Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSI R5850 Twin Frozr II voltage issue

Xtreme Member

MSI R5850 Twin Frozr II voltage issue

Hello everyone

I recently got this card -> http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=pro...0&prod_no=2029 which has, afaik, a uP6266 voltage regulator (same as 5870 lightning). So, why can't I get Afterburner give me >1.3 voltage options. I've tried several version (even the extremes) but the slide won't go any further... jesus, I used to had 1.35 or even 1.4 (asus doctor) on the reference cards

After some thorough googling I came across a lot of complaining, about people not be able to set > 1.150V on that card - that's not the case here. I can overvolt up to 1.3 (MMed it, too) but I'd love some more (since the controller can do it).

Any suggestions ?

Ohh, I attach the bios the card came with, beware, the card ain't reference design and the fan control is just plain daft.

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files

Xtreme Member
    Wow - if the Xs user's cant help, no one will

I am considering flashing my card with the lightning's bios to give it a try. I know it's a different card and I know there is a risk of bricking the R5850 - but even if I bricked it, that would be reversible, wouldn't it? I have a spare gpu and a second pcie so I could bring the bricked card back to life - right?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    you did the obvious? enable unofficial overclocking, and unlock voltage? my 5870's with normal MSI AB can do 1.45V
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ureui77665.png
    Email/web browsing PC
    MM Ascension case, 24/7 settings
    Classified, 980x @ 4,525Mhz, HT on 1.39V
    (3) ATI 5870's@ 1062Mhz
    G skill perfect storm RAM s 6gb, 2,176 Mhz CAS 8
    (4) intel x25m RAID 0
    CPU loop, EK supreme HF, EK mobo block, 500MM bitspower res, 2 DDC 3.25's on XSPC top, 2 XSPC RX 360's, 1 XSPC RX 480, GPU loop, EK water blocks, with nickel backs, 2 swiftech mcr 320's, 500MM bitspower res, ddc 3.25, XSPC top all with 1850 RPM gentle typhoons
    plus many other rigs.

Xtreme Member
    Yes, I did all the usual staff (.cfg+options) in AB but won't go >1.3... Trixx didn't help either. Care to share that version of AB ? It might worth a try...

Brilliant Idiot
    no tricks no special bios version, the twin frozer II needs volt mods to go over 1.3v..........

His afterburner above goes that high becasue he is using a ref 5870 card with volterra...............

This is rather simple, google the uP controler chip.

You want fb, fb = pin 6. You want an easier place to solder to so follow trace, I get 5K reading, multiply by 10 = 50k res to a solder point to ground.

EDIT pulled, incorrect mod.

My guess is if you did a vid mod you could avoid OCP and have higher voltage in software but i don't have the time to work that out atm.........
    Last edited by chew*; 12-01-2010 at 01:51 AM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't have that card, but, MSI AB has a pre-set limit of 1.3V for the 5850 twin frozr II, so I would be willing to bet that if you raised the pre-set limit it would go much higher.
    Email/web browsing PC
    MM Ascension case, 24/7 settings
    Classified, 980x @ 4,525Mhz, HT on 1.39V
    (3) ATI 5870's@ 1062Mhz
    G skill perfect storm RAM s 6gb, 2,176 Mhz CAS 8
    (4) intel x25m RAID 0
    CPU loop, EK supreme HF, EK mobo block, 500MM bitspower res, 2 DDC 3.25's on XSPC top, 2 XSPC RX 360's, 1 XSPC RX 480, GPU loop, EK water blocks, with nickel backs, 2 swiftech mcr 320's, 500MM bitspower res, ddc 3.25, XSPC top all with 1850 RPM gentle typhoons
    plus many other rigs.

Xtreme Member
    @chew

Yeap That's the controller I have - I just took a look on the card (there is a lot of dust in that case too!). So the vmod looks like a rather simple solution. But I would love to give it a try thou I2C bus / software first, as I am not convinced that 1.3 is the psychical limit of that controller. So now I am after a nice how to / tutorial on how to get those values changed. OOhhh damn the noobness

@justin.kerr

Volterra was the main reason for me choosing the reference design cards (5850) in the past. I could get up to 1.35 (official AB) and even more with (ABx) with both my sapphire and asus. But that non ref MSI is kind of a pain in the @$H. At least, it the coldest, out of the box, aircooled 5850 I owned. The vrms have no heatsinks attached on, though Half @$H job MSI, I'd say...

Thank you both, guys. Any other usefull information/tips on my i2c quest would be much appreciated. Cheers

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccaution View Post
    @chew

Yeap That's the controller I have - I just took a look on the card (there is a lot of dust in that case too!). So the vmod looks like a rather simple solution. But I would love to give it a try thou I2C bus / software first, as I am not convinced that 1.3 is the psychical limit of that controller. So now I am after a nice how to / tutorial on how to get those values changed. OOhhh damn the noobness

@justin.kerr

Volterra was the main reason for me choosing the reference design cards (5850) in the past. I could get up to 1.35 (official AB) and even more with (ABx) with both my sapphire and asus. But that non ref MSI is kind of a pain in the @$H. At least, it the coldest, out of the box, aircooled 5850 I owned. The vrms have no heatsinks attached on, though Half @$H job MSI, I'd say...

Thank you both, guys. Any other usefull information/tips on my i2c quest would be much appreciated. Cheers
    The limit it set there by MSI via the VID table, regardless of what the controller is capable of, thus why I mentioned the vid mod.........

You can see the VID arrangement by the resistors on the left side of my photo.

No matter what you are not getting over 1.3 without mods.........this picture should explain it better and if you refer to the uP chip pinouts and compare with this pic you will understand better. The resistor with red line going to it is likely your 1.3v limit........If i had to guess it needs to be moved to VID 7 and vid 7 moved to vid 5 also the vid 5 needs to be moved to right, vid 7 needs to be moved left. ( which btw guessing is not wise so don't do it as I haven't verified it )

Last edited by chew*; 11-30-2010 at 11:47 AM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    So, I can either do a classic vmod with an appropriate variable resistance between fb and ground or do a vid mod, which I am not very sure what it is

Does VIDmod involve "tricking" the controller through the vid pins (soldering something to those pins) or it's just some bios edit in the appropriate values. That VID table is stored in bios, right? The software, tells though the i2c bus what VID mode to be used, or did I mixed up everything?

Lot of questions, I know. I can't help it

edit: Very helpful edit chew* for president! Where do I sign?
    Last edited by Ccaution; 11-30-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Brilliant Idiot
    The VID is dictated by that res with red line to it.

Even though controller can support more.

Changing that arrangement that is boxed in purple in my pic will change the 2d and 3d vid.

Nothing you do in bios is going to change this as it's all "fixed" via hardware atm.

However doing the VID mod + FB will likely give you some extra comfort zone with OCP versus FB only.

Also I may have it backwards as far as which vid is 3d voltage.......when i get more time i will look into it as I need to mod one of mine up.
    Last edited by chew*; 11-30-2010 at 12:06 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    Thank you chew*, I'll might do some experiments myself, at least with the FB. Keep me updated. My card scales quite nicely above 1.2V so I thing I could do with some more headroom - since it's running pretty cool. Keep up the good work mate

Hello everyone
    After some thorough googling I came across a lot of complaining, about people not be able to set > 1.150V on that card - that's not the case here. I can overvolt up to 1.3 (MMed it, too) but I'd love some more (since the controller can do it).

Any suggestions ?
    Aaaah that would be me ''one of that people''.

The thing whit my twin frozr is that it chrashes above 1.14volt (regardless the clockspeed even at stock) when running any 3d ap, game, movie, bench.

I can set it higher even at 1.3 but only in 2d mode, again as soon as i start up furmark etc. 3d than bang crashes again.

whit crash i meen; that i'll get a black screen and the fans of the twin frozr start running at fullspeed, the rest mobo, cpu than still runs. than i have to hard reboot to get it running propperly again.

So i'm very happy that some one is capable enough to hard mod the card.

ceers
    • Gigabyte P67A-UD7
    • 2x2GB Elpida Hypers 2000C8
    • Sapphire 6950CFX to 6970CFX
    • Supreme HF + MCP355 + XSPC RX240
    • Corsair HX750

Xtreme Member
    My attached(#1) bios might help - it's the original one, so I don't see how the flashing could go wrong - give it a shot

Brilliant Idiot
    Pulled the first mod becasue I was tired when I measured apparently.......

Here is the corrected measurements, read points and mods. There are a couple more mods also, working them out.

vddci for mem controller is last I guess.
    Last edited by chew*; 12-01-2010 at 02:40 AM.
    heatware chew*

My attached(#1) bios might help - it's the original one, so I don't see how the flashing could go wrong - give it a shot
    well that dident workout to wel. same problem again i can set it at 1.3 in afterburner but when launging any 3d ap it wil crashs again.

But your bios gives me another problem the fancontrol is stuck at 55% speed.
    And CCC nore AB can enable the auto option.

So no i need my old bios back! because the problem is that i was in to mutsh of a rush to make backup

So if someone would be so kind to post me this version VER012.019.000.007.035234 note; the same version is found in the techpowerup database But!!! that's the refference design one an that wil not work, alreddy tried that one, so pleas if somebody could help me get my of bios back i would appreciate it very mutsh.

you might be gessing what bad englische man!!! wel its my 3rd language
    • Gigabyte P67A-UD7
    • 2x2GB Elpida Hypers 2000C8
    • Sapphire 6950CFX to 6970CFX
    • Supreme HF + MCP355 + XSPC RX240
    • Corsair HX750

Xtreme Member
    @chew
    Man, you serve quality I think I'll skip vmem since I can do 1300 with no mod at all, but it's nice to have all the mods in a photo. Sweet

@jbkappirossi
    Yeap - the fan plan is hideous, I mentioned that above the attachment. I think that 55% is the default lower setting, but I can override it through trixx or AB. Give trixx a shot - and maybe we should go on MSI's forums to check for the newest bios. I only have the one I've already posted here...

Xtreme Member
    Hmm I came across the attached pdf - so my hynix are 1250MHz rated @ 1.5V. So no wonder I can do 1375 (at least) since the board actually overvolts them a bit by default. Still, my core doesn't seem that great... :/

I also found that voltage unlocker for the AB - I now can go up to 1.4 but the card locks up (full fan speed and restart needed) @ GHz...

Should I put a heatsink on those vrms? Would that help? Have anyone actually measure the temps that those 4943N running @ load?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Brilliant Idiot
    Hmm I came across the attached pdf - so my hynix are 1250MHz rated @ 1.5V. So no wonder I can do 1375 (at least) since the board actually overvolts them a bit by default. Still, my core doesn't seem that great... :/

I also found that voltage unlocker for the AB - I now can go up to 1.4 but the card locks up (full fan speed and restart needed) @ GHz...

Should I put a heatsink on those vrms? Would that help? Have anyone actually measure the temps that those 4943N running @ load?
    Might not hurt, if you noticed the twin frozer is a stripped down cyclone, the PCB is identical but its missing 1 phase, 4 mosfets, 3 caps and 1 choke less than cyclone model.

It might trigger OCP sooner, If you did OCP mod used 50K vr and made the resistance half of default that may help.

Where are you dumping that voltage unlocker file?

I'm not seeing any change in afterburner 2.0 extreme.
    Last edited by chew*; 12-05-2010 at 05:49 AM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    Yeap, that lock up with the fans going 100%, no signal and restart required must be an OCP... I'm waiting for a new soldering tip and I'll probably try that OCP mod. Until then I am updating my $hitlist and MSI is going up, since their guys don't answer my question in their support page

Making a mediocre product is bad, but ignoring the support request is in a different league

( Using the normal afterburner 2.0.0 - you put the files in the installation folder and you run as administrator the MSIAfterburnerVoltUnlock.exe )

Brilliant Idiot
    Yeap, that lock up with the fans going 100%, no signal and restart required must be an OCP... I'm waiting for a new soldering tip and I'll probably try that OCP mod. Until then I am updating my $hitlist and MSI is going up, since their guys don't answer my question in their support page

Making a mediocre product is bad, but ignoring the support request is in a different league

( Using the normal afterburner 2.0.0 - you put the files in the installation folder and you run as administrator the MSIAfterburnerVoltUnlock.exe )
    K will try that.

Btw technically I am MSI support in a round about way, just not on MSI's site
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Btw technically I am MSI support in a round about way, just not on MSI's site
    Woow - I didn't mean to be harsh. You are a perfect gentleman and very helpful indeed I was referring to the ocss.msi.com.tw people before. I hope I didn't offend anyone here with my big mouth Cheers

Brilliant Idiot
    Woow - I didn't mean to be harsh. You are a perfect gentleman and very helpful indeed I was referring to the ocss.msi.com.tw people before. I hope I didn't offend anyone here with my big mouth Cheers
    Yah np.

I'm in vista atm. That file is 32KB, If i rename it to exe and run as admin a command prompt just pops up blank.

Original Exe is much larger.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    Nothing to rename - it's a zip archive.

http://uploaded.to/file/viz3vx

I uploaded the zip file here again - in case something is wrong with the attachment host in xs. Unzip the archive, you should get 3 files in it. Doublechecked @ 7 x64

edit: Afterburner 2.1.0 b2 works with the unlocker as well - just checked!
    Last edited by Ccaution; 12-05-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Brilliant Idiot
    Nothing to rename - it's a zip archive.

http://uploaded.to/file/viz3vx

I uploaded the zip file here again - in case something is wrong with the attachment host in xs. Unzip the archive, you should get 3 files in it. Doublechecked @ 7 x64

edit: Afterburner 2.1.0 b2 works with the unlocker as well - just checked!
    Ok got my curiosity peaked, what clocks are you hitting currently?

I just tried 1.40 and didn't gain a thing.......however....I just pulled card apart added some heatsinks on VRM and repasted and now we are in buisness.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    845/1375 no voltage added

900/1375 @ 1175mV 06/vantage/gaming stable

950/1375 @ 1240mV 06/vantage stable no real gaming tested atm

975/1375 @ 1265mV semi benchable but far from stable

may I add that all temps displayed are always on the cold side. So the cooler does work nicely - or the displayed temps are irrelevant. I'd love if you'd let me know whether the VRM cooling helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast