Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: i-Prodigy - for i-Wife - watercooled mini-ITX gaming (mini) monster

Xtreme Addict
    I do so love seeing your builds-cabling can be an art, and you prove it. I've got the same job coming up in the same case for my wife and I both. Let's hope I can come somewhere in the same galaxy as that.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Heya Guys, thanx for the feedback always appreciated! And yeah, I make an excuse to play with toyz, if I cannot find a good enugh one - after 21 years of married life, I keep telling myself I 'deserve' certain things, or that I can get away with some 'minor' transgressions...

@ Kayin: Sound like you're going to have fun too, and I am sure yours will blow mine to the edge of the 46 billion years observable Universe! Just a bit of patience, lots of swearing, mental breakdown, but we usually get there....

Enjoy, and keep us posted on what you're up to!
    Last edited by MrBean; 07-23-2012 at 04:36 AM.
    Never argue with Idiots...they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    i-Prodigy (small APD2 GFX/CPU waterloop) ; HP Blackbird Project Log (dual-Xeon Watercooled) ; Macho Mini Project Log (Sandybridge watercooled mini-ITX)

Xtreme Member
    very excellent build. you have inspired me to go mini for my next one. i was wondering when you get a chance if you could post a little guide on crimping maybe in the mod section. i can crimp but i screw up quite a bit. im sure you have a few little tricks to share

Xtreme Member
    Awesome facebook-machine! I mean, AMAZING facebook-machine! Impressive work
    PC:
    MOBO: Maximus VI Extreme
    CPU: Core i7-4770k
    RAM: 2x4gb Dominator Platinum 2133
    GPU: GeForce GTX Titan

Greetings from Brazil!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Heya Gents,
    Ta for the feedback, as always, all feedback and critisism appreciated!

@ Phantomferrari: I could try and do a mini-guide, but the end-result is always dependant on the quality of the tools you have at your disposal. Travelling this week, but let's see how it goes once I am back home on the weekend
    Never argue with Idiots...they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    i-Prodigy (small APD2 GFX/CPU waterloop) ; HP Blackbird Project Log (dual-Xeon Watercooled) ; Macho Mini Project Log (Sandybridge watercooled mini-ITX)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Back from 3 days in Townsville, and off to Sydney for 2 days tomorrow, but decided to post a quick Wednesday evening update. I actually completed this part late Sunday arvo, but could not post to pics due to upcoming trips.

Anyway, here we go - a small, but important one

My new kittycat, Milla, which is one of two additions to our household...she's doing inspection on the case and watercooling setup - this was taken a while back though....

of course, she's pretty pedantic, have to find fault somewhere

Back to current affairs at hand...had to rewire the GT's to fit in with the theme, and feed wiring through a hole I drilled earlier, which was fitted with a small rubber grommet. This I did when making the new fan mounting-plate for the top.

Here are the candicates, before reworking them:

Will be rewiring them with 24AWG Turnigy wire...

Here is the first one finished, pretty quick and easy...

and a close-up of the soldering...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Busy fitting the newly wired pair here, going smooth as butter...

a close-upof wherethe wiring pass through to the other side ->

Tidied up...

and a couple of shots of the finished product - ok, not 100% finished, a small surprise coming later, right at the end though:

and

and of course, here you can see how the cables have been tidied off on the inside - again, I could have done a fair bit more here to hide things, but for this mod, it needs to be neat, but stillpractical,and easily moddable if I want to change a few things.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A quick few shots how things are looking before the next important step...Guys, what you see below is a fullly working computer, with all wiring done, exceptthe FP-connector - this willcome soon, but will blend in with the rest, it will hardly be noticed...

and

and a last one....nice and clean...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Now,the next step required some thinking,on what I really wanted to achieve, and what would be pratical.

This boy here had to go somewhere, and admittedly, I could've fitted it to the top, in the original 5.25" optical bay area, and making custom brackets. It would just touch the radiator, and protrude 1mm at the front - nope, did not want that, you would hardly notice, but I would know...

a few more shots of it in its orginal clothes...

and

and

So, on with the thinking-cap....decided to remove the original mounting-brackets, and came up with a new mounting-plate....see the black bezel-like part in the middle,surrounding the 5.25" brackets...

and bolted to the AAE5, it will look like this...

to be mounted here....

-> having it in this location, allows for nice and easy cable-routing to/from the device,and in the following pic, it is powered up, and controlling water-temp - fans and pump are on auto control, and working like a charm.

Now, I have 2 options here: LEave this as the AAE5 Pro, and cut a window that will allow myself or the Missus to observe/adjust settings if necessary....

Or, simply replace this with the AAE5 LT, and have it controlled by the software GUI only - I need one of these for the NAS anyway....I am leaning towards replacing this one with the LT, it will be mounting in the same place, with the same bracket....

What do you guys reckon?

Xtreme Addict
    Nice touch!

Paint the fan grills!
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNutz View Post
    Nice touch!

Paint the fan grills!
    Ah, I am planning another surprise for the top... will see how it goes by the weekend

Xtreme Addict
    Can't wait to see what its
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

I am Xtreme
    That is a lot of hardware for such a small case. Really jealous of your crimpers too.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanx for feedback, Guys, appreciated

@ Lowfat: If you hunt around on Ebay, you will find a few at affordable pricing - probably the best investment I have ever made!

No modding updates this weekend, I enrolled with iRacing, getting back into Racing Sims after a break. Time to dust of my old Nixim Frame and ECCI Trackstar 6000 wheel and pedals....

For those that have been wondering about the temperatures - I have been racing the whole weekend, some practice-sessions lasting 5-6 hours, and with ambient at 24, the GPU never exceeded 32 deg C, and the CPU not once over 44 deg C (1 of the 4 cores only, the other were idling at low 30's). The single 240mm rad is doing exactly what I expected it to, and never even broke a sweat.

Xtreme Member
    Wait,wait...I feel something does not fit.
    Pump in Apogee Drive II can properly operate horizontally?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LL.jpg 
Views:	1350 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	128963
    Last edited by Elder; 07-31-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: pic update

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Heya Mate, no problem with that orientation, as long as you have a proper liquid-head to keep pump filled, so as to prevent it from running dry, and subsequent bearing-failure.

All good, and I am very sure the likes of Swiftech and Koolance have done their homework on this, as the Koolance RP-series reservoir/pump combos are in the same orientation.

Xtreme Addict
    Beany! Why were you up in the Ville? Do you come up often?

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Heya Paul, soz for the late reply - don't go that often, but from time to time- when I am up there next, let's meet PM me your phone0no.

I usually pop up to visit Sucrogen....

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Just looking and wish I could get you over here for a week and learn from you.
    Very nice work..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Just looking and wish I could get you over here for a week and learn from you.
    Very nice work..
    Thanx Uncle Dave! You're always welcome, you know

Merry Christmas, everyone, and a Blessed New Year to you all!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123