Thread: 2600k Turbo Doesn't Work

Xtreme Member

Last edited by Skakruk; 12-19-2019 at 06:53 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Gigabyte mobo I suppose ?

enable the C states, in fact force them to enabled...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Addict
    For turbo boost to work correctly, idle cores have to be able to go into the C3/C6 sleep state so the remaining active core or cores can increase the multiplier. Check out ThrottleStop for accurate reporting of Intel Turbo Boost on each thread.

ThrottleStop 3.00
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...-2-Core-i-CPUs

Xtreme Addict
    That's how Turbo Boost works. It is constantly changing hundreds of times a second. The CPU constantly checks to see how many cores are in the active state and adjusts the amount of Turbo Boost accordingly.

There are always hundreds of background threads running on a Windows PC. These threads need to be processed so they randomly wake up additional cores. As more cores wake up, the multiplier goes down. As cores go back to sleep, the multiplier goes back up. It works great but most enthusiasts prefer to just lock the multiplier at one value rather than have it going up and down like this.

If you have locked a single thread of Prime95 to a single thread of your CPU, the multiplier being reported by ThrottleStop shouldn't be jumping around that much on the fully loaded thread. Turn on the log file option and post a log file while that test is running. I'd be surprised to see the log file jumping around between 3.5 and 3.8 GHz. Not all software accurately reports turbo boost since it is very dynamic.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 06-20-2011 at 08:17 AM.

I am Xtreme
    you think you will notice a performance hit between 3.4 or 3.8ghz ? don't think so mate , you won't even notice it as it's so freaking fast... best CPU technology in years

Quote Originally Posted by Skakruk View Post
    Yeah, I really don't like the idea of it jumping around like that. What's it going to do in games if the CPU clock is all over the show? If you're playing a single thread game and it's at 3.8, and then windows loads another thread and drops the clock, do you suddenly get a performance hit in the game. It seems to me that turbo makes for completely unpredictable performance.
    Thats not the case. Turbo Boost analyzes load hundreds of times per second. Therefore it will respond to a change in load in sub 1ms time and you will never notice the change in CPU speed. My MacBook Pro i7 is always stupid fast and its changing clocks from 2.66 up to 3.2Ghz all the time.

Performance still goes up due to the multiplier changing, even if it does it this fast. Don't worry about it! After all, it's a feature you paid for

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Skakruk View Post
    If you can't notice the change in CPU speed, why have Turbo change it at all?
    In most games you won't notice the turbo change in dorp in performance as it goes so freaking fast ( a GPU OC is far better), in pure single threaded stuff you will... no idea why you are so negative about it... it goes faster than your readout soft can detect it... And it gives a nice boost compared to other CPU designs...

Look here, some CPU's compared at out of the box clocks... Sandy Bridge CPU In Depth Look then compare all tested CPUs at 4000mhz : Sandy Bridge CPU In Depth Look at 4000Mhz

Is it worthwhile ? Yes it for sure is...

And next time if you quote me, plz quote my reply completely, changes the perspective big time...
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 06-25-2011 at 12:15 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Even at just 3400Mhz this CPU technology has more than enough power for any game out there... it can't be really compared to previous CPU designs... if you think you don't have enough CPU power, just OC it to 4000 or higher and get it over and done with with... if you don't want to OC, buy an Asus mobo they lock the CPU turbo at 3800mhz for all cores...