Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement EK Res Tube?

Xtreme Member

Replacement EK Res Tube?

I'm looking for a replacement tube for my EK Res 250 V2, it seems this one has a small crack along the bottom of it running up the side which is causing the water to drip out very slowly when the case is moved.

I know the EK store has it and Aquatuning as well, but I was hoping to stay stateside and didn't notice one on the few sites I frequent. Does anyone have a link to one?
    Watercooled Murdermod Silverstone TJ07
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz
    eVGA 480 GTX SLI
    8.5TB (1x Seagate 1TB 7200.12, 2x Hitachi 3TB, 1x Seagate 1.5TB 7200.11)
    Corsair AX1200 PSU All Custom Cables
    Westinghouse 24" 1920x1200
    Windows 7

Chasing After Diety
    »RES« series is 50mm in diameter
    »RES X2« series is 60 mm in diameter
    Due to different available tube diameters, this item is compatible only with EK-MULTIOPTION RES X2 series (NOT »RES«). Furthermore RES X2 accessories are compatible only with RES X2 reservoir series.

so i assume u have an X2 which uses a 60mm diameter.

The best thing to do is Contact PPC, and ask them if the bitspower is a possible fit:
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=26867

This MIGHT work... i am not 100% sure either:
    http://www.koolance.com/water-coolin...product_id=938
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Technician
    Bitspower (z-multi) threads are finer unfortunately. Koolance 60's use a coarser thread, though i'm by no means saying it'll fit.

Xtreme Member
    Same thing just happened to me last month on my EK 400 v2.

I was unable to locate just a tube stateside so I had to buy a whole new res.

Also I have to note that the multi-option holes on the new res didnt line up the same way as the 2 old units i was using. Fortunately, I just replaced the tube and used the old top/bottom.

Here's a pic of my system showing why the location of the holes is vital.

Hearing that this has happened to another member makes me doubt the quality of these reservoirs.
    motherboard - EVGA Classified e770 EK watercooled
    cpu - i7 950 @ 4.420GHz EK watercooled
    video - EVGA gtx 580 sli 950/1900/2300 EK watercooled
    memory - 3 x 4GB Mushkin Redline (7-8-7-20 1T)
    storage - Corsair Force 120GB ssd
    power supply - Corsair AX850 (MDPC-X sleeving)
    case - Danger Den Torutre Rack

Banned
    The tube is made from cheap Extruded Acrylic. Assuming that the reservoir was cleaned with acrylic safe chemicals, there is at least one other issue that will cause the tube to crack. Over tightening of the top and bottom POM Acetal can place undue stress on the tube causing a crack to radiate from the grooves. Eventually, the tube will rupture and cause catastrophic failure to your water cooling loop and computer. Unfortunately, the cheap and excessively small O-ring requires you to screw on the top and bottom very tight to prevent water from seeping out. I Know Eddy has stated that they fixed the O-ring issue, but I wonder if they really have.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matari View Post
    The tube is made from cheap Extruded Acrylic. Assuming that the reservoir was cleaned with acrylic safe chemicals, there is at least one other issue that will cause the tube to crack. Over tightening of the top and bottom POM Acetal can place undue stress on the tube causing a crack to radiate from the grooves. Eventually, the tube will rupture and cause catastrophic failure to your water cooling loop and computer. Unfortunately, the cheap and excessively small O-ring requires you to screw on the top and bottom very tight to prevent water from seeping out. I Know Eddy has stated that they fixed the O-ring issue, but I wonder if they really have.

I tighten mine just past the point that water stops leaking out from the threads.

One is still holding up fine.

Xtreme Member
    I'm not quite sure when the leak happened, but I know when I filled my loop the bottom was leaking. Very heavily. I only tightened as much as I needed to in order for there not to be a waterfall. I beleive it's leaking in more than one place as well, same as my old EK Res 150. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz
    eVGA 480 GTX SLI
    Windows 7

Banned
    Hmmm how many reservoirs do you have? two? So 50% of your reservoirs are still in working shape? 1 out of 3 of mine is still working. Thats ~33% of my reservoirs are still in working condition. It is no wonder EK has several RMAs on the X2 product.

You could always see if FrozenQ is willing to make you a tube out of polycarbonate. It would cost you bank, but I am sure he could make you one.

Chasing After Diety
    hey op, just get another res in all honestly.

people are saying its a pain in the butt, so i would follow the others advice and get a new one.

I was honestly looking at koolances to replace my eK's because there modular.

Modular that doesnt eat performance is always fun.

My old original EK res from 2007 is still just fine.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    My old original EK res from 2007 is still just fine.
    and all 4 of mine are okey too, and they been though hell and back.

But seeing how all the new res's arent as durable as the old ones,

I still push on getting a new res period.

Banned
    Are the Koolance tube reservoirs as functional in terms of anti-cyclone, bleeding, and port access as the EK X2? What is the acrylic tube made of? I did not see that on website. I just bought the RP 400 X2 for my current build. For my next build, I would like to stick to the tube reservoirs.

Chasing After Diety
    everything u would want to know and need to know is @ the koolance web site.

www.koolance.com

http://www.koolance.com/water-coolin...p?cPath=57_127

The thing about koolance is you can mix and match..
    Use a 120mm long tube.. coupler... 200mm tube = 320mm perfect for 120x3 radiators.

Banned
    The koolance tube reservoir is not as functional as the EK X2 in terms of ports and anti-cyclone. I would be willing to use the koolance tube reservoir if the tube is made from cast acrylic. I may be blind, but the site does not list the type of acrylic.

Xtreme Member
    IIRC the cracking problem is isolated to the Basic X2 reservoirs, as they have thinner walled tubes than the Advanced X2.
    Water
    Air

WC: EK Supreme HF | EK FC-6970 | 2x DDC 3.25 | EK DDC Dual V2 | EK Res X2 250 | TFC X-Changer 480

Banned
    Not true; One of my X2 advanced cracked after I was told to "tighten" it to prevent it from leaking. My fault tho, I knew better than to tighten it more.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvmc View Post
    IIRC the cracking problem is isolated to the Basic X2 reservoirs, as they have thinner walled tubes than the Advanced X2.
    I have a basic, so that makes sense to me.
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz
    eVGA 480 GTX SLI
    Windows 7

I actually have two EK res tubes cracking. The first one I can admit I might have overtightened. But when I ordered the spare tube I was making sure the same thing would not happen again so I actually screw it together pretty loose, filled it. Saw it was leaking and tightened it just a bit, noticed it still was leaking, tightened it a bit more. had the loop running a while and noticed it was leaking so I just tightened it a tiny bit more and it stopped. So I was confident it was NOT overtightened since it was just barely screwed tight enough not to leak. But In the next morning I saw a small crack, and more are coming/growing.
    I sent a mail and opened a support ticket at EK. I suspect I just had back luck...
    Last edited by Xrim; 03-30-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Spelling

Xtreme Member
    Yeah if another one cracks Im going to look at another brand.

It's too bad really because the multi-option 400 worked perfectly with my case and I plan on another torture rack build in the future.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well here it goes

Am I the only one who remembers this sh*t storm? And what was EK's testing results?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=263685
    Last edited by the finisher; 03-30-2011 at 03:46 PM.
    Donate to XS.org

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."-Thomas Paine

Banned
    It would not be in the best interest for EK to publish any results whether or not their assertion was valid or not. By now, I am sure they have an idea what the problem was and hopefully they will correct the issue in the next line of product.

I just got a reply from EK about my two cracked tubes. They have agreed to send me a new one. I'm thinking that it might be the threads on the bottom part of the res that are somewhat bad and thus forcing me to over tighten it to get it to stop leaking. I told them my theory and asked them to send a bottom part as well to rule out that possibility. So far I blame everything on bad luck since the rest of my EK things do work.
    I read the above link and I can say that I only had distilled water in the loop (and a piece of pure silver) and that the cracks appeared within 24h of putting the loop together.
    Last edited by Xrim; 03-31-2011 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Added info

-100c Club
    Quote Originally Posted by matari View Post
    It would not be in the best interest for EK to publish any results whether or not their assertion was valid or not. By now, I am sure they have an idea what the problem was and hopefully they will correct the issue in the next line of product.
    We're testing our EK RES X2 tubes for several weeks already, running the system using both flushed and non-flushed (EK factory packed) radiators. We're conducting test with four different market available water additives and we will soon add two more! Loops are exposed to direct sunlight, the radiators are ultimatively covered with paper insulation providing water temperature similiar to real life conditions (~ 32°C).

So far not a single crack has occured nor any leak appeared on the bottom of the reservoirs. We will continue with these tests for several months to come or until the first damage to the tube is done. We do not wan't jump to conclusions too soon!

Best Regards,
    Niko

Technician
    Great work man - its a really long process but stick with it .

Heat cycles may need to be taken into account though - sorry to chuck you a swerve ball there.

I do firmly believe though that this is a case of people cashing in on a couple of genuine failures to pass off user damage/error. I've cracked my fair share of acrylic and polycarb through overtightening barbs. You just need to eliminate every other possibility sadly. Of course there will be the odd incidence of failure, but there shouldnt be anywhere near the number we see across forums.

You really need to move to a twist or screw "locking collar" method to eliminate this cracking at the threads for users completely, but then youre going to add cost. Its a shame that the people who should be paying more to be protected from themselves never want to... (and that is in no way a swipe at the OP - this reply is purely in the context of Tiborrs post and the EK thread).

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by PiLsY View Post
    Great work man - its a really long process but stick with it .

Heat cycles may need to be taken into account though - sorry to chuck you a swerve ball there.

I do firmly believe though that this is a case of people cashing in on a couple of genuine failures to pass off user damage/error. I've cracked my fair share of acrylic and polycarb through overtightening barbs. You just need to eliminate every other possibility sadly. Of course there will be the odd incidence of failure, but there shouldnt be anywhere near the number we see across forums.

You really need to move to a twist or screw "locking collar" method to eliminate this cracking at the threads for users completely, but then youre going to add cost. Its a shame that the people who should be paying more to be protected from themselves never want to... (and that is in no way a swipe at the OP - this reply is purely in the context of Tiborrs post and the EK thread).
    There is 1 more factor neither you nor EK have taken into account here. As Liquid cooling has gained more and more popularity and taken that small shift closer to mainstream, it's also collected a whole bunch of what I like to call "the idiot factor". These are ppl who think they're "technically capable" but in reality, they have a problem even tying their shoes. . .don't discount it folks, it's a bigger problem than you think.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast