Thread: [News] Virginia ?Broadband Deployment Act? would kill municipal broadband deployment

[News] Virginia ?Broadband Deployment Act? would kill municipal broadband deployment

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...nd-deployment/

Virginia lawmakers are considering a bill called the "Virginia Broadband Deployment Act," but instead of resulting in more broadband deployment, the legislation would make it more difficult for municipalities to offer Internet service.

The Virginia House of Delegates legislation proposed this week by Republican lawmaker Kathy Byron (full text) would prohibit municipal broadband deployments except in very limited circumstances. Among other things, a locality wouldn't be allowed to offer Internet service if an existing network already provides 10Mbps download and 1Mbps upload speeds to 90 percent of potential customers. That speed threshold is low enough that it can be met by old DSL lines in areas that haven't received more modern cable and fiber networks.

Even if that condition is met, a city or town would have to jump through a few hoops before offering service. The municipality would have to pay for a "comprehensive broadband assessment," and then issue a request for proposals giving for-profit ISPs six months to submit a plan for broadband deployment. After receiving proposals from private ISPs, the local government would have to determine whether providing grants or subsidies to a private ISP would be more cost-effective than building a municipal broadband network.
    The bill, which is being pushed by the Virginia Cable Telecommunications Association lobby group, would also make it hard for localities to offer lower rates than private ISPs. A locality would not be allowed to price its services at a sum less than the "actual direct costs" and "actual indirect costs" of providing the service, and it would have to boost the prices it charges customers by "includ[ing] within its rates an amount equal to all taxes, fees, and other assessments that would be applicable to a similarly situated private provider of the same communications services, including federal, state, and local taxes; franchise fees; permit fees; pole attachment fees; and any similar fees."

Moreover, the legislation would give private ISPs grounds to challenge municipal broadband projects in court. Local governments seeking to offer broadband would have to file various documents with the state Broadband Advisory Council at least 120 days before construction and "an annual certification by July 1 of each year that any expansion to or changes in its projects or system since the preceding July 1 still qualify as broadband expansion services."

"Any person who believes that any part of such filings is incomplete, incorrect, or false and who is in the business of providing Internet services within the locality shall have standing to bring an action in the circuit court for the locality to seek to require the locality to either comply with the substantive and procedural content of the filings required by this section, or cease to provide services, and no bond shall be required for injunctive relief against the locality," the legislation says.

Existing projects would be grandfathered, but only within the geographic area where they already provide service. That would prevent future expansions.

since virginia is a comcast sate do they even have wide deployment of broadband since comcast changed to all metered connections?
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    VA doesn't have much unless you live in Northern VA, Richmond, or populated parts of Hampton Roads. I have Verizon Fios at 50/50 which is plenty for me. I think the offer up to 150/150 in my area.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    since virginia is a comcast sate do they even have wide deployment of broadband since comcast changed to all metered connections?
    We have both Xfinity/Comcast and Verizon FiOS in my area in northern Prince William county. This is true in all of Northern Virginia so it's not wholly a "Comcast state".
    Server - Corsair 400C Clear Case, Supermicro 665W PSU, Intel S2600CP eATX, 2 x Xeon E5-2640 (12C/24T), 32GB DDR3-1333 Reg/ECC, MSI GT 730 2GB GDDR5
    Daily Driver - Xigmatek GIGAS mATX Case, Corsair 750W Modular PSU, HP IPIWB-PB X79 mATX, Xeon E5-1620 @ 4.4 GHz (4C/8T), 16GB DDR3-1600 @ 1866, Sapphire HD 7950 3GB GDDR5
    ITX Gamer - SilverStone SST-SG05BB-LITE Mini ITX Case, Asus H81I mITX, i5-4590 @ 3.3 GHz (4C/4T), 8GB DDR3-1600, Zotac Mini GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X
    Laptop - Acer AS5750-9422 Laptop, 15.6", Core i7-2670QM (4C/8T), 16GB DDR3-1600, HD 3000 Graphics

Sweet. It's the VA Big Cable Monopoly Protection Act. I'll put the big cash special interest "Lube" at $100K+ on this consumer looting and buggery.

You have not been fornicated until you've been fornicated by the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and the Koch Bros.

Don't go cheap, Virginia. It took 5 years of BigCable cash to shove this up North Carolina citizens.