Thread: Issue with Aquaero , please help :(

Issue with Aquaero , please help :(

So I have an Aquaero VFD 4.00 with power booster. It appears for some reason my 4 pin molex was not wired correctly when I connected it ( was sleeved and the wires were not correctly put back to the right pins) and the Aquaero seemed to be over volted( I think). The display looks like this:

[img]
    IMG_1442 by CoolHandsM3, on Flickr[/img]

The Aquaero still runs my fans and pump as normal BUT is there anyway to get the screen working correctly again? Do I need a new VFD display? if so where can I get it? Or is there a way I can repair this? I can solder if needed.
    I would just buy another Aquaero 4.00 VFD with powerbooster but I have scoured the internet and they are not available, not even used!

Thanks for the help!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by blackvette94 View Post
    So I have an Aquaero VFD 4.00 with power booster. It appears for some reason my 4 pin molex was not wired correctly when I connected it ( was sleeved and the wires were not correctly put back to the right pins) and the Aquaero seemed to be over volted( I think). The display looks like this:
    *snip*
    The Aquaero still runs my fans and pump as normal BUT is there anyway to get the screen working correctly again? Do I need a new VFD display? if so where can I get it? Or is there a way I can repair this? I can solder if needed.
    I would just buy another Aquaero 4.00 VFD with powerbooster but I have scoured the internet and they are not available, not even used!

Thanks for the help!!
    The display is a Noritake, but I think it has the controller built into its circuit board. I ended up using mine as an Aquaero LT when I screwed up the display on mine. I looked high and low for a Noritake with the same controller built in and could never find one. FYI, after my display burned out it was only a couple of months before it stopped remembering my settings, etc. So it may be that other problems eventually surface even if you're able to get a new display.

You might try contacting AC directly, or post on their forums here.

Good luck; I hope you are able to get yours figured out.
    Current Project: City of Light, (sortof) Updated 3/25 - A New Arrival

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by headala View Post
    The display is a Noritake, but I think it has the controller built into its circuit board. I ended up using mine as an Aquaero LT when I screwed up the display on mine. I looked high and low for a Noritake with the same controller built in and could never find one. FYI, after my display burned out it was only a couple of months before it stopped remembering my settings, etc. So it may be that other problems eventually surface even if you're able to get a new display.

You might try contacting AC directly, or post on their forums here.

Good luck; I hope you are able to get yours figured out.
    or message shoggy

Xtreme Addict
    I had this with a customer pc not so long back (or similar) and found that if you tighten up the screws that mount it in the bay it would screw up and you had to release pressure off the screws.

Not the ideal thing but fixed the problem. I advised the user to contact them and let them know but dont know what came of it.

Them Aquaero are fragile little buggers.
    Mayhems Lastest News -> https://www.facebook.com/Mayhems2009

If you need to direct contact me its michael at mayhems dot co dot uk.

This one should also work if you cant find a VFD display : http://www.aquatuning.de/product_inf...r-aquaero.html

Quote Originally Posted by mlwood37 View Post
    I had this with a customer pc not so long back (or similar) and found that if you tighten up the screws that mount it in the bay it would screw up and you had to release pressure off the screws.

Not the ideal thing but fixed the problem. I advised the user to contact them and let them know but dont know what came of it.

Them Aquaero are fragile little buggers.
    Thanks for the info! I removed the aquaero from my case and it still has the problem, did you loosen the screws that connect the display to the rest of the aquaero? Does this seem to be a display issue? I can buy a new VFD display and install it if thats the case

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackvette94 View Post
    Thanks for the info! I removed the aquaero from my case and it still has the problem, did you loosen the screws that connect the display to the rest of the aquaero?
    the ones that hold the screen? the screws that hold it in the case shouldnt put pressure on the screen even under the worst times.

edit: looks like i was wrong
    Last edited by NKrader; 01-05-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    we just did the screws on the drive bay that's all and it worked how ever when the case was moved around it still had problems.
    Mayhems Lastest News -> https://www.facebook.com/Mayhems2009

If you need to direct contact me its michael at mayhems dot co dot uk.

I actually had a similar problem with mine. Some bad wiring choice with one of my fans connected to it messed up the display's characters so they looked kind of like gibberish and squares like that. All I did to get mine working again was reinstall/flash the firmware and all was well again. It's a bit tricky process and obviously something I'd only attempt as a last resort, but I was surprised to save my beloved VFD + Power Booster. I was very scared I borked it considering how much it cost.

But of course, if you can, try and message Shoggy to see if AC can fix it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Beriphent View Post
    I actually had a similar problem with mine. Some bad wiring choice with one of my fans connected to it messed up the display's characters so they looked kind of like gibberish and squares like that. All I did to get mine working again was reinstall/flash the firmware and all was well again. It's a bit tricky process and obviously something I'd only attempt as a last resort, but I was surprised to save my beloved VFD + Power Booster. I was very scared I borked it considering how much it cost.

But of course, if you can, try and message Shoggy to see if AC can fix it for you.
    Your issue sound identical to mine, how do I go about reflashing the unit? Is there a special cable I need? I accidently threw out the box with all the cables it came with awhile ago

blackvette94: Hopefully, you still have the 5 pin USB cable to connect the Aquaero to your motherboard at least? That would be required!

I can't remember exactly how I reflashed the firmware, but I think it came from within the AquaSuite software (provided with the CD that is included). I remember I clicked on some "Update Firmware" menu hidden somewhere in the software that did the trick...

This was the best I could find online if you don't have the CD/software, but I have a feeling it's outdated:
    http://www.aqua-computer.de/e_content/e_download.htm

It might be worth e-mailing AC on this one to have them send you the most updated version for Aquaero 4.
    Last edited by Beriphent; 01-06-2012 at 03:18 PM.