Thread: The little Venice that could...

Xtreme Enthusiast

The little Venice that could...

The bad thing about the enthusiast market is that people doesn't really feel how a platform gets aged with time, as everyone is spending money to be always sitting on top of the latest. Such aging process may show you to learn to pay attention that things that otherwise no one would have ever notice on a shining brand new piece of Hardware.

At the beginning of 2006, I builded my first K8 based machine: A sort of humble Athlon 64 3000+ Venice DH-E6 with an ASUS A8N-VM CSM. I purchased the A64 because I was short of money to go for an Opteron 144, let alone a Dual Core. What I always regretted is the Motherboard, that besides having an OEM-like BIOS that didn't let me any sort of overclocking, it always overvolted the Processor by 0.1V and the Voltage also always fluctuated by 0.025V, and worst of all, it got severely beated by the Biostars TForces when they got released barely a month of two after I made my purchased, with a much more impresive BIOS feature set and a lower price tag. Anyways...

That machine also started my interest on undervolting. As I couldn't raise the Multiplier, and the only way to overclock it was raising the Base Clock with Clockgen (Something not very practical to do because it has to be done very slowly everytime I restarted my machine because raising it more than a few MHz at a time caused it to freeze or BSOD), the only practical tweak I could do was undervolting it using Central Brain Identifier, and lowering the default 1.4 VID (Fluctuating bewthem 1.1475-1.5V according to CPU-Z) to 1.1V (1.175-1.2V). The machine was 100% stable, generated less heat, and could make the Processor live longer by stressing it less, basically, it has no cons and made me fell part of a small but interesing enthusiast niche.

Around three years passed, and I started to noticed that even after cleaning the Heatsink, reapplying fresh silicon grease and placing it again, temperatures were much higher than it once used to be. 60-65°C Full Load on a low Frequency, undervolted Processor didn't seem that right, but I didn't payed attention as I always was too lazy to do anything about it, after all, the machine was fully stable being on 24/7. Every year, temperatures started to get higher and higher. While undervolted temperatures were higher than it once was at stock Voltage, I did nothing and really never worried about. The problem comes, precisely, that while undervolted I didn't worried, when the machine boots at its 1.4V the situation isn't that fun. This is specifically because the machine is no longer at my hands but used by my sister and grandmother. I had to teach my sister to undervolt it using CBID, but that isn't not something I can easily teach to my grandmother. So as the situation worsened, two years ago it was 75-80°C, one year ago 85-90°C, and now it can easily cross at bootup (That means, turning it on, waiting for it to load Windows and open Core Temp as fast as possible) 100°C. Actually, the most I saw on CoreTemp was 111°C (!!!). My grandmother, when turning on the machine by herself, reported that after starting to play Bejewelled it blackscreened. This doesn't happens when undervolted as it doesn't cross the 80°C barrier. So I had to do something about this, after 3 years of laziness, to stop risking my old adventure friend to meet hell.

In those three years I learned that while I can be a bit clumsy with my hands to remove and place again the Heatsink (Removing it specifically was a sacred pain in the ass, always seeing how the Motherboard bended, fearing the possibily of it breaking up. Until I improved after learning to use an screwdiver and where to place it, huh...), having done it several times in a row and applying the silicon grease in different ways didn't fixed the temperature issue (Like, a bit on the center and let the Heatsink pressure do the rest, using a Credit Card to spread it thinly about the entire Heatspreader surface). So I had to think on something else: Either I reinstalled the Heatsink more than 10 times, all wrong, the thermal grease was of bad quality and expired, or there was something else going on.
    Those "something else" was pretty much two things: First, the Processor thermal diode could have become increasingly faulty. This was possible, but unprobable, because the temperatures reported by Core Temp, while varying wildly, were coherent. This didn't matched actual faulty designs like of those from Brisbane BH-G1 that were always much lower that ambient temperature and didn't seem to really change with Processor load. At 1.4V it could be 20-30°C higher than at 1.1V. It also reacted very fast everytime that the Processor had even a minor load (Launching a program or game resulted on an almost instant 5°C or higher jump). However, this behaviator is what is expected from a Processor with no Heatsink, or very badly installed, something that I pretty much discarded. But the point is that the thermal diode didn't seem to be giving incoherent readings.
    The other possible reason was that whatever compound AMD used bewthem the actual Core and the Heatspreader was drying up, degrading, or whatever. That could be a possible reason to explain why it acted like if it didn't had a Heatsink. As in my local Hardware Forum also a guy appeared that had pretty much my same issues (Very high Idle temps) with a same era Athlon 64, finally, yesterday, after 3 years of doing nothing about it while the situation worsened, I decided to google this specific possibily, and was greeted with exactly what I was expecting: This Thread. Basically, the thermal grease that AMD used on those old Athlons 64 seems to dry up after some years. This means that to fix my Venice issues, I have to remove the Heatspreader, and apply some good thermal grease with sticking properties (Artic Silver Ceramique?). I still didn't got the grease but I should try to purchase it in a few more days.

I made this Thread for two reasons: First, to warn everyone with a similar issue, that for old K8s that seems to be overheating for no reason, is the grease used under the Heatspreader to be blamed. Such people seems to be hard to find because in these years I barely remember ever having heared about people with similar issues.
    Second, because on pretty much everywhere, there is a whole bunch of uninformed people that gets scared when they see their Processor temperature 55°C or 60°C and spam "Are these temperatures right?" Threads, when I can happily say that Processors can have such a high endurance as to be fully stable even at 90°C (Though at low Frequency due to much higher resistance of the silicon at such temperatures), and even coming back alive from 110°C.

Xtreme Addict
    nice story
    1. ASUS Sabertooth 990fx | FX 8320 || 2. DFI DK 790FXB-M3H5 | X4 810
    8GB Samsung 30nm DDR3-2000 9-10-10-28 || 4GB PSC DDR3-1333 6-7-6-21
    Corsair TX750W | Sapphire 6970 2GB || BeQuiet PurePower 450w | HD 4850
    EK Supreme | AC aquagratix | Laing Pro | MoRa 2 || Aircooled

Xtreme Member
    Yo removí el IHS de un 3200+ Venice, hace tiempo, cuando eran buenos. Podés ponerle cualquier grasa y dejarle el IHS apoyado, si va a estar en tus manos, o sea, bajo el cuidado de alguien que entiende. Depende como enganche tu cooler, podés también usarlo sin IHS.

Edit: I removed the IHS froma 3200+ a while ago. You can use any type of TIM and let the IHS over the CPU not glued. You could also use it without the IHS.
    Main: Windows 10 Core i7 5820K @ 4500Mhz, Corsair H100i, 32GB DDR4-2800, eVGA GTX980 Ti, Kingston SSDNow 240GB, Crucial C300 64GB Cache + WD 1.5TB Green, Asus X99-A/USB3.1
    ESXi Server 6.5 Xeon E5 2670, 64GB DDR3-1600, 1TB, Intel DX79SR, 4xIntel 1Gbps
    ESXi Server 6.0 Xeon E5 2650L v3, 64GB DDR4-2400, 1TB, Asrock X99 Xtreme4, 4xIntel 1Gbps
    FreeNAS 9.10 x64 Xeon X3430 , 32GB DDR3-1600, 3x(3x1TB) WD Blue, Intel S3420GPRX, 4xIntel 1Gbps

Xtreme Member
    Sort of related, but with more luck, I also have a k8 machine that's been running since 2005, although it's an older and hotter 754 ClawHammer (130nm 3.7+CG@2.6 1.55v and a xp90c). I've reapplied TP (mx2) both on it and a 6800gt@ultra with a TR V1, replacing the AS5 that was sitting there for almost 6 years. To my surprise, it was only "cured" where it bleed out, whereas both central contact zones were still positively damp. This computer had been running non stop for all those years, as a home server, and even taking a spin on it to finish two recent 40h+ RPGs last year. I didn't take notice on GPU temps, but CPU only got better for about 1-1.5ºC, and this could have been only for an improvement over the older "spread with glove" TP application instead of a bead for mx2. I've always heard that AS5 should be reapplied for about every 2 years, but it seems like (at least with older hardware and TDPs) it doesn't degrade significantly.
    On my latest build I was going to use TR CF III, but I ended going instead with MX4 (which is a slightly worse performer) due to the announced CF III (short) life to avoid a future situation like yours.

edit: Btw, temperature vs stability has much to do with speed and voltage so don't make assumptions based only on your CPU. Just because you can browse and do most everyday stuff without crashing it doesn't mean you're able to prime, or do something stressful at >60Cº for a decent amount of time (when overclocked+overvolted). I bet that if you didn't lent the computer and you were using it full time, the instability and small quirks would be far more obvious than when it's up the the point of people complaining about BSODs. If you lived in the dfi 754 and later 939 days, you should be well familiar with the typical ~55-60ºC k8 stability limit, so you wouldn't question it so far as saying that 90ºC is still safe for 24/7.
    Last edited by AlleyViper; 01-03-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    Strix X470-F, 1.2.0.6b | 5800X3D + Galahad 360, 3xP28 | 4x8GB Flare X 3200C14 @3200C14 1T+GDM | Strix 2070S A8G @1830/1750 | SB Z | SN750 500GB, MX500 1TB, DT01 2TB | O11D XL: 6xNB PL-2 | RM750

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @ AlleyViper
    Did your first paragraph talks about thermal grease under the Heatsink, or the Heatspreader?

Quote Originally Posted by AlleyViper View Post
    edit: Btw, temperature vs stability has much to do with speed and voltage so don't make assumptions based only on your CPU. Just because you can browse and do most everyday stuff without crashing it doesn't mean you're able to prime, or do something stressful at >60Cº for a decent amount of time (when overclocked+overvolted). I bet that if you didn't lent the computer and you were using it full time, the instability and small quirks would be far more obvious than when it's up the the point of people complaining about BSODs. If you lived in the dfi 754 and later 939 days, you should be well familiar with the typical ~55-60ºC k8 stability limit, so you wouldn't question it so far as saying that 90ºC is still safe for 24/7.
    I do know that. But most newcomers that come here asking for the temperatures of their brand new machine, are usually jumped by a bunch of enthusiasts that tell them to purchase a 50 U$D new Heatsink because 60°C is "too high". I was here on the S754/939 era and didn't pay attention to that supposed "55-60°C" limit because I was never into overclocking, but I have proved than my Venice goes stable well beyond that. What I do remember is that most people wrongly thinked than the MaxCase Temp was the max value than the Processor may work stable at, a definition that was wrong but most people here took as true.
    It may be precisely because being at 1.8 GHz it has a higher temperature headroom that something overclocked to 2.6 or 2.8 GHz, but so, for people that doesn't care/know about overclocking that is far from the limit, and most people are scaring these guys to have them at lower values than the MaxCase Temp values. Oh, and that machine while usually not 24/7 like it once used to be, it IS used for gaming anywhere bewthem 4-10 hours @ 75-80°C, with 0 stability issues reported.

Xtreme Member
    I was only talking about the regular grease between the cpu's glued IHS (to make it less confusing) and a xp90c over it. Fortunately it doesn't to be any (significant) degradation on the TIM between core and IHS along those years (always hovered around 48-52ºC). I just pointed my case as an example of an old curing TIM application (such as as5 or ceramique), that many might wonder if theirs still perform fine in an older system.

Again, stability at a certain temp has a lot to do with voltage and speed, also temperature within cpu die parts can vary a lot for the same cpu diode reading depending on what you're pushing. If it wasn't so, amd wouldn't provide such wimpy coolers that barely can keep a 4 core stock under 60ºC full load, but they still work stable. I concur that buying something very expensive just to go around this temp (albeit the noise level benefit that you can also have with something cheaper), is simply a waste of money. This is a completely different situation to the same cpu reporting 60ºC under top air while pushing high cpu_vid/cpu_nb, that might already be tossing errors due to heat a couple degrees earlier. Your 1.8GHz should seriously be helping it, but so as the software that's being used. Toss it the usual prime blend, etc, and it will error out way before 75ºC, even if some games aren't bothered. When I used my 3.7+ 754 it was mostly to play IL2 v2-4.xx (a very stressful flight sim at it's time), which was known to cause overclocked parts to fail way sooner than most games did (and not so funnily to owners, some pre-overclocked cards too); I also counted on this cpu to do some lengthy 3d renders for university. It all goes down on how much you can call it stable, for what you do 24/7 that might not hit a problem, or extreme testing.

If most recommend to keep under MaxCase temp, it's more about avoiding long term cpu degradation than proven stability at this point. If you check around, some PIIs have already shown similar problems given enough time. Btw, I've degraded (imc) an overclocked 130nm 2800+ by keeping it around 60ºC for a year, even if without killer vcore (1.62V for 2.5GHz ain't much for a 130nm). All of a sudden it wasn't capable anymore of running very low latency ram.
    Strix X470-F, 1.2.0.6b | 5800X3D + Galahad 360, 3xP28 | 4x8GB Flare X 3200C14 @3200C14 1T+GDM | Strix 2070S A8G @1830/1750 | SB Z | SN750 500GB, MX500 1TB, DT01 2TB | O11D XL: 6xNB PL-2 | RM750

My old s939 Venice had the same problem happen to it. I had to take of the IHS, and dremel the Heatsink Retention Mechanism (to account for the missing IHS). Temps were better than it had ever seen after that. Oddly, though, my s754 Venice is still chugging along fine with the IHS on today.

BTW, in my experiences, I've never been able to get a single Venice chip to run over 2.4-2.5 Ghz stable on a 64bit OS. These same chips could run 2.8 Ghz + on any 32bit OS, but for a 64bit, they would never be able to prime for even a few minutes at those speeds.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This time, I bring Screenshots. First thing to note is that they are edited. As it is not my machine, there were files scattered around all the Desktop, so the Background was blacked out and Screenshots resized for privacy sake. I forget to try to save the clock, though. It was interesing to see how little time elapsed bewthem one Screenshot and the other with the drastic temperature changes.

Routinely, I ask my sister to tell me how temps are going. Today, she forget to open CBID to lower the Voltage, so when I saw Core Temp myself...

...I was greeted with a VERY GRIM picture. I opened CBID, and took that Screenshot. Actually, I just saw how my Venice broke a new temperature record, as the most I saw before was 107°C or so. Minecraft was running minimized (She had played it for hours), that is the reason why it was at Full Load. This means that when my grandmother was greeted by the shutdowns it should have gone higher than that (Possibily 115°C? Do someone have idea what is the Hardware enforced overheat protection for these?). Notice how fun the 53°C TCaseMax looks when it is sitting at 111°C, heh.
    Also note that in this Screenshot the Current Temperature on CBID is blank (Don't recall if this was somehow chopped out while editing), though on all the others Screenshots it displays. However, that sensor value is innacurate, because the default one that CBID reads for that box isn't the actual Core diode. I didn't Double Clicked on that box to choose the proper sensor (In one of the other Screenshots, another tab of CBID reports the same current temperature that Core Temp does). As CBID is old already and most knowledge of that era is lost, I don't know if my Venice was throttling or not, though CBID seems to be able to detect throttling and there wasn't any.

...So after tooking the Screenshot, I hastily lowered the Voltage to 1.1V. The result was an almost instant drop by 30°C, and you can also see that before I did, it was able to touch a new 114°C max.

A bit after I underclocked it to 1 GHz from its nominal 1.8 GHz, to see how it also instantly chopped another 15°C, to 66°C. All these three Screenshots were made during the same Core Temp session, keeping the same horrible 113/114°C max value. I closed it, but later opened it again because I decided to take a few more Screenshots.

For this one I raised the Multiplier to 9x again to have it at 1.8 GHz. Temperature is lower than on second Screenshot because it had gone though the underclock cooling down, though I didn't really let it heat itself up for barely more than 10 seconds. This Screenshot got the Network Card status that reports 11h 26m uptime... And I don't know what sort of loads it had during half a day, but it means that it didn't had any sort of restart or BSOD. I didn't checked Idle temp for 1.8 GHz @ 1.4V, but they should be scary enough without needing a few hours worth of Minecraft on it...

CPU-Z Screenshot. You can see the Voltage reported from it 0.68V higher than VID (This is the ASUS A8N-VM CSM overvolt I was talking about). You can't see it fluctuating though, something that temperature also does as it reacts very quickly even to the most minor load. Also note the CBID CPU1 ThrmSensor, that one matchs Core Temp.

Idle temperature (Again, I didn't really let it time to cool down).

Anyone still dares to doubt that Processors are able to endure MUCH MORE than what most people here would ever believe? I'm still a bit uneasy about removing the Heatspreader to replace the thermal grease bewthem the Core and it because I fear to damage side Capacitors doing so and can't really replace at this moment that machine, but at this rate I don't see it having too much life remaining... So I will have to gather courage and do it as soon as possible.
    Last edited by zir_blazer; 01-04-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for those epic screenshots
    For just a bit of peace of mind, despite that crazy high cpu diode read, how much is the socket diode reading? If you let it stabilize, cpu diode reads shouldn't be higher for more than ~5-10ºC in old K8s. Even tough some funny stuff to that interval might happen if those temps are accurate, you never know.
    These cpus changed a lot with time since the first clawhammers/newcastles, it might be that your bios is simply misreading the CPU diode. I'm giving you a much older example, in the 754 days the older C0 CPUs reported different temps when compared to later CGs, and bios were either set for one or the other (this is easy to check on a dfi 250gb, from stock to later bios). Given the experience with 3 cpus, I could confirm differences up to 10ºC (cpu diode) for the same socket temp reading (stable); this was all before 90nm stuff, with just a slight architecture change.
    939s had way more variants, and a greater chance for things to go wrong or updated on what wasn't a top board. An example is the DFI NF4 Infinity, it would report crazy low diode temps with 90nm stuff - a friend of mine had his 3800+ x2 reporting about 15ºC lower than socket diode.

NooB MOD
    I don't know how the hell you did that All of my A64s used to shutdown at 90'c even with thermal shutdown disabled.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

are u sure it was not a sensor error?
    to damn hot to survive

Xtreme Addict
    He described shutdown due to the heat, so might be possible its actually hot

But yeah board sensor would be very interesting^^

Xtreme Addict
    He described shutdown due to the heat, so might be possible its actually hot

But yeah board sensor would be very interesting^^

anyway, removing the ihs on those cpu's was very easy, because it will not stick to the cpu really after you cut the black silicone.

You just need to make sure not to bend the contacts and to scratch into the pcb and cutting some lanes, and not to cut deeper then like 5mm. You can use tape to prepare a razor blade, leaving like 4 mm free (there are some nice how-to's around for every cpu).

To save the contacts, i put the cpu on a small piece of foam material like which is shipped with the cpu's, and dont use too much force....

Good Luck

Xtreme Member
    I had some old venice chips hit 119c before shutting down. I did this once or twice while thawing pots after dice sessions, and a few other times unplugging the fans on the air coolers to show friends. The chips all still work, and so does the board! s939 chips are tanks!

Desktop (and Cruncher #1):AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 4.03Ghz | Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P (F8n) | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB @ 9-9-9-24-1T 1680MHz | Radeon HD 5850 & 5830 | Silverstone ST75F 750W | 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 3x1TB WD RE3 (Raid 5) | Lian Li PC-A70B
    Cruncher (#2): Intel Core I7 920 (stock) | EVGA X58 SLI | G.Skill Pi 3x2GB | 2x Radeon HD 6870 | Corsair HX850 | Some Janky HDD | LanCool PC-K7
    Cruncher (#3): Intel Core I7 2600k (stock) | BioStar TH67+ | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB | Antec Basiq550 | Some Janky HDD | Antec 300
    Server: Intel Atom | 2x2GB DDR3 | ThermalRight TR2-430 | Some Less Janky Laptop HDD | Fractal Core-1000
    Mobile: Lenovo X120e