Page 205 of 220 FirstFirst ... 105155195202203204205206207208215 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,125 of 5495

Thread: SSD Write Endurance 25nm Vs 34nm

  1. #5101
    nster
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
    Scroll up this page to Post #5095.

    Samsung 830 256MB with 3.5PiB of writes... so far. That should do the trick.
    They are about $200US at Newegg. They have been on sale for under $200.
    I did see that, it looks awesome In Canada this SSD is rare, I did find it at 200$ + S/H and tax so 240$. So this is the best bang/$ for extreme longevity? I know M4s are dirt cheap I see the 64GB one doing well, I've seen the 512GB around 350$ etc. Out of curiosity how do the 128/256/512 M4s do?

  2. #5102
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    609
    Here are todays update:

    m4
    1413.8236 TiB
    5857 hours
    Avg speed 74.53 MiB/s.
    AD 62 to 59
    P/E 24284.
    C3 4647
    CE 58
    MD5 OK.
    Reallocated sectors : 00


    Intel X25-M G1 80GB
    866.00 TiB
    25143 hours
    Reallocated sectors : 74 to 107
    Available Reserved space: 2 to 0
    MWI= 38
    MD5 =OK
    25.14 MiB/s on avg


    Intel X25-E 64GB
    741.04 TiB
    2324-30=2294 hours
    Reallocated sectors : 42 to 48
    Available Reserved space: 98
    MWI= 95
    MD5 =OK
    91.46 MiB/s on avg


    Mtron Pro 7025 32GB
    Paused until new firmware is updated.

    0% spare area.... What is next? I'll be traveling the next 48h so I'll try to keep an eye out for the G1 but I can't make any promises.
    1: AMD FX-8150-Sabertooth 990FX-8GB Corsair XMS3-C300 256GB-Gainward GTX 570-HX-750
    2: Phenom II X6 1100T-Asus M4A89TD Pro/usb3-8GB Corsair Dominator-Gainward GTX 460SE/-X25-V 40GB-(Crucial m4 64GB /Intel X25-M G1 80GB/X25-E 64GB/Mtron 7025/Vertex 1 donated to endurance testing)
    3: Asus U31JG - X25-M G2 160GB

  3. #5103
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by nster View Post
    I did see that, it looks awesome In Canada this SSD is rare, I did find it at 200$ + S/H and tax so 240$. So this is the best bang/$ for extreme longevity? I know M4s are dirt cheap I see the 64GB one doing well, I've seen the 512GB around 350$ etc. Out of curiosity how do the 128/256/512 M4s do?
    Buy here:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eries_SSD.html
    ---------------------------------
    Cooler Master HAF912
    Kingston Twister bearing 120mm fans
    Sunbeam Rheosmart, fans controlled with Speedfan
    Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, modded BIOS OROM 11.6
    2500K @ 4.5 GHz
    OCZ Vendetta 2
    Visionteck HD7850
    4 x 4GB Gskill 1600MHz 1.5V
    1680GB of SSD: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB, Sandisk Extreme 480GB, 2 x Mushkin Chronos 480GB RAID0
    LG 10x Blu-ray burner and Lite-On DVD burner

  4. #5104
    SSDabuser
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Rocket City
    Posts
    1,433
    Samsung 830 256GB Day 149

    (GiB) 3,718,760
    (TiB) 3,631
    (PiB) 3.57


    (Avg) 296.38 MB/s

    (B1) Wear Leveling Count: 16,101

    (B6) Erase Fail Count: 9
    (05) Reallocated Sectors: 36864
    (POH) 3675


    -------------------

  5. #5105
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    467
    Sandisk Extreme G25 - 120gb - Day 76

    Drive hours: 1758
    ASU GiB written: 759,116.77 GiB (741.33 TiB)
    Avg MB/s: 121.47 MB/s (66.37 hours)
    MD5: OK

    Host GB written (F1): 764,290 GiB (746.38 TiB)
    NAND writes (E9): 570,624 GiB (557.25 TiB)

    Retired Block Count (05): 4 raw
    Failure count (AB, AC): 1 program, 1 erase
    Raw Error Rate (01): 112 normalized
    Media Wearout Indicator (E7): 10 normalized
    Wear Range Delta (B1): 4 raw
    Reported Uncorrectable Errors (BB): 0 raw

    Speed a bit low because I was gaming on the HTPC yesterday. It has slowly been recovering.

  6. #5106
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    159
    ok I am not doing the endurance test but thought I would post 2 things here that stand out on my 830.

    it has crc errors, I noticed christopher's has 0 even after all his endurance testing. mine has a raw value of 82.
    also I have a non 0 value for POR recovery count which is D.

    Seems ssd life pro cant predict life left due to missing values.

  7. #5107
    SSDabuser
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Rocket City
    Posts
    1,433
    My 830's CRC Error count is actually 2. It's actually a SATA error count. Mine increased when another drive I was testing died.

  8. #5108
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    467
    I've caused my Vertex 4 to completely lockup (but not kill it, secure erase saves it) via using ASU over a couple of days:

    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...l=1#post750877

    The drive not only slowed down while performing a full surface wipe, but it also locked the drive up, indicating some kind of resource leak in the OCZ firmware that isn't cleaned up during heavy writes. If OCZ fix this, I will continue endurance testing, but until then, the V4 is suspended.

  9. #5109
    the jedi master
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Manchester uk/Sunnyvale CA
    Posts
    3,885
    So because your drive showed this behaviour we have a FW issue?

    1 drive with this behaviour means 1million are bad? No one else has complained about this...just you

    if you used the drive normally as an end user does did it show an issue?
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe


    Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

  10. #5110
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    225
    If the drive needed a secure erase, I guess all the data was lost. And when data is lost, the drive is called unreliable. If indeed it is a firmware bug, then yes, 1 million SSDs are bad until the bug is fixed.

  11. #5111
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    So because your drive showed this behaviour we have a FW issue?

    1 drive with this behaviour means 1million are bad? No one else has complained about this...just you

    if you used the drive normally as an end user does did it show an issue?
    Unless my drive is faulty, you do have a firmware issue, whether you want to believe it or not, and whether you fix it or not. I should not be able to be able to induce a complete lockup in an SSD no matter what sequence and timing of LBA writes I perform. I gave the drive ample time to recover before I ran the final write pass that locked up, so this issue is accumulative and not self correcting. Since you haven't said that you cannot reproduce my results I'll assume it is not just my drive.

    And, I did not say the drives were bad, I said the drive had a issue and I was hitting it and hence I was suspending my endurance test on it. Do not put words in my mouth.

    As for low write load desktop end users, sure, of course they won't notice this issue any time soon. Firmware 1.5 has only been out a couple of months. However, this kind of accelerated stress testing can show what a user will see in months/years of use.

    Stress testing like what I did should really be part of your standard firmware testing. Don't peddle crap about usage models to cover for not running the hard yards in validation.

  12. #5112
    the jedi master
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Manchester uk/Sunnyvale CA
    Posts
    3,885
    request an RMA...

    I have run a 256GiB Vtx4 on 1.5 continually for days/weeks stress testing 100% of the drive, it got HOT, it kept going and its now sat in my macbook pro.

    Vtx4's can run warm, you may have just heated that drive up and it took a dump...

    Seriously though, 1 guy with an issue making it sound like the whole FW is broken...you really do need to see the big picture, I ONLY act and report issues when I see there is an issue...if we all jumped when 1 guy reports his drive took a dump you would never get beta FW never mind final

    I will say this 1 last time...the VTX4 is designed to deliver fast writes BUT you have to let the drive FW work as intended, this means there is a possibility to push the drive outside of how it was designed to work....BUT end users who just use the drives never do this. In most cases the drive will just crawl...in your case something else happened but its never happened to me or any of the beta testers and not at HQ where we have been testing Vtx4 continually for months now continually.

    We do NOT have a FW issue...you just think we do, if we did I would have a forum full of people with the same exact issue...and I don't, and neither does inhouse support...please see there is a massive machine watching and they jump ONLY when there is something to jump for.

    If you want an RMA please PM Ryder on the ocz forum....and please stop wearing out your drive needlessly, we do not warrant nand burn remember, no one does
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe


    Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

  13. #5113
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    225
    Some off topic: I am working as a software developer and I believe I have heard the "it's client fault" story tens, maybe hundreds of times and mostly from my boss, even when the problems were real.
    Now Tony, you said something about "heat" and "dump". Are there any heat related issues with Vertex 4 series that we should know? Is it less tolerant to heat compared to Vertex 2 & 3? If yes, then does it have any heat protection (speed throttle, etc) ? Or any particular scenarios when it takes a dump?

    I am watching with high interest the Vertex 4 endurance, however now it seems totally disappointing compared to Samsung 830.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

    I have run a 256GiB Vtx4 on 1.5 continually for days/weeks stress testing 100% of the drive, it got HOT, it kept going and its now sat in my macbook pro.

    Vtx4's can run warm, you may have just heated that drive up and it took a dump...

    Seriously though, 1 guy with an issue making it sound like the whole FW is broken...you really do need to see the big picture, I ONLY act and report issues when I see there is an issue...if we all jumped when 1 guy reports his drive took a dump you would never get beta FW never mind final

    I will say this 1 last time...the VTX4 is designed to deliver fast writes BUT you have to let the drive FW work as intended, this means there is a possibility to push the drive outside of how it was designed to work....BUT end users who just use the drives never do this. In most cases the drive will just crawl...in your case something else happened but its never happened to me or any of the beta testers and not at HQ where we have been testing Vtx4 continually for months now continually.

    We do NOT have a FW issue...you just think we do, if we did I would have a forum full of people with the same exact issue...and I don't, and neither does inhouse support...please see there is a massive machine watching and they jump ONLY when there is something to jump for.

  14. #5114
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    request an RMA...
    Fair enough, if you think it is an individual drive issue, I'll request an RMA (or buy a new drive, I'm impatient and the V4 keeps dropping in price)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I have run a 256GiB Vtx4 on 1.5 continually for days/weeks stress testing 100% of the drive, it got HOT, it kept going and its now sat in my macbook pro.

    Vtx4's can run warm, you may have just heated that drive up and it took a dump...
    I doubt it, winter here and ambient temps don't get beyond 20C. There would be reports all over the place if the vertex 4 was overheating. Also don't forget that i'm testing a 128gig drive, vs the 256gig drive in your system which behaved differently.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Seriously though, 1 guy with an issue making it sound like the whole FW is broken...you really do need to see the big picture, I ONLY act and report issues when I see there is an issue...if we all jumped when 1 guy reports his drive took a dump you would never get beta FW never mind final

    I will say this 1 last time...the VTX4 is designed to deliver fast writes BUT you have to let the drive FW work as intended, this means there is a possibility to push the drive outside of how it was designed to work....BUT end users who just use the drives never do this. In most cases the drive will just crawl...in your case something else happened but its never happened to me or any of the beta testers and not at HQ where we have been testing Vtx4 continually for months now continually.

    We do NOT have a FW issue...you just think we do, if we did I would have a forum full of people with the same exact issue...and I don't, and neither does inhouse support...please see there is a massive machine watching and they jump ONLY when there is something to jump for.
    Never said the entire firmware was broken, but I do question how strenuous your firmware testing has been if this been missed. And I will freely take it all back if it does indeed prove to be an individual drive problem. I do feel that it is a firmware problem, but the world is not perfect and these things happen, and I have been wrong in the past

    Besides, don't take my critisims too harshly ... I do like the vertex 4 and it is an interesting drive. If I had really hated it, I would never have bought a second drive after killing the first

    If you want an RMA please PM Ryder on the ocz forum....and please stop wearing out your drive needlessly, we do not warrant nand burn remember, no one does
    But that is the whole point of this exercise

    Besides, I have never asked for a RMA on a drive with worn out NAND. However I did appreciate being offered a possible RMA on the previous drive I tested and do feel that the RMA processes of OCZ are among the smoothest.

  15. #5115
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    467
    Sandisk Extreme G25 - 120gb - Day 79

    Drive hours: 1833
    ASU GiB written: 790,032.42 GiB (771.52 TiB)
    Avg MB/s: 127.10 MB/s (68.36 hours)
    MD5: OK

    Host GB written (F1): 795,359 GiB (776.72 TiB)
    NAND writes (E9): 593,839 GiB (579.92 TiB)

    Retired Block Count (05): 4 raw
    Failure count (AB, AC): 1 program, 1 erase
    Raw Error Rate (01): 112 normalized
    Media Wearout Indicator (E7): 10 normalized
    Wear Range Delta (B1): 3 raw
    Reported Uncorrectable Errors (BB): 0 raw

  16. #5116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by canthearu View Post
    as for low write load desktop end users, sure, of course they won't notice this issue any time soon. Firmware 1.5 has only been out a couple of months. However, this kind of accelerated stress testing can show what a user will see in months/years of use.

    Stress testing like what i did should really be part of your standard firmware testing. Don't peddle crap about usage models to cover for not running the hard yards in validation.
    qft

  17. #5117
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CA Bay Area
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    request an RMA...

    I have run a 256GiB Vtx4 on 1.5 continually for days/weeks stress testing 100% of the drive, it got HOT, it kept going and its now sat in my macbook pro.

    Vtx4's can run warm, you may have just heated that drive up and it took a dump...

    Seriously though, 1 guy with an issue making it sound like the whole FW is broken...you really do need to see the big picture, I ONLY act and report issues when I see there is an issue...if we all jumped when 1 guy reports his drive took a dump you would never get beta FW never mind final

    I will say this 1 last time...the VTX4 is designed to deliver fast writes BUT you have to let the drive FW work as intended, this means there is a possibility to push the drive outside of how it was designed to work....BUT end users who just use the drives never do this. In most cases the drive will just crawl...in your case something else happened but its never happened to me or any of the beta testers and not at HQ where we have been testing Vtx4 continually for months now continually.

    We do NOT have a FW issue...you just think we do, if we did I would have a forum full of people with the same exact issue...and I don't, and neither does inhouse support...please see there is a massive machine watching and they jump ONLY when there is something to jump for.

    If you want an RMA please PM Ryder on the ocz forum....and please stop wearing out your drive needlessly, we do not warrant nand burn remember, no one does
    Simmer down, Tony.

  18. #5118
    SSDabuser
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Rocket City
    Posts
    1,433
    Hmmm.

  19. #5119
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

    ......its never happened to me or any of the beta testers and not at HQ where we have been testing Vtx4 continually for months now continually.
    So if I follow the procedure that canthearu identifies in his post over @ OCZ you are sure I will not see the same thing? Care for a bet before I start?

  20. #5120
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    467
    Sandisk Extreme G25 - 120gb - Day 83

    Drive hours: 1925
    ASU GiB written: 821,335.01 GiB (802.09 TiB)
    Avg MB/s: 124.95 MB/s (23.31 hours)
    MD5: OK

    Host GB written (F1): 826,816 GiB (807.44 TiB)
    NAND writes (E9): 617,345 GiB (602.88 TiB)

    Retired Block Count (05): 4 raw
    Failure count (AB, AC): 1 program, 1 erase
    Raw Error Rate (01): 110 normalized
    Media Wearout Indicator (E7): 10 normalized
    Wear Range Delta (B1): 4 raw
    Reported Uncorrectable Errors (BB): 0 raw

    Steady as it goes for the sandisk extreme.

    day83 sandisk smart.PNG

  21. #5121
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Hague, Netherlands
    Posts
    460
    I wonder if the Kingston E100 is as reliable as they claim: http://www.techpowerup.com/171171/Ki...prise-SSD.html .
    Weird that they would only give it a 3 year warranty with these claims...

    3770K 4.7Ghz 1.32v / ASUS P8Z77-V PRO / 8GB DDR3 1866 9-9-9-27 /ASUS HD7970 1025MHz / Antec NeoHE 550 / Samsung 830 256GB Crunching
    Cooled by PA120.3, EK-HF, D-tek Fuzion GFX, DDC3.1 XSPC res/top

    i5 2400 Stock / ASUS P8P67 LE / 4GB DDR3 1600 / Seasonic S12II 430W / Intel G2 40GB Crunching

    2600K 4.6Ghz 1.34v / ASUS P8Z68-V PRO / 8GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 / Antec 430W / Intel G2 80GB Crunching

    W3520 4.0Ghz 1.19v / Rampage II Gene / 6GB Kinston Value 1333 / 9800GT / Corsair TX650 / Antec mini P180 / Intel G2 160GB Crunching

    Intel G860 Stock / Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H-B3 / 4GB DDR3 1333 / Antec Earthwatts green 380W / Crucial M4 64GB Crunching

    E6600 3.2Ghz 1.36v - P5B Deluxe / i7 930 4.0Ghz 1.29v - ASUS P6X58D-E / Q9450 3.6Ghz 1.28v - Rampage Formula Retired

  22. #5122
    SSDabuser
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Rocket City
    Posts
    1,433
    Samsung 830 256GB Day 157

    (GiB) 3,942,364
    (TiB) 3,849
    (PiB) 3.78


    (Avg) 297.58 MB/s over the past 1200 hours

    (B1) Wear Leveling Count: 17,063

    (B6) Erase Fail Count: 9
    (05) Reallocated Sectors: 36864
    (POH) 3887


    -------------------

    I've been out of town, so I've haven't had the chance to post any updates lately, but TBH not much has happened... just a lot more writes. We're getting close to the 4 million GiB mark though.
    Last edited by Christopher; 08-27-2012 at 03:49 PM.

  23. #5123
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CA Bay Area
    Posts
    913
    'Twill be a momentous occasion. But then again, the M4 is at almost 1.5 PiB.

  24. #5124
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    60
    You didn't know but this Samsung is in fact a demigod, it can throw the data you send to him to the heavens so he's not hurt :P
    ---------------------------------
    Cooler Master HAF912
    Kingston Twister bearing 120mm fans
    Sunbeam Rheosmart, fans controlled with Speedfan
    Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, modded BIOS OROM 11.6
    2500K @ 4.5 GHz
    OCZ Vendetta 2
    Visionteck HD7850
    4 x 4GB Gskill 1600MHz 1.5V
    1680GB of SSD: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB, Sandisk Extreme 480GB, 2 x Mushkin Chronos 480GB RAID0
    LG 10x Blu-ray burner and Lite-On DVD burner

  25. #5125
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Grande Prairie, AB, CAN
    Posts
    6,127
    Haven't checked on this thread in a long while. That M4 is just insane, 1.5BB on a 64GB drive is just ridiculous.

Page 205 of 220 FirstFirst ... 105155195202203204205206207208215 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •