Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24pin ATX melted with after installing SLI

24pin ATX melted with after installing SLI

hi there, i have recently bought another GTX 480. and i added it to my rig yesterday, it was working perfectly fine untill today. my pc randomly shut off while playing Dragon Age: Origins. and it would not come on when i pressed the power button. so i left it there for about 15mins. and tried again and it powered on, but it wouldnt POST. all it would do is. power on for 3 seconds and power off for 3 second and then power on for 3 seconds and so on. and it would do this forever untill i turned off the PSU at the back. i have a be quiet dark power pro 1000W and thought the gtx 480 sli was darwing too much power. so i discconected everything and took the 20+4pin ATX cable out and on the 4pin part. one of the pins has litterally melted. so im guessing the motherboard is also screwed. however. when i take off one of the gtx 480 and connect the ATX cable it works even though one of the pins have melted. it still shutts off randomly from time to time though. and i have checked both of my 480's one by one and they are also working fine. but when it comes to SLI it just wont post... another thing is that everytime i take a component out and put back in, my BIOS settings get reset for some odd reason. so is my PSU not working or is my Motherboard not working?

oh and my CPU was NOT OC'ed at the time

here are some pictures. off the damage

I am Xtreme
    I would RMA both of them. You're lucky you haven't fried your rig.
    I'm guessing your PSU is the current issue, though. But you can easily replace it and have the same issues with the new one on the same board...
    That's what happens when a board doesn't have an auxiliary power connector (usually Molex) for PCI-E.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

the 480 pull more than the 75W per slot limmit on the pci-e standard so u need an over engineered board or added power connectors (they pull all the slot power from the 24pin otherwise.) i cannot tell what board u have but the evga power boost connector should help http://www.evga.com/products/moreInf...0Hardware&sw=4

or your psu was not enough as zalbard said, u have a 6 rail, so u most likely broke the OCP since it looks like u have 20A on the 24pin so thats 240W and may have topped that.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 06-01-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

hmm okay my PSU has x6 12v rails at 20A each, my psu is one of the higher end PSU's so i dont think that is the problem. i have the ASUS P6T v1 and it does not have an auxiliary power connection. which is the problem i think

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    I would RMA both of them. You're lucky you haven't fried your rig.
    I'm guessing your PSU is the current issue, though. But you can easily replace it and have the same issues with the new one on the same board...
    That's what happens when a board doesn't have an auxiliary power connector (usually Molex) for PCI-E.
    This, I have 4 high end cards in my rig and i haven't burnt my 24 pin connector (original P6t7 without extra molex connector).

Xtreme Addict
    Melting pins is caused by bad connections. Trust me, the small traces on the board are not anywhere near the current carrying capability that the wire has. But, when you have a CONNECTION, the high resistance caused by two dissimilar metal planes of a bad connection generates heat.

It is caused by current. Its just that the weakest point is where the highest resistance connection was and that was at the connector. I guess what I am saying is that we may be entering an age where we may have to, just like when you change your cars spark plugs, use a conductive gell to ensure a rock solid connection that cannot corode.
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 06-01-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

I am Xtreme
    i think you just have a crappy PSU, i think your board is fine, either way id buy a new PSU then test it in your board and if this crap happens again RMA the board.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little_scrapper View Post
    Melting pins is caused by bad connections. Trust me, the small traces on the board are not anywhere near the current carrying capability that the wire has. But, when you have a CONNECTION, the high resistance caused by two dissimilar metal planes of a bad connection generates heat.

It is caused by current. Its just that the weakest point is where the highest resistance connection was and that was at the connector. I guess what I am saying is that we may be entering an age where we may have to, just like when you change your cars spark plugs, use a conductive gell to ensure a rock solid connection that cannot corode.
    +1 had it happen 2 times in the past was just a poor connection psu is still in use today, just check rails with a multimeter.
    Gigagyte Z68X-UD3P
    i7 2600k@4.6/1.35v
    GSkill Rippers 2133
    MSI 7870@1275/1450
    Antec Kuhler 920

This is actually a well known problem with SLI and early motherboards. The fact that it is actually a CPU feeding connector would rather indicate a connection problem (poor contact) but if you had the problem only after you implemented SLI, chances are, the motherboard was trying to pull more than the connector was rated for to feed the video card. This is the reason why many recent motherboards include a separate connection for the PCI-Express slots and also why eVGA released their Powerboost gadget. You should look into it.

Dave's Mentor!
    i seen that on the p6t7 supercomputer and tri-sli

you gpus just suckin too much power from pci-e slot
    and possibly your psu not givin enough juice from 6-8 pins

maximus IV extreme gtx580
    gigabut p67-ud7
    p67 sabertooth
    2500k+2600k
    antec 1200watt
    EVGA classified 760
    920 Batch# 3849B018 4.985ghz@1.52v gtx285 ftw sli
    OCZ3RPR1866LV6GK hypers
    dfi ut p35 rampage extreme
    gigabut p35c-ds3r bios suks
    gigabut x38-d6q dead thank god
    ballistix 8500 1240mhz@2.02v

Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    i think you just have a crappy PSU, i think your board is fine, either way id buy a new PSU then test it in your board and if this crap happens again RMA the board.
    i can assure you that my psu is NOT crappy its one of the msot high end PSU here in europe, you havent heard of this as its not sold in the US. i payed £200 for this psu. and its 92% efficient. so its not crappy

Quote Originally Posted by xivlia View Post
    i can assure you that my psu is NOT crappy its one of the msot high end PSU here in europe, you havent heard of this as its not sold in the US. i payed £200 for this psu. and its 92% efficient. so its not crappy
    It could be broken though, which would cause it to become crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ TRICHEESE View Post
    It could be broken though, which would cause it to become crappy.
    Well that's true, fair enough. How can I tell that this is what's wrong?

Or could it just be a loose connection ? I've cleaned the burnt out connection on the motherboard and stripped the melted plug (so the metal connector is exposed). Now it fits better and the pc has been on overnight with no problems, yet.

Also, there is a hissing sounds. I think its coming from the psu but can't tell exaclty. Could this a capacitor leak ? Is this a major problem ?

Xtreme Member
    what PSU is it ? if it broke OCP it should shutdown to prevent damage, no ?

I have run sli on 295's, 480's and 580's off my Fractal 1kW PSU and never used the extra molex connector on the motherboard, and I've been totally fine

Quote Originally Posted by Olly_K View Post
    what PSU is it ? if it broke OCP it should shutdown to prevent damage, no ?

I have run sli on 295's, 480's and 580's off my Fractal 1kW PSU and never used the extra molex connector on the motherboard, and I've been totally fine
    It's a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 1000w. In the manual it says there is kinds of protection: over current, over voltage, etc.. I don't anything is damaged other than the socket on the mobo and possibly the psu itself.

I think you may need to split the load around the rails more

Xtreme Member
    interesting, I had that exact PSU before and had a few problems with it, it would shutdown the entire system when I loaded the first level of crysis. Changed to the fractal and had no such problems. I would try another PSU and take it from there

Quote Originally Posted by TJ TRICHEESE View Post
    I think you may need to split the load around the rails more
    I'm not sure about that. My psu has 6 12v rails each capable of 20A. The gfx cards each had their own rail. So this kinda seems unlikely to be the problem.

Xtreme Member
    If you have a meter you could try to measure the resistance between pins 10 & 11 (with power disconnected and 24pin connector disconnected) on both the PSU side and MB side to see if pin 10 is open circuit or high resistance. If so, this could lead to one pin taking all the load instead of it being shared between the two as designed. Just a thought.

I did try to make a drawing but gave up so hope this helps, MB side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mb.png 
Views:	655 
Size:	986 Bytes 
ID:	114828  
    Last edited by some_one; 06-02-2011 at 05:48 AM.

tbh 20A per rail isnt much, only 240w of power, which is just enough to power the 480's PCI-E, my Antec is well over-engineered at 48A per rail, i think that the loading is your problem, 20A just isnt enough

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Take some tweezers and try squeezing the motherboard connector on the PSU. It's a square receptacle and looks something like [].

On some of my older PSUs, it's gotten so loose that I could reboot the PC by tapping on the case. Tighten this up and it should help...
    i7 3770k - p8z77-v pro - 4x4gb - gtx680 - vertex 4 256gb - ax750
    i5 3570k - z77-pro3 - 2x4gb - arc-1231ml - 12x2tb wdgp r6 - cx400
    heatware

Xtreme Member
    Huh, I ran 3xGTX580s on P6T6 WS Revo with 950 W Corsair PSU for some time...nothing like this happened! The P6T6 does not have an extra molex connector on board. Now running them in R3E in fear of this though... and AX1200.
    Core i7 Extreme 4960X @ 4.5 GHz, Asus Rampage IV Black Edition, 32 GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-1866 MHz, GTX 780 3-way SLI, Corsair AX1200, Corsair 700D, Corsair H100i, Corsair Force GT 180GB, Windows 8 Pro, Asus VG278HR

Core i7 Extreme 990X @ 4.4 GHz, Asus Rampage III Black Edition, 12 GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-1866 MHz, EVGA GTX 580 "Black Ops" SLI, Corsair AX1200, Corsair 650D, Corsar H100, Samsung 830 256GB, Asus ROG Thunderbolt, Windows 7 Pro

Xtreme Addict
    You ran 3 580's fine on a 950W Corsair? What was your CPU clocked at?
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Xtreme Member
    I ran them to troubleshoot while waiting for my other parts to arrive...my CPU was clocked at 4.2 I think, I experienced shutdown in Furmark.. after that I didn't do more Furmark..
    Core i7 Extreme 4960X @ 4.5 GHz, Asus Rampage IV Black Edition, 32 GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-1866 MHz, GTX 780 3-way SLI, Corsair AX1200, Corsair 700D, Corsair H100i, Corsair Force GT 180GB, Windows 8 Pro, Asus VG278HR

Core i7 Extreme 990X @ 4.4 GHz, Asus Rampage III Black Edition, 12 GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-1866 MHz, EVGA GTX 580 "Black Ops" SLI, Corsair AX1200, Corsair 650D, Corsar H100, Samsung 830 256GB, Asus ROG Thunderbolt, Windows 7 Pro

Xtreme Addict
    I see. The Furmark information is useful, though I'm surprised OCP didn't kick in? Did you unlock with Rivatuner, or did PC shut down without the unlock?

I may have bitten off more than I could chew in promising to buy a pair of 580s, but I've already got one so that puts me in a pickle as I've only got a Corsair HX1000W but wouldn't sell off one of the cards if I already had them...

-

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast