Thread: [News] Avast AVG sale finalised, 97 per cent of shares acquired

[News] Avast AVG sale finalised, 97 per cent of shares acquired

http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/securi...ares-acquired/

Following the announcement in July that anti-virus firm, Avast, was buying up industry rival AVG, months of back and forth negotiations, trade agreements and share talks have taken place, but finally the money is being paid and the stocks transferred. In the early hours of this morning, 97 per cent of AVG was tendered to Avast, with the final three per cent set to be acquired in short order.

Avast?s purchase of AVG anti virus brings an end to an era of competition between both firms in the free anti-viral space. It also turns Avast into the world?s largest anti-viral provider, with more than 400 million customers worldwide. The sale wasn?t cheap, at $1.3 billion, but should hold a lot of value for the new owners.
    And now we can finally stamp the acquisition as near completed, with 97 per cent of shares now formally offered to Avast, which it accepted in return for the hefty payment. We?re told that there are three per cent of shares still outstanding, which a price still has to be negotiated for. However with such a stake in the company, Avast now has full control over AVG?s future, making the acquisition all but complete.

Avast hopes that by bringing together the experts from both companies, it will be able to offer better protection for its user base. With a near doubling of installed devices too, it will have a much larger network of potential threat detectors out there to help it better react to infections and future malware attacks.

Xtreme Member
    This is interesting, i used to use AVG and then moved to Avast because AVG was getting too intrusive.

however, it seems that Avast is going the same way, to the point that I've removed it from my home PC and will likely do the same to my work machine soon too!
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

Xtreme Member
    AVG free had a popup the other day with its usual asking to upgrade it you can only extend it to every 3 days max now and it wont go away till you close it
    trouble is the cross to close it had stopped working and the only options to close it were to click the button to buy avg or uninstall it so it got uninstalled

going back to avast for now it takes a bit of tweaking but you can reduce the annoyance of its adds at this stage still
    TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2088\9500MHz -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
    3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM

I use neither so I don't care
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I use neither so I don't care
    This is basically the direction i've been going as well. what do you use?
    i've gone to the standard MS defender and dont seem to have any problems so far, plus it doesnt seem to bother me on the day to day.
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro

Honestly, I lived on the edge and for years I didn't have anything on 7. I had AVG for a while, had issues crop up, went to Avast at one point, hated some of it, went to something else (I forget now) and had a problem, so I just removed it and said screw it. None ever did catch anything anyway because there was nothing to catch. Now that I upgraded to 10 I just have the built in Defender since it is already there.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Honestly, I lived on the edge and for years I didn't have anything on 7. I had AVG for a while, had issues crop up, went to Avast at one point, hated some of it, went to something else (I forget now) and had a problem, so I just removed it and said screw it. None ever did catch anything anyway because there was nothing to catch. Now that I upgraded to 10 I just have the built in Defender since it is already there.
    it does seem to be that this, along with some internet smarts, is the way to go if you don't want to be spammed with ads all day!