Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cherryville - SSD 520

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by neeyuese View Post
    I saw the original photo 10 months ago. It is SF2281 ES and JS29F32B08JCME2 ES.
    10 months from ES and still not ready.

How long would it normally take for a product to go from ES to retail?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    How can your inside source not know that? If he knows what controller Intel is using, and how long they have been working on the Sandforce firmware, it would seem he should know about power-loss protection. Maybe your source is not as reliable as you would have us believe.
    You really are after to discredit me, aren't you? It's not someone I speak with on a regular basis, I was only told about the controller and work on the firmware and I didn't bother to ask more since it's someone I respect very much. If you are after to discredit me - take it by PM. I will not give out any granular details in an open forum thread that could reveal the persons identity.

EDIT: On the other hand I am not in the mood so just forget everything I said and move along, it's probably all just wrong precisely like you want it to be This will be the last thread I visit when more information on Cherryville comes up. Why I and my patience even bothered with you is also a mystery.
    Last edited by Smartidiot89; 12-18-2011 at 02:19 AM.
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    You really are after to discredit me, aren't you? It's not someone I speak with on a regular basis, I was only told about the controller and work on the firmware and I didn't bother to ask more since it's someone I respect very much. If you are after to discredit me - take it by PM.
    No need to get excited. Strong statements ("confirmed") require solid evidence. I am not trying to "discredit" you, but rather trying to determine if there is any solid evidence to back up your strong statements. So far, I am not convinced.

Xtreme Mentor
    Below are the specs for an OCZ SF drive. I have cherry picked the fastest performance available over the spectrum of different capacity drives.

OCZ SF
    0 fill:

Max Read: 550MB/s
    Max Write: 520MB/s
    Random Read 4KB: 50K IOPS
    Random Write: 4KB: 50K IOPS (Logical Block Address (LBA) range: 85% of total drive capacity)
    Random Write: 4KB: 85K IOPS (Logical Block Address (LBA) range: 8GB)

Non compressible (AS-SSD; 64 thread for 4K specs):

Max Read: 510MB/s
    Max Write: 280MB/s
    Random Read 4KB: 56K IOPS
    Random Write: 4KB: 56K IOPS

Here are the specs for the 520 (from Anvils post #35). Again I have cherry picked the fastest specs. It is unclear how Intel established their specs, but I think they typically use a 8GB LBA range.

Intel 520

• Max Read: 550 MB/s
    • Max Write: 520 MB/s
    • Read IOPS: up to 85K
    • Random Write 4KB: 70K

So capacities match, as do sequential speeds, but the 520 read IOPs are significantly higher. Write IOPS on the other hand are lower.

The other thing that Intel state on the pdf that Anvil linked is that:

“IOPs and endurance specifications are for client-based workloads”.

It would be a bit disingenuous of Intel to base their specs on 0 fill and then say the IOPS and endurance specs are based on client-based works loads, so based on specs only I’m not convinced yet, although there does appear to be an overwhelming amount of circumstantial evidence that it will be SF based. Guess we will soon see.
    Last edited by Ao1; 12-19-2011 at 02:09 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Also, don't you think the SF bug would have been fixed along time ago if Intel was involved at all with the FW.

I mean, SF (and their parteners in crime) pretty much tried to basically blamed it on the Intel chipset.
    24/7 Cruncher #1
    Crosshair VII Hero, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO, 4x8GB GSKILL 3600MHz C15, ASUS TUF 3090 OC
    Samsung 980 1TB NVMe, Samsung 870 QVO 1TB, 2x10TB WD Red RAID1, Win 10 Pro, Enthoo Luxe TG, EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2

24/7 Cruncher #2
    ASRock X470 Taichi, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 AIO, 2x16GB GSKILL NEO 3600MHz C16, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
    Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe, Samsung 870 EVO 500GBWin 10 Ent, Enthoo Pro, Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W

24/7 Cruncher #3
    GA-P67A-UD4-B3 BIOS F8 mod, 2600k (L051B138) @ 4.5 GHz, 1.260v full load, Arctic Liquid 120, (Boots Win @ 5.6 GHz per Massman binning)
    Samsung Green 4x4GB @2133 C10, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hybrid, Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Rosewill Rise, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2

24/7 Cruncher #4 ... Crucial M225 64GB SSD Donated to Endurance Testing (Died at 968 TB of writes...no that is not a typo!)
    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS F10 modded, Q6600 G0 VID 1.212 (L731B536), 3.6 GHz 9x400 @ 1.312v full load, Zerotherm Zen FZ120
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR3-1600MHz C7, Gigabyte 7950 @1200/1250, Crucial MX100 128GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Centurion 590, XFX PRO650W

Music System
    SB Server->SB Touch w/Android Tablet as a remote->Denon AVR-X3300W->JBL Studio Series Floorstanding Speakers, JBL LS Center, 2x SVS SB-2000 Subs

I always figured the 520 would have a Micron controller.
    Something similar to what the Crucial m4 uses.

Seems plausible with all the close work they have been doing together on other projects.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    ^
    I expect you are thinking of the Marvell controller used on the m4/C300 etc.
    (Micron does not currently offer an SSD controller for the masses)

There really is not much point in speculating, it can't be anything other than the SandForce-2XXX controller, even the delays point in that direction.

I was hoping for a release this year or some sneak preview, but...
    -
    Hardware:

Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    ^
    I expect you are thinking of the Marvell controller used on the m4/C300 etc.
    (Micron does not currently offer an SSD controller for the masses)

There really is not much point in speculating, it can't be anything other than the SandForce-2XXX controller, even the delays point in that direction.

I was hoping for a release this year or some sneak preview, but...
    That was the one I was refering to.

I know I read the Marvell was in the m4 on the endurance thread but had forgotten. My bad.
    Thanks

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestang View Post
    Also, don't you think the SF bug would have been fixed along time ago if Intel was involved at all with the FW.
    IMHO I would think with an excessive amount of time and money involved in holding up production without a reasonably quick fix then Intel might have looked for a different solution. Maybe the problem was not confined to just firmware, who knows.

I would also like to think Intel would not use figures based on unreal world performance, i.e. highly compressible data such as 0-fill for example used with a controller that uses compression, but perhaps I'm just being naive.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    CES
    Quoted from legitreview

"Intel went on to say that it took a rather long period of time to bring the Intel SSD 520 to market as they had to validate it and make sure it was perfected. The drive will have an Intel written firmware that blends together reliability, functionality and performance. This means you get the longer than the industry average 5-year warranty, access to Intel Toolbox utility and other utilities to make life with an SSD easy. "
    -
    Hardware:

Xtreme Mentor

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks for the links
    (the forum editor is not iPad friendly and so putting in links is a pain)
    -
    Hardware:

RAIDer
    Intel had a side-by-side demo of their next generation SSD up against a 10,000 RPM hard drive.

That is so 80's!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ao1 View Post
    The article can be found here:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1814/1/
    Thanks for the link.

But, ARGHHHHHHHH!

Intel confirmed that this is an upcoming drive that will be out shortly that uses a third party controller. This confirms rumors that we heard at this show last year and that Intel really is bringing a SandForce Driven processor by LSI into their flagship SSD.
    No! If all the Intel representative said was that it uses a "third party controller", then no, it does NOT cofirm rumors that Intel is "bringing a SandForce" controlled SSD to market. The Intel 510 uses a third party controller (Marvell).
    Last edited by johnw; 01-09-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I did pick up on that. It's like saying 2 + 2 = 5. Hopefully Comp comes back with some info.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Thanks for the link.

But, ARGHHHHHHHH!

No! If all the Intel representative said was that it uses a "third party controller", then no, it does NOT cofirm rumors that Intel is "bringing a SandForce" controlled SSD to market. The Intel 510 uses a third party controller (Marvell).
    You’ve got to love the internet

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Te...-look-CES-2012

They (Legit Reviews ) got confirmation that Intel will indeed be using a Sandforce based controller in an upcoming SSD, the 520 Cherryville, which will replace the 510 series.

Quote Originally Posted by Ao1 View Post
    You’ve got to love the internet

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Te...-look-CES-2012

They (Legit Reviews ) got confirmation that Intel will indeed be using a Sandforce based controller in an upcoming SSD, the 520 Cherryville, which will replace the 510 series.
    We all know there is only one third party controller available on the market so it would have to be SF.
    1+1=11 so now we have confirmation.

Xtreme Guru
    gah forum doublepost...then try to delete one it deletes both!

yes they have not officially listed the SF yet.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    The 520 is starting to pop-up in price-lists
    (the prices are insane so don't bother looking at them)

Link to prisjakt
    I wonder how long before it's removed from that page, no specs, just prices
    -
    Hardware:

Xtreme Guru
    review units will be in hand (not mine unfortunately ) on Tuesday. they overnight them monday, public availability soon thereafter.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I expected they were very close to release

Hopefully the prices will be more competitive than the 510 was.
    -
    Hardware:

Xtreme Guru
    well, we both know that wont happen LOL

Les will have the scoop very very quickly. He is waiting with a screwdriver...
    Last edited by Computurd; 01-11-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    The 520 is starting to pop-up in price-lists
    (the prices are insane so don't bother looking at them)

Link to prisjakt
    I wonder how long before it's removed from that page, no specs, just prices
    Holy banana that 240GB is about £500 GBP if I'm correct about the currency conversion?!
    This guy is xtremely lazy

Xtreme X.I.P.
    £520 or $800 based on the current rate for the 240GB
    (incl 25% vat)
    -
    Hardware:

Xtreme Mentor
    Getting all the bugs out of the SF controller obviously didn’t come cheap (sorry could't help it )

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast