Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD AM3 Overclocking Guides

Tyler Durden

AMD AM3 Overclocking Guides

Hey guys, just wanted to share these guides as they should be helpful to beginners, rusty veterans or even more skilled enthusiasts in tuning their AMD overclocks to the max. These guides are made by Slappa, so you know they're good.

Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials

AMD Phenom II IMC and RAM Overclocking Guide

Perhaps we could make this a sticky and I could add other helpful guides to it?
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Thanks for the post Alex!

Thanks men!

Every day you can learn something new

Bye!

Tyler Durden
    Quote Originally Posted by eL.Os-17 View Post
    Thanks men!

Every day you can learn something new

Bye!
    Indeed. I don't think you can ever stop 'brushing up' or learning new things when it comes to overclocking, there's just so many variables and the components are always changing.

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    thanks for the info, i have been wanting to play on that side of the tracks for a long time now
    and it's good to get some good advise

thanks
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY View Post
    Indeed. I don't think you can ever stop 'brushing up' or learning new things when it comes to overclocking, there's just so many variables and the components are always changing.
    Exactly. And there's always someone who knows a technique that were unaware or straight, you ignore.

Here is the link of the guide made by me and a friend.
    http://www.unknownteam.cl/2010/09/14...basico-en-am3/

Bye!

I was hoping for some good info on drive strengths, but the section about that basically consisted of "randomly change all of these settings until something works". It's not really the authoritative "Here is what is important, what it effects on a functional level, and some guidelines for what to change it to and under which circumstances" I was hoping for.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

I am Xtreme
    is the NB speeds limited mostly by the cpu, or is the motherboard too? and has that increased between the very old 790FX and current 800s?
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    is the NB speeds limited mostly by the cpu, or is the motherboard too? and has that increased between the very old 790FX and current 800s?
    I would say the cpu and temperature, the colder you are the higher it will go.
    On air though deneb C2 hit about 2.6ghz some 2.8ghz c3 2.8ghz 3.0ghz and E0 (thuban) will do about 3.2ghz on air on really good chips.
    The heat you get from that is pretty high though I did a stock test from stock clocks and my NB went up to 3.2ghz. (1.5 volts)
    Load went from 40C to 46C just with Nb Overclock, quite a significant amount of heat.

I think all board vary, some a good NB clockers other better core clockers.
    Last edited by demonkevy666; 10-18-2010 at 07:14 AM.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

I am Xtreme
    good to know. what about the "system temp" as reported in the bios. i assume thats the actual northbridge chip temp. but does that have much of a impact on stability anymore? with my system that will get much hotter than the cpu itself, since i run a corsair H50 on intake. my cpu is around 40C i think, its tough to tell exactly cause in the bios the temp idle is 27C, and in windows its reported as 19C. so i just add 10C to whatever number AOD or OCCT gives me. but the system temp is probably 5-10C higher due to bad airflow.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    Thubans are better with 890fx. I tested two thuban cpus with crosshair III and crosshair IV . Crosshair III max NB speed was 2800-2900mhz but with Crossair IV (890fx) you get over 3200mhz. Both tested with same cooling, memory and power.
    Cruncher1 / Main Rig: I7-3930k@4.9Ghz / Asus Rampage Formula IV / Corsair TX850W power /HIS 7950@1300 / Corsair GT 2000 C8 + Apacer 2000 c9 2x4GB / / MCW80 block VGA / EK-Supreme HF Block CPU + 2xPA120.3 Rad + chiller
    Cruncher2 I7-3930K@4.75Ghz / Asus Rampage Formula IV / MSI HAWK7870@1400 + XFX BE 7870@1180/1400 /Corsair GT 2000 C8 3x2GB / Corsair Gamer 650w power + EKWB water cooling kit
    Cruncher3 FX8150@4.7Ghz / Asus Crosshair V / MSI Twin Frozr3 6950@940 / Corsair Dominator C9 2x2GB / Antec 550w power/ Corsair H80 cooling
    Cruncher4 X6 1090T@4.0Ghz /M4A89GTD PRO / Club 3D 7770@1200 / Corsair Dominator 1600 C9 2GB / Coolink Corator DS /XFX 600w power

Banned

Perhaps we could make this a sticky and I could add other helpful guides to it?
    so your suggesting we make a sticky on this forum, of links to your blog site with the guides?

you are kidding right?

heres a better idea, why dont i cut and paste the guides into this forum and then ask mods to sticky there own forum links to the top of the page.

then all us xtreme site members dont need to visit a blog site if we dont want too, i personaly cant stand the sight of them. for the reasons you can find in my blog link below

Tyler Durden
    Quote Originally Posted by DosDuoNo View Post
    so your suggesting we make a sticky on this forum, of links to your blog site with the guides?

you are kidding right?

heres a better idea, why dont i cut and paste the guides into this forum and then ask mods to sticky there own forum links to the top of the page.

then all us xtreme site members dont need to visit a blog site if we dont want too, i personaly cant stand the sight of them. for the reasons you can find in my blog link below
    Nope, that was not a joke actually.

I actually said that I could add other links to other guides to my original post so that it would become sticky-worthy. Guess you didn't catch that.

Furthermore, TechREACTION isn't just a blog, it's a full-fledged tech website with reviews, guides, forums and yes blogs. We also have lot's of contests where we give away free sh1t but I guess you've missed those.

Btw, I'm Alex, people know me as EnJoY, who are you?

Xtreme Addict
    Great guide!

Is it ok if I translate it to Swedish and publish it on www.amdforum.se? Ofcourse I will make sure you guys get all the credit and I will link to TechReaction
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Tyler Durden
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    Great guide!

Is it ok if I translate it to Swedish and publish it on www.amdforum.se? Ofcourse I will make sure you guys get all the credit and I will link to TechReaction
    It is not techreaction's guide, it's Slappa's, so ask him.

Great guide!

Yep, I give you permission to do so.

However you need to include the link to techreaction.net

and also link my personal blog: http://slappablog.wordpress.com

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Slappa View Post
    Yep, I give you permission to do so.

However you need to include the link to techreaction.net

and also link my personal blog: http://slappablog.wordpress.com
    Thanks, and will put both on the top of the page!
    SweClockers.com

Thanks, and will put both on the top of the page!
    Thanks man! I really appreciate it. Both sites will enjoy the extra viewers.

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks man! I really appreciate it. Both sites will enjoy the extra viewers.
    Indeed, our site is growing slowly but we're a nisch forum focusing on AMD and we're Swedish only so all traffic is welcome. Also I love TechReaction and really liked your blog now that I read it
    SweClockers.com

Tyler Durden
    Indeed, our site is growing slowly but we're a nisch forum focusing on AMD and we're Swedish only so all traffic is welcome. Also I love TechReaction and really liked your blog now that I read it
    Thanks man, love the support! Best of luck with your blog.

Good luck man. I'll probably register in the forums over there too. It may be swedish but the community all loves the same things. Plus I'm an AMD guy so thats another plus.

Xtreme Addict
    Good luck man. I'll probably register in the forums over there too. It may be swedish but the community all loves the same things. Plus I'm an AMD guy so thats another plus.
    You're more then welcome
    SweClockers.com

You're more then welcome
    The more people I can share my content with, the better. Always good to help, or show off cool stuff

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    I was hoping for some good info on drive strengths, but the section about that basically consisted of "randomly change all of these settings until something works". It's not really the authoritative "Here is what is important, what it effects on a functional level, and some guidelines for what to change it to and under which circumstances" I was hoping for.
    id like to know about that too.. maybe chew can help with some writeup?
    Vishera 8320@ 5ghz | Gigabyte UD3 | 8gb TridentX 2400 c10| Powercolor 6850 | Thermalight Silver Arrow (bench Super KAZE 3k) | Samsung 830 128gbx2 Raid 0| Fractal case

Banned
    Nope, that was not a joke actually.

I actually said that I could add other links to other guides to my original post so that it would become sticky-worthy. Guess you didn't catch that.
    guess i did catch that, still doesnt excuse the shameless link to another site ran by you, when we could just post it here,

Furthermore, TechREACTION isn't just a blog, it's a full-fledged tech website with reviews, guides, forums and yes blogs. We also have lot's of contests where we give away free sh1t but I guess you've missed those.
    its a blog site, with a scattering of news and giveaways, but all the same its a blog site

Btw, I'm Alex, people know me as EnJoY, who are you?
    Im DosDuoNo, people know me as Dos, but you can call me sir

and who am I? im someone who doesnt post shameless links to my website trolling for passing trade.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast