Thread: "It's Dejavu All Over Again! Caveat Emptor!

Xtreme Cruncher

"It's Dejavu All Over Again! Caveat Emptor!

OMG! I know everyone is enamored with the points available with the new GPU project which favors ATI cards. Any purchases made today may be worthless in 3 months or less. Don't buy cheap cards. Buy 7950s or 7970s. Anything purchased today is a throwaway.

I joined F@H in '95. I had 3 laptops folding. I was bitten by the "points whore bug." I started building my own computers. F@H developed a gpu project. It only supported ATI cards like the Radeon X1900GT. The points were great. People built farms around them. GPU2 was released. ATI cards were then worth less than my daily bowel movement. With GPU2 Nvidia cards ruled the roost. They still do as far as I know. F@H released their SMP project. They recommended a minimum of 8 real cores back in the day. A cheap Intel dual core could run 3 SMP projects and out point the real servers. "Points Whores" like me built farms around them. They were rendered obsolete in less than 3 months when larger WUs were released that required more L2 cache. Large SMP WUs were released for Linux only. This forced Windows users to run 2 or more Linux clients in VMware to compete. F@H finally released Large SMPs for Windows. Too little too late. That's why so many switched to WCG.

WCG has been like a rock. Points inflation has been non-existent. The GPU WUs changed the game. I have no idea what trn has invested in his farm. I'm going to guess 25K. Would you not be pissed if your investment in a farm like that was rendered worthless by 3 $400 cards???

I have:

5-2600s
    5-2600Ks
    3-3770Ks
    1-989X
    1-396X

Together they would produce 600K-700K WCG. This investment is now eclipsed by 1 $400 7970. Enjoy the points bonanza while you can. If experience is any indicator, you have a 3 month window at best to earn points at the current rate.

Edit: Am I temporarily jumping on the "new standard" bandwagon? Yes but I can't tell you why without going political.

Another Edit: If Dave had paid full retail for the "Beast" now known as "The Wimpy Little Girl," do you not think he would have written the head of WCG and ripped them a new A-hole? The game has changed. Buyer Beware.
    Last edited by WFO; 10-27-2012 at 10:54 PM.
    Cooler Master HAF 942
    Sabertooth X79
    Win7 64
    3960X @ 4805 1.376 v-core
    32GB DDR3 1866 G.SKILL Ripjaws Z
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 series RVD3-FHPX4-120G PCI-E 120GB
    3 X 6T Raid 0 Hitachi Storage
    Themaltake Tough Power 1200
    1 HD 7970

F@H badge by xoqolat

Xtreme crazy bastid
    That's the world of high performance computing for you. Today's super computer is tomorrow's (or even this afternoon's) door stop.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Linux those diseases
    No Linux app is the killer for me. My Linux hosts credit totals have now become worthless

Xtreme crazy bastid
    That really depends on how you define "worthless". Currently there is only one project running GPU work at WCG. The other projects are still doing worthwhile work, just not on GPU. While those other projects won't return you as many points as HCC on GPU, that doesn't exactly make them "worthless". It's all a matter of perspective.
    I'm bringing as much online as I can for SCW, but that will still bring me nowhere near the points that a single decent GPU could. I'm not in this for the points, I'm in it for the cures but I also refuse to compromise my stand on using Linux as strictly as possible. I'm sure there will be a GPU client for Linux at some point, but when is another story.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    snip..

Another Edit: If Dave had paid full retail for the "Beast" now known as "The Wimpy Little Girl," do you not think he would have written the head of WCG and ripped them a new A-hole? The game has changed. Buyer Beware.
    Not really.. day one I said wow, some guy with a quad and top vid card is kicking my butt but I laughed and was happy they finally included GPU.
    Moved my 460GTX card out to the dedicated 2600K and put my 5870 card into the Beast ( Or WLG) because of the nVidia stuttering issue.
    I'm happy and I have the same choice as everyone else, want mo points, buy new cards..My Beast, 2600K,X3380 and the Skulltrail rig can do over 420,000 WCG PPD and thats ok by me..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

NooB MOD
    Your beast will also do something that a small farm of graphics card can't do - 24 days worth of work per day
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    WCG is not really about the points, it's about curing cancer and other diseases.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    WCG is not really about the points, it's about curing cancer and other diseases.
    SCW is all about points. People buying cheap cards to fill slots need to know this points gravy train is limited. When current work runs out, people will probably only be able to run 1-2 HCC instances per card. The WUs will probably require 2-6 hours to complete and the points will be much closer to what they were before HCC GPU. The "cheap cards won't get the job done. Yes, I'm a cynical old bastid! For now, I am happy. I can run 2 rigs with 4 cards and cut my electric bill in half.

With regards to curing cancer, there is already a cure. Google: "nano-particles and radio waves cure cancer." It's been 100% effective in all animal trials. The question is whether our crony-capitalist government will approve it for human trials? The cure is here! Why hasn't the FDA approved it? We are pissing in the wind with this project! Therefore this project is about nothing but points. My 2 cents

Edit: Just to make sure you get the correct links:

http://www.kanziuscancerresearch.org/about/our-mission

http://www.theblaze.com/contribution...ure-a-reality/
    Last edited by WFO; 10-28-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    Cooler Master HAF 942
    Sabertooth X79
    Win7 64
    1 HD 7970

F@H badge by xoqolat

Xtreme Cruncher
    Wanna keep the politcal crap out it for a while. Not to be a "D", but your last couple posts I've read are putting a real killjoy on this whole new HCC GPU thing for me.

That's just my 2 cents
    24/7 Cruncher #1
    Crosshair VII Hero, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO, 4x8GB GSKILL 3600MHz C15, ASUS TUF 3090 OC
    Samsung 980 1TB NVMe, Samsung 870 QVO 1TB, 2x10TB WD Red RAID1, Win 10 Pro, Enthoo Luxe TG, EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2

24/7 Cruncher #2
    ASRock X470 Taichi, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 AIO, 2x16GB GSKILL NEO 3600MHz C16, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
    Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe, Samsung 870 EVO 500GBWin 10 Ent, Enthoo Pro, Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W

24/7 Cruncher #3
    GA-P67A-UD4-B3 BIOS F8 mod, 2600k (L051B138) @ 4.5 GHz, 1.260v full load, Arctic Liquid 120, (Boots Win @ 5.6 GHz per Massman binning)
    Samsung Green 4x4GB @2133 C10, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hybrid, Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Rosewill Rise, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2

24/7 Cruncher #4 ... Crucial M225 64GB SSD Donated to Endurance Testing (Died at 968 TB of writes...no that is not a typo!)
    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS F10 modded, Q6600 G0 VID 1.212 (L731B536), 3.6 GHz 9x400 @ 1.312v full load, Zerotherm Zen FZ120
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR3-1600MHz C7, Gigabyte 7950 @1200/1250, Crucial MX100 128GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Centurion 590, XFX PRO650W

Music System
    SB Server->SB Touch w/Android Tablet as a remote->Denon AVR-X3300W->JBL Studio Series Floorstanding Speakers, JBL LS Center, 2x SVS SB-2000 Subs

SCW is all about points. People buying cheap cards to fill slots need to know this points gravy train is limited. When current work runs out, people will probably only be able to run 1-2 HCC instances per card. The WUs will probably require 2-6 hours to complete and the points will be much closer to what they were before HCC GPU. The "cheap cards won't get the job done. Yes, I'm a cynical old bastid! For now, I am happy. I can run 2 rigs with 4 cards and cut my electric bill in half.

With regards to curing cancer, there is already a cure. Google: "nano-particles and radio waves cure cancer." It's been 100% effective in all animal trials. The question is whether our crony-capitalist government will approve it for human trials? The cure is here! Why hasn't the FDA approved it? We are pissing in the wind with this project! Therefore this project is about nothing but points. My 2 cents
    This project is not really looking for a cure. IMO, a cure would be a pill or shot, like polio or smallpox. This project is looking for early detection of and ways to help treat cancer.
    Even if they get around the clumping issue (http://nano.cancer.gov/action/news/2..._2012-4-2c.asp), you'll still need to know if you have cancer.
    I'd like to know as early as possible if I do get cancer. That's where this project can help. My $0.02.

For me the GPU is a way to contribute without using 3000KWH per month on CPU power. I had to shut down most of my PCs when we moved. Now, I can run a few GPUs for a fraction of the cost of the 8 PCs I had running and I can do 8 times the work.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestang View Post
    Wanna keep the politcal crap out it for a while. Not to be a "D", but your last couple posts I've read are putting a real killjoy on this whole new HCC GPU thing for me.

That's just my 2 cents
    I'm trying to restrain myself bluestang. "crony-capitalist" can be applied to the R's and the D's. If you are concerned about the cause, forget politics and check out the 2 links in my edit. I'll edit the last line.

Last edited by WFO; 10-28-2012 at 01:32 PM.
    Cooler Master HAF 942
    Sabertooth X79
    Win7 64
    1 HD 7970

F@H badge by xoqolat

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by pirogue View Post
    This project is not really looking for a cure. IMO, a cure would be a pill or shot, like polio or smallpox. This project is looking for early detection of and ways to help treat cancer.
    Even if they get around the clumping issue (http://nano.cancer.gov/action/news/2..._2012-4-2c.asp), you'll still need to know if you have cancer.
    I'd like to know as early as possible if I do get cancer. That's where this project can help. My $0.02.

For me the GPU is a way to contribute without using 3000KWH per month on CPU power. I had to shut down most of my PCs when we moved. Now, I can run a few GPUs for a fraction of the cost of the 8 PCs I had running and I can do 8 times the work.
    Clearly my post was short sighted. I did not think about early detection. That would be a definite +!!! I was focused on the word "cure."
    Cooler Master HAF 942
    Sabertooth X79
    Win7 64
    1 HD 7970

F@H badge by xoqolat

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    Not arguing about using GPU's parallel processing is always faster. I am however talking about the the actual propose of WCG, and that is finding cures, even if the first step is better detection.

Now if there was an actual peer reviewed and documented cure. Don't you think it would be all over the news already. I'm afraid something like that could never be suppressed, even if they wanted it suppressed.
    For a few reasons: 1) the discoverer would want credit. 2) Too many greedy people out there that want to make money off of it. 3) too many people needing treatments that work. 4) Reporters are always looking to make a name for themselves.

While the Blaze makes some good points every now and then, it's best not to take them too seriously. Case in point Drivers licenses. According to the Blaze, are not required by legal definition; however if you look at your state law, it requires anyone operating a motor vehicle to have one. Most states law (if not all) does not say Driver, but rather operator. While driver may be defined as anyone operating a motor vehicle to make a living, operator does not.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

V3 Xeons coming soon!

My friend, are you working the bottle again today?
    Yea, some valid points and the FDA is the most corrupt agency there is but we have to work in the world that exists not the one we want..
    To get that we'd have to advocate a violent overthrow of the govt and just doing that gets you charged with sedition and locked away for 20 years.
    Better to do what can be done and ignore what can't..
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Not really.. day one I said wow, some guy with a quad and top vid card is kicking my butt but I laughed and was happy they finally included GPU.
    Moved my 460GTX card out to the dedicated 2600K and put my 5870 card into the Beast ( Or WLG) because of the nVidia stuttering issue.
    I'm happy and I have the same choice as everyone else, want mo points, buy new cards..My Beast, 2600K,X3380 and the Skulltrail rig can do over 420,000 WCG PPD and thats ok by me..
    i love your attitude

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    i love your attitude
    It's called "Being realistic"
    Accept what is and be happy with it..Keeps the Blood pressure down and also the amount of monitors that I have to not buy because I didn't
    stick my right fist through them!