My next new waterblock, this one mounts directly to the IHS, sealed with an Oring. This is an LGA2011 specific block, will not work with any other sockets. I have not tested this 2011 version, I did all the testing and development work on my 1366 test rig. What I learned on 1366 is applied to this 2011 block, hopefully others can test this and report it's performance. This version was "finished" first to try to get it included in Stren's roundup of current blocks, 1366 version will be finished soon. My testing on the 1366 version showed better performance than either Apogee HD or Sniper with PK-1 TIM.
Restriction is less than Apogee HD, more than Raystorm, no where near as low as Sniper. I tried a lot of things to get the restriction down but performance suffered. Ultimately I chose a production geometry that maximizes thermal performance, and the restriction is what it is.
I tested for three months (1366 version), and had bad leaks between the block and the IHS when I would forget to use an O-ring. No catastrophies, no ruined hardware just some excitement. I used the old socket 775 prototype of this concept for two or three years with no issues. The processor IHS on that 6600 was lapped to the copper, so I have no long term results with water against Intel's nickel plated IHS. I have a feeling Intel knows how to keep a part clean before it gets plated.
I should mention, some of the credit for this block goes to XS member Wez. We were discussing new concepts in a thread, and I mentioned that I've done this for socket 775, performance was a little worse than EK Supreme, and used it successfully for a few years with no problems. I did not have thermal performance as good as this current concept, and I speculated about machining fins directly into the IHS. I thought it was a bit too extreme to do something that risky for watercooling. Wez offered to loan a Bulldozer to me to try it out, never took him up on it, but it reversed my thinking about the idea. I was in the process of screwing up my courage to try it, and was thinking about the problem when this current idea occurred to me (while playing with a garden hose on concrete). I gave it a shot, got decent results and decided to do a full development effort on the concept. Thanks for the brain kick Wez...