger polaris with a 384 bit memory interface then? I really want to believe that it didn't take 6 months to stick two chips on a board.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    Slightly bigger polaris with a 384 bit memory interface then? I really want to believe that it didn't take 6 months to stick two chips on a board.
    It isn't as easy as "slap some more cores on it and widen the memory controller", assuming they started on that two months ago @ AMD's pace it would probably make it to retail in Q3/Q4. Interesting info was given in 2010/2011 too with R&D costs in the tens of millions to bring a new SKU to market, at least on the CPU side.

I think AMD made Polaris too small. Had they added 512 more cores to the current Polaris chip (2304+512=2816, Hawaii size), I think they would have been much more competitive in the market with RX480 @ 2816 and RX470 @ 2560/2304, even with a $250 MSRP. Polaris is currently running too fast to be as efficient as they claimed, probably because core voltage / clock had to be pushed for performance reasons. Users have noted significant power savings with undervolting and underclocking...

Upcoming Vega @ 4096 is also going to get outpaced by NVIDIA's large designs methinks.

zanzabar: You are right, the P100 does not have black/white confirmed shipments but it is already available in machines for order such as the IBM S822LC
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 11-28-2016 at 09:05 PM.
    Smile

Xtreme Guru
    Polaris isn't too small, it's already bigger than the GTX 1060 chip despite being slower.

It's an unbalanced architecture. It makes tons of TFLOPS but is greatly held back by the lack of ROPs in the backend. While DX12 clearly does benefit from this, I'm surprised they never balanced out the GCN architecture over their 4 revisions to better adapt to current games.

.....}

Regards, Hans

It's an unbalanced architecture. It makes tons of TFLOPS but is greatly held back by the lack of ROPs in the backend. While DX12 clearly does benefit from this, I'm surprised they never balanced out the GCN architecture over their 4 revisions to better adapt to current games.
    If it was worth the power and silicon to add more ROPs to their designs in relation to the performance it gains, their design team would have done so by now. They do have real engineers.
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    If it was worth the power and silicon to add more ROPs to their designs in relation to the performance it gains, their design team would have done so by now. They do have real engineers.
    I'm not sure that's necessarily true. Most architectural overhauls are done 5-6 years in advance, with only minor tweaks being financially feasible. Just look at how long Bulldozer has been around, and how vastly different Zen is.

As a "real engineer" of the electrical variety, I can confirm first hand that a lot of the times you know what the problem is, but have to wait for the next major design change due to development costs.

.....}

Regards, Hans

I'm not sure how to further the discussion at this point. You've expressed both that it's often necessary to wait for major revisions to make certain changes (and presumably you mean to suggest that this is one of them or there wouldn't have been a point to your last post) and also that you are surprised that they have not made such changes. You do not seem to have a clear conception of which point you'd like to make.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast