Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to bin a DDR3-4000+ Memory !? @ AVEXIR Computex 2013

Champion

How to bin a DDR3-4000+ Memory !? @ AVEXIR Computex 2013

I have been one of the guest overclocker invited by AVEXIR in Computex 2013 event for "Memory Binning Demo Section".

AVEXIR invited some famous overclocker (etc. Andre Yang 5/6 , Nick Shih 6/6 , John Lam 7/6) to demonstrate memory binning for overclocking.

I am working on my own binning rules in BIOS , you can see a AMT64 Memory Debug card which is special design for memory IC binning.

This is a Memory IC Sorter which can test Memory IC before SMT.

Make sure you have put it in right side , otherwise will cause the platform damage.

I am using ASROCK Z87 OC-Formula MB for Memory Binning.

Oh.....a tons of Hynix MFR Chips over there.

My Binning rules is DDR3-3300 CL14-15-15-45 2T @ 1.6V , You can see only 3 chips passed the test 2.

Finally , I got around 100-200 ICs but both of them will made for Media Testing unit only................

Xtreme Addict
    Do you know if it's possible to obtain same hardware/software and bin mems 'at home'?

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TaPaKaH View Post
    Do you know if it's possible to obtain same hardware/software and bin mems 'at home'?
    Umm...... Not possible I think.

1. This Kit is around US$1500 and no retail sales
    2. How can you buy Memory IC?
    3. How can you Solid it after bin ?

Expect the memory manufaceturers borrow you a set

Xtreme Addict
    $1500 is a bit steep (then again, I spent far more on binning PSC), but 2 and 3 are no real issue - you can just buy OEM mems and do BGA soldering 'at home'.
    Actually, if there were any software (not sure if DOS or HCI Memtest can do it) that can test ICs individually on finished modules then you can minimise the amount of soldering as each assembled module would give you 8/16 shots.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TaPaKaH View Post
    $1500 is a bit steep (then again, I spent far more on binning PSC), but 2 and 3 are no real issue - you can just buy OEM mems and do BGA soldering 'at home'.
    Actually, if there were any software (not sure if DOS or HCI Memtest can do it) that can test ICs individually on finished modules then you can minimise the amount of soldering as each assembled module would give you 8/16 shots.
    Well, I know where can buy AMT64 Card , It works on Normal Memory DIMM.

Xtreme Member
    Next gen memory binning... everyone extreme enough buys two Memory IC Sorters and tray after tray of their favorite IC

Jokes aside, this is really cool to see.
    Overclocking, it's a lifestyle

Wanna look under my kilt?
    The effort is impressive, but I don't think this is a "healthy" direction for extreme overclocking to go in.

People making their own memory sticks after binning hundreds of ICs individually?
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Addict
    Honestly,i'd rather make my own sticks rather than buy hundreds off ebay and ending up with nothing impressive...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @Kenny What?s the big difference to guys getting hundreds of cpus for binning or modding vgas? there are a lot of vgas I would see as custom, even Vrams have been changed, power support and so on. Cap mod and changed capacitors on boards and cards are now normal, if you think this is not a healthy direction you should have thought of this long time ago.... I see no difference in changing ics on pcb of mems to changing caps on vgas and boards or zombifying stuff

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    The effort is impressive, but I don't think this is a "healthy" direction for extreme overclocking to go in.

People making their own memory sticks after binning hundreds of ICs individually?
    As I understand it this is not a private effort but was done in Avexir's test lab. The method is nothing new, Corsair has been doing it for years for their GTX line.

Edit: Interview with bachus_anonym about making the Dominator GTX4 memory modules.
    Last edited by Don_Dan; 06-10-2013 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You can never have enough D9's.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think this is awesome! However is there such an animal as DDR3-4000?
    New rig: INWIN D-Frame, i7 4770k @ 4.7 Ghz/1.38V, Swiftech H220, MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming, Team Vulcan DDR3 1600, 9-9-9-24, Samsung 840 pro 256GB, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair 850W
    Old rig:Antec 900/GIGABYTE GA-X38T-DQ6
    E6750 @ 3.5 GHz/Thermalright 120 extreme/MX2
    CORSAIR Vengance 8GB
    PNY 8800GT/Thermalright HR-03 GT

Old, old rig: FX-53/GIGABYTE K8NSNXP-939 nForce3 Ultra/1GB CORSAIR 3200XLPRO
    X800XTPE/WD 74GB Raptor/250GB Caviar

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The IC tester of the second picture looks amazing, so does the tray ICs. However, I totally agree that the effort is out of scale compared to the results you get. Considering that over 2133/2400 MHz DDR-3 are nearly pointless and barely, if at all, increases performance, with the exception of people seeking a world record, the amount of money that you have to dump to get ultra high end modules isn't worth it.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Dan View Post
    As I understand it this is not a private effort but was done in Avexir's test lab. The method is nothing new, Corsair has been doing it for years for their GTX line.

Edit: Interview with bachus_anonym about making the Dominator GTX4 memory modules.
    If it's not a private effort, that's fine. A company does it to make a product that we buy. The playing field is as level as it can be, depending on supply & demand and availability.

Quote Originally Posted by websmile View Post
    @Kenny What?s the big difference to guys getting hundreds of cpus for binning or modding vgas? there are a lot of vgas I would see as custom, even Vrams have been changed, power support and so on. Cap mod and changed capacitors on boards and cards are now normal, if you think this is not a healthy direction you should have thought of this long time ago.... I see no difference in changing ics on pcb of mems to changing caps on vgas and boards or zombifying stuff
    The difference is: we can buy and sell CPUs and VGAs. We've already been told this PCB overlay is not available to buy.

Personally, I don't approve of ePower either, but it has at least been made available for sale and I believe it will be available again soon. From an engineering POV, the ePower is brilliant. From a benching POV, I hate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Pie assassin
    Kenny, you know as well as I do that the playing field will NEVER be even so long as there is money involved. you just have to ignore that fact if you still want to have fun.

Not publically available? I doubt that as well, a quick search on google showed many various branded IC testing kits that are similar/exact in function. ICs aren't hard to order in bulk either, but they aren't cheap until you order several tens of thousands

http://etootle.com/product/memory-card-en.html

calculating this right, the cost of the IC is where it hurts. it might be cheaper to buy ram, remove IC, reball, and test rather than get trays. regardless, it takes deeper pockets than most of us have to blow on memory binning this way. it will take about $10Kfor 1000 ICs to sort through if you only buy 1000. I will leave binning to the manufacturers thanks.
    Last edited by ZenEffect; 06-10-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenEffect View Post
    Kenny, you know as well as I do that the playing field will NEVER be even so long as there is money involved. you just have to ignore that fact if you still want to have fun.

Not publically available? I doubt that as well, a quick search on google showed many various branded IC testing kits that are similar/exact in function. ICs aren't hard to order in bulk either, but they aren't cheap until you order several tens of thousands

http://etootle.com/product/memory-card-en.html

calculating this right, the cost of the IC is where it hurts. it might be cheaper to buy ram, remove IC, reball, and test rather than get trays. regardless, it takes deeper pockets than most of us have to blow on memory binning this way. it will take about $10Kfor 1000 ICs to sort through if you only buy 1000. I will leave binning to the manufacturers thanks.
    Zen , you got the point !! my english is not good enough to explain it !

PI in the face
    btw to bin psc, these were already taken off sticks that passed something like 7-11-7 2400 on x79 XD so buying those mems couldnt have been very cheap in the first place let alone the process of removing them etc.

this should not be upseting, how do you think gskill bins psc? you're better off snagging $50 kits off ebay and trying your luck, if youre smart you know which ones to buy

John and I set rules to 8-11-7-25-84-1t twcl6 trdrd4 1.65v for a bit, maybe 2 ics out of each set could run it XD now those would be beast sticks.
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Splave View Post
    btw to bin psc, these were already taken off sticks that passed something like 7-11-7 2400 on x79 XD so buying those mems couldnt have been very cheap in the first place let alone the process of removing them etc.

this should not be upseting, how do you think gskill bins psc? you're better off snagging $50 kits off ebay and trying your luck, if youre smart you know which ones to buy

John and I set rules to 8-11-7-25-84-1t twcl6 trdrd4 1.65v for a bit, maybe 2 ics out of each set could run it XD now those would be beast sticks.

Now I raise to DDR3-2500 already !!

XIP
    That's nice

How can I get one of those kits?

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo View Post
    That's nice

How can I get one of those kits?
    Are you in Taiwan Now ?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @Kenny you have a point and I agree on your opinion, but there were already kits like internal gskill kits that no one could buy public - so this is not new, this is main reason I stopped binning mems, you have no chance to get retails doing that good without burning lots of cash - apart from having six psc kit that do 1200 cas7 below 1,65v ^^
    @John Lam Have fun, saw your psc thread as well, good job

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by websmile View Post
    @Kenny you have a point and I agree on your opinion, but there were already kits like internal gskill kits that no one could buy public - so this is not new, this is main reason I stopped binning mems, you have no chance to get retails doing that good without burning lots of cash - apart from having six psc kit that do 1200 cas7 below 1,65v ^^
    @John Lam Have fun, saw your psc thread as well, good job
    Thank you websmile. This is really fun but my wife is not happy on those IC !!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob94hawk View Post
    I think this is awesome! However is there such an animal as DDR3-4000?
    From the lack of a response I'm guessing "not yet.."
    New rig: INWIN D-Frame, i7 4770k @ 4.7 Ghz/1.38V, Swiftech H220, MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming, Team Vulcan DDR3 1600, 9-9-9-24, Samsung 840 pro 256GB, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair 850W
    Old rig:Antec 900/GIGABYTE GA-X38T-DQ6
    E6750 @ 3.5 GHz/Thermalright 120 extreme/MX2
    CORSAIR Vengance 8GB
    PNY 8800GT/Thermalright HR-03 GT

Old, old rig: FX-53/GIGABYTE K8NSNXP-939 nForce3 Ultra/1GB CORSAIR 3200XLPRO
    X800XTPE/WD 74GB Raptor/250GB Caviar

PI in the face
    ^if your imc can take it, 50% of sticks can be ddr3-4000
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Pie assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lam View Post
    Zen , you got the point !! my english is not good enough to explain it !
    your english is pretty good. just throw a couple of swear words in there, hamburger, pizza, ketchup and you will be pro.
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob94hawk View Post
    From the lack of a response I'm guessing "not yet.."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast