Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NV defective laptop suit is accepting claims

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm repairing laptops every day at work. And everytime it has an nVidia GPU, it's dead. One was repaired 5 times the last 2 years before my brand agreed to replace it. The customer was allowed to choose a laptop freely, the idiot picked another one with nVidia graphics.

Xtreme Member
    They are okay, now. Though I still try to avoid them, just in case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyshaw View Post
    They are okay, now. Though I still try to avoid them, just in case
    Exactly.

Thumbs down

Pity its in the US only, because nvidia sold lots of those bananas around the rest of the globe too. Many angry customers.

Ive seen half a dozen stuffed nvidia chipsets in laptops. Personally ive avoided nvidia since the days of their IDE driver breaking everyones data.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dairyFarmer View Post
    Pity its in the US only, because nvidia sold lots of those bananas around the rest of the globe too. Many angry customers.

Ive seen half a dozen stuffed nvidia chipsets in laptops. Personally ive avoided nvidia since the days of their IDE driver breaking everyones data.
    what!? I still have a nForce4 system handling finance info... should I change it out? It's an old AM2 setup with a SATA HDD and a Phenom 9100e in it...

Xtreme Addict
    Any chance of it extending to this side of the Atlantic, I have a friend with a faulty NV 8400GS?
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Quote Originally Posted by initialised View Post
    Any chance of it extending to this side of the Atlantic, I have a friend with a faulty NV 8400GS?
    i doubt it, it took about 4 years for the US. you could always go to small claims and use the documents from the US that showed they knowingly sold a defective part.

(i assume that most places have lower civil courts that u dont need a lawyer)
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    I have a Toshiba with a 9600M GT and whenever i game after about 5 minutes the machine will overheat and shut down. Guessing I'm left in the dry? I gave up trying to play games on it, and it still hovers around the 60-80oC mark. Gaming takes it upto 100oC :O. Hotter than my overclocked rig...
    FX8350 @ 4.0Ghz | 32GB @ DDR3-1200 4-4-4-12 | Asus 990FXA @ 1400Mhz | AMD HD5870 Eyefinity | XFX750W | 6 x 128GB Sandisk Extreme RAID0 @ Aerca 1882ix with 4GB DRAM
    eXceed TJ07 worklog/build

I am Xtreme
    what!? I still have a nForce4 system handling finance info... should I change it out? It's an old AM2 setup with a SATA HDD and a Phenom 9100e in it...
    That's a laptop issue, not desktop.
    That being said, Nvidia chipsets for desktop motherboards were also pretty poor. Just didn't suddenly die, AFAIK.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    That's a laptop issue, not desktop.
    That being said, Nvidia chipsets for desktop motherboards were also pretty poor. Just didn't suddenly die, AFAIK.
    Oh... that's okay, then Still, I've done a little research into the HematiteXL board I have, I'm gonna build a new desktop today

The issue i had was with PATA IDE on nforce3, I think they had it mostly fixed by the nforce4, but there was still a lot of talk about sata corruption on nforce4, and hard ocp covere the issue on the i680 chipset.

If you are running one, I'd recomend uninstall the IDE controller driver, and use the plain microsoft one. (its a little bit slower, but reliable and robust).

Lets not get started on the nvidia firewall and corrupt downloads....

Xtreme Member
    OK, so my Dell D630 is still under warranty (for about 50 more days). I've already had the GPU replaced twice. I know it's a walking timebomb as soon as the warranty is up. Should I file it under "replacement"?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_recon88 View Post
    OK, so my Dell D630 is still under warranty (for about 50 more days). I've already had the GPU replaced twice. I know it's a walking timebomb as soon as the warranty is up. Should I file it under "replacement"?
    Why not.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_recon88 View Post
    it has to have problems to get replaced under that
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by initialised View Post
    As said, there's no really hope for this, first: class action don't exist in EU country, so attack a company like that is really hard, long, and cost too much for a " simple person " ... now, the only luck can come from the EU commission, if they open a sue over Nvidia for this problem .. But i have see nothing about it.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dairyFarmer View Post
    The issue i had was with PATA IDE on nforce3, I think they had it mostly fixed by the nforce4, but there was still a lot of talk about sata corruption on nforce4, and hard ocp covere the issue on the i680 chipset.

If you are running one, I'd recomend uninstall the IDE controller driver, and use the plain microsoft one. (its a little bit slower, but reliable and robust).

Lets not get started on the nvidia firewall and corrupt downloads....
    Ah, thank you very much Well, I've more or less just retired the old HP Slimline after 3 (solid) years of faithful service since 2007 Some minor panic flurries here and there, but it's almost held solid, except for the cursed inability to resolve the Vista/AMD CnQ Phenom bug

Got my i7 desktop standing in for the time being, I'm unwilling to rely on MS not updating the driver, and nVidia fixing this ancient system, as my sole lifeline If there was a rep button, I'd give some!!

Xtreme Addict
    Most HP computers will be replaced with a Compaq Presario CQ50 notebook computer. The HP Pavilion Tx1xxx tablet computer will be replaced with an Asus EEE T101MT-EU17-BK computer.
    settlement

this is such BS! so i bought a dv9000 series (17" entertainment), and my laptop can only be replaced by a $350 piece of thats 3 years old????? what the flying !?!?! ...and how is that net book similar to that tablet? the tablet is still more powerful than the netbook, and it cost like $2000 at the time. i paid close to $900 dollars at the time for my laptop.....if nvidia (and the class action lawyers) does this to us, they will forever be my enemies! either give me my money back, or buy me a new 17" entertainment laptop!
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Quote Originally Posted by god_43 View Post
    settlement

this is such BS! so i bought a dv9000 series (17" entertainment), and my laptop can only be replaced by a $350 piece of thats 3 years old????? what the flying !?!?! ...and how is that net book similar to that tablet? the tablet is still more powerful than the netbook, and it cost like $2000 at the time. i paid close to $900 dollars at the time for my laptop.....if nvidia (and the class action lawyers) does this to us, they will forever be my enemies! either give me my money back, or buy me a new 17" entertainment laptop!
    they said most, supposedly u get the same screen size as u had if u had a 17" but they are all 16:9 instead of 16:10 so they will be smaller no matter what. also the q50 is still made and i dont see them giving u an older model that has the same chipset defect, im expecting an i3 or an amd with an amd chipset.

and if u have a broken laptop anything is better than a dead laptop sitting collecting dust.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    they said most, supposedly u get the same screen size as u had if u had a 17" but they are all 16:9 instead of 16:10 so they will be smaller no matter what. also the q50 is still made and i dont see them giving u an older model that has the same chipset defect, im expecting an i3 or an amd with an amd chipset.

and if u have a broken laptop anything is better than a dead laptop sitting collecting dust.
    no you would be wrong, a lot of ppl on message boards (hp message boards as well) have said that they were told that the cq50-115nr will be the model for replacement. the site lists the vague cq50, but when pressed, the class action lawyers have said that it is the 115nr. what ever claims nvidia has said - they are not following through on them. but like i said i will wait for final confirmation - its about the principal of the matter, i should not have to pay because a company decides to release defective products 3 years in a row! i payed for a high end laptop and i want one in return!
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Quote Originally Posted by god_43 View Post
    no you would be wrong, a lot of ppl on message boards (hp message boards as well) have said that they were told that the cq50-115nr will be the model for replacement. the site lists the vague cq50, but when pressed, the class action lawyers have said that it is the 115nr. what ever claims nvidia has said - they are not following through on them. but like i said i will wait for final confirmation - its about the principal of the matter, i should not have to pay because a company decides to release defective products 3 years in a row! i payed for a high end laptop and i want one in return!
    that thing is a POS and has the same chipset problem as what was sued for, if i get offered that back im going to be pissed. also i cannot even find that anyware that is not a referb and i doubt that they have enough of them or that the people running the suit would let them give u a laptop with the same problem.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 01-24-2011 at 12:58 PM.

This is real nice.

I have a HP DV9040us sitting here with a bad Nvidia GPU on the board and its not even covered in the settlement. I have had this thing fixed a few times already. It lasts about three months and then takes a dump. What a joke.

whats your product identification number it should be covered unless u bought it affter it went EOL

RG335UA is the number.

I also have a DV9010us that is on the list. I bought both laptops at the same time in january of 2007.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    total BS..
    US only, 13 million in lawyer fees but only 2 million in the 'repair fund'

Plus some of them can't be repaired propery, if they use EOL parts, they just replace it with something that will fail soon anyway
    Q9550 || DFI P45 Jr || 4x 2G generic ram || 4870X2 || Aerocool M40 case || 3TB storage

OCTeamDenmark Founder Nosfer@tu's Avatar
    This is old news, I think its about 6 months ago that website was created.

Paid about 2000 $ for a HP DV9575eo for my girl, it has had the board replaced 3 times.....

According to danish law it is stated that if repaired 2-3 times, and every time is the same flaw, the flaw is a important/main part of the product, you are entitled to a refund.

HP told me, only the 4 time
    And they dont think it is a main component of the laptop

BTW, this laptop has played games for no more than 150 hours MAX...

Quote Originally Posted by Pointhore View Post
    This is real nice.

I have a HP DV9040us sitting here with a bad Nvidia GPU on the board and its not even covered in the settlement. I have had this thing fixed a few times already. It lasts about three months and then takes a dump. What a joke.
    Same here.....

Quote Originally Posted by oohms View Post
    total BS..
    US only, 13 million in lawyer fees but only 2 million in the 'repair fund'

Plus some of them can't be repaired propery, if they use EOL parts, they just replace it with something that will fail soon anyway
    Properly what they did with the one we have
    Former owner of OCTeamDenmark.com
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast