Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New XSPC waterblock, The RAYSTORM!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Seeing roughly a 1.5-2C improvement over the Rasa with the wrong orientation in the little testing I have done so far, but I still have a bunch more to do before having anything solid to share. Is that better..
    When you say wrong direction, you mean that you put the inlet in the outlet of the waterblock and the outlet in the inlet of the waterblock? or the jetplate were in the wrong direction?

Xtreme Addict
    Better than Rasa? Sweet!

I'd like to see them shipped with red LEDs... I mean they did a photo shot on a Rampage board, you'd think they would have red lighting on the block!
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

I am Xtreme
    It it is up to 2C better than the Rasa that puts it almost bang on w/ the CPU-370. So a damn good performer and a high flow block. Sounds like a winner.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pokazene_maslo View Post
    Too bad that there is not available a nickel plated version.
    I wonder why they don't make the jetplate wider - forcing water to flow longer through the fins.
    Attachment 120528
    Because it is unnecessary. The majority of the heat dissipation takes place in the center of the block, right over the CPU cores, which the jetplate lines up nicely with.

The barb spacing is very wide, is it enough to accommodate two 3/4 OD compression fittings?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    The review is up with the testing I have done so far:
    http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/09/...xspc-raystorm/

Cheers!
    Martin

This uses the nozzle lined up with core orientation, which I'm not sure is optimal. Planning to make a few runs the other way to check or find out otherwise.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 09-26-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    nice, where can I buy it?
    upgrading...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    nowhere at the moment...but their website says:
    We are aiming to get it to reseller in early October.

Banned
    overall, this block comes in third in thermals, since both EK Ni and AC Kryos HF have consistent wins over the CPU 370. So really, not bad performance from a block that is mainly made from plastic. My only issue with the block is the acrylic mounting piece. I have seen what a little heat and pressure can do to acrylic. Note that, most people do not watercool their chipset. With the original fan + heatsink, the area around the CPU stays somewhat cool. When we use a water block, that are can get toasty. I would really like to see what would happen to that mounting system with 24/7 oc folding.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    But as per the above chart, the EK does not beat the 370....

Xtreme Member
    Nice read. Thanks for the testing Martinm210!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I have not tested a kryos..I requested a sample a while back but didn't have any luck sorry. I have tested the supreme HF including an all copper top but the acrylic top actually did just as well for me using MX2. All copper is the same as full Ni without the plating. My particular i7 2600K is very picky about prefering blocks with very sharp base bow that enhance mechanical contact. Having a very sharp and extreme amount of bow is what separates some of the top performers in my grouping since I am using normal paste. Using a liquid metal would have less need of that and depend more on just internal design features. I'm not into the mess or reflow requirements of the all metals, so good old paste testing it is and MX2 is my chosen standard. It is after all what the blocks come packaged with..

That's not to say there isn't a difference in feel though between all metal and plastic blocks. There is also something to be said for the quality feeling you get holding the mass of an all metal block. I do prefer all copper or copper and brass if I had my choice on materials and cost was not a worry, nickel plating I would pass on if given the choice (prefer the more natural raw metal look myself).

Anyhow..just one test on one 2600k processor and as you can see in the mounting variabilty..its not a high accuracy test...roughly a degree accuracy is about all I can do.

Cheers..Martin
    Last edited by Martinm210; 09-27-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Banned
    I love my paste as well; I take rig apart too many times to deal with a tim like Indigo Xtreme.

This block performs thermally close to the top blocks on the market, and I bet it will have a decent price point. Again, my only complaint is the plastic mounting piece. I am just concerned that it will crack overtime.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matari View Post
    Again, my only complaint is the plastic mounting piece. I am just concerned that it will crack overtime.
    In the past, Ek launched an ek supreme LT version that were of full acrylic:

And never heared someone saying that the block cracked.

Xtreme Member
    Remember that block. It all goes down to what acrylic you use, of what quality. I prefer delrin or all copper block though. If I understood from Martin's review the upper acrylic surface is somewhat reinforced by a thin metal plate which is good. You get the best of two world's - acrylic for some bling and some durability from metal. So wouldn't worry about it...

Technician
    Being advertised at £46 to £50 here for pre-order. Theyve slightly undercut the Supreme HF.

Slight Rasa price drop too which is nice - that's still a great block.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matari View Post
    overall, this block comes in third in thermals, since both EK Ni and AC Kryos HF have consistent wins over the CPU 370. So really, not bad performance from a block that is mainly made from plastic. My only issue with the block is the acrylic mounting piece. I have seen what a little heat and pressure can do to acrylic. Note that, most people do not watercool their chipset. With the original fan + heatsink, the area around the CPU stays somewhat cool. When we use a water block, that are can get toasty. I would really like to see what would happen to that mounting system with 24/7 oc folding.
    Where are you basing this from, aggregating other reviews? Martin's review does not agree with what you are stating, the EK block is beat by the Koolance and XSPC block in 4/5 of the mounts.
    Last edited by earthwormjim; 09-29-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Very nice effort from XSPC, impressive performance. Combined with the low price this will get to top recommendations quickly. I'm not fond of the acrylic load-bearing part though, but other than that this is probably the new king.

24/7 running quiet and nice

Xtreme Member
    sorry if i missed this but how is the mounting situation compared to the koolance block?

Xtreme Member
    We got our order in!!!!!!!

http://www.svc.com/rayintel.html Intel Version

http://www.svc.com/rayamd.html AMD Version

We got a limited number this batch; expect more soon!

Xtreme Addict
    I wouldn't mind picking up one of these. My GTZ is getting a bit dated.

One thing I do wish is that the AMD plate had the same curved mount arms, but oh well.

We'll see how the budget goes, but next build I might upgrade my waterblock. Might.
    I suspect it kills my fuzion v1 pretty handily.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Definitely getting this and powder-coating the mount White, is going to look perfect for my white and black build!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    One thing I do wish is that the AMD plate had the same curved mount arms, but oh well.

We'll see how the budget goes, but next build I might upgrade my waterblock. Might.
    I suspect it kills my fuzion v1 pretty handily.
    Im still using the Fuzion V1 too
    Looking at Martins Q6600 testing the Fuzion V1 seemes to be about 1-2C behind the Supreme V1(wich you can see in the charts in Martins post above)
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Quote Originally Posted by eXa View Post
    Im still using the Fuzion V1 too
    Looking at Martins Q6600 testing the Fuzion V1 seemes to be about 1-2C behind the Supreme V1(wich you can see in the charts in Martins post above)
    So maybe 5 degrees C difference. Eh, that's nothing at all, right?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    I kind of like the AMD mount, simple and clean looking
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast