Thread: [Update: It's over, wait for the video!] Overclocking @ Game City, Vienna

Xtreme Member

[Update: Video is here!] Overclocking @ Game City, Vienna

Hey guys,

we are currently preparing for a three day overclocking event in Austria, Vienna. It takes place during Austrias biggest gaming exhibition and it's just for fun, few records and with a bit competition.

We've invited Besi & splmann from Switzerland and tiborrr & Moonman from Slovenia to bench with us. Austrian mates are: Turrican, oxyyy, EmineM, oanvoanc, basco, Hampti, Jackinger and somehow myself, but I'm hired for talking.

Whatsoever, we have a little live stream for you, that will start in about an hour and stream the whole event ... all three days long. Please have a look at:

http://www.overclockers.at/gamecity/

We will also post pics and news here, whenever there's time. I know, that we can't compete with GOOC tomorrow, but well ... we're just trying to have fun and let Austria not what overclocking is all about.

See some photos below and be sure to watch the video here!

Xtreme Member
    We are starting slowly ... still lots of technical difficulties, but the livestream is online now!

oxyyy and Turrican have already broke the quadcore wprime 32M record with 3,85 seconds. You'll see them in the stream at this moment.

We're improving things right now ... there should be much more to see on the live stream very soon!

Xtreme Member
    First few projects just finished benching. Hope you could see some action on the streams. We also started moderating, but it's in German. I warned you, guys.

What has been achieved so far:

wPrime 32M Quadcore-Weltrekord - 3,859 s bei 6,16 GHz - Oxygen & Turrican

SuperPI 1M Österreichrekord - 6,516 s bei über 6,2 GHz

GTX 460 3DMark01 Weltrekord - 111700 3DMarks - tiborrr & Moonman

GTX 460 3DMark03 Weltrekord - 93138 3DMarks - tiborrr & Moonman

Xtreme Member
    We call it a day. I hope the livestream is somehow interesting. We have 2 more results, but only one screenshot. The other one broke on the usb stick. I'll post it tomorrow!

GTX 275 - 3DMark05 world record - Besi & splmann

It's Besi's beloved MSI GTX 275 Lightning ... no coldbug on the gpu.

GTX 460 - 3DMark06 world record - oanvoanc & basco

Point of View GTX 460 "Ultracharged" ... VRMs aren't that good, so it doesn't want much voltage. 1.2 volts on the gpu is not possible.

Screenshot of this as promised tomorrow.

Champion
    Have fun guys !

Xtreme Member
    Thx man!

Stream should start in a few minutes ... more or less.

Xtreme Member
    Day two is over and all I can tell is, that it was a pretty mess! We tried to do a little "three country competition" with some average 1156-components:

2x Core i5 655K
    ASUS GTX 460 DirectCU
    Kingston HyperX 2x2 GB 1333 Mhz, CL7
    Enermax Revoultion 85+ (920 W)
    free mainboard brand selection

Nothing too serious, just to show people on the exhibition live how systems can be prepared and operating systems can be tweaked. But guys from Switzerland, Besi & splmann, had some strange freezes with their Maximus III Extreme, even on totally fresh (cloned) installs. The Austrians oanvoanc and basco went for the Maximus III Formula, but didn't have enough time to cbb-mod it and were limited on -70 °C on cold boot. So the Slovenian guys took the crown with 7.753 seconds in wPrime 32M, 6.480 MHz CPU-Z and ~6.65 seconds SuperPI 1M. Congrats guys ... well, they chose the P55A-UD7, which did not have any cbb or cb problems with its mod. Well, but it was just for fun ... on a gaming exhibition it's pretty difficult to make people understand what a multithreaded benchmark is all about. Whatever, we had our fun ...

Afterwards we were freestylin' again, so everybody got back to prepare their projects. Guys from Switzerland were already benching an ASUS GTX 285 MATRIX and were just a few runs away from taking 3dmark 05, when suddenly the power went off for about 30 minutes. Outside it was raining (like pretty much the whole the day), so every bencher hat to warm their systems up and dry their components. So no good results today, just some fooling around.

But Besi and splmann will try again on our third and last day at the event, so await some GTX 285 damages.
    They also have a pretty good retail 980X (Batch 3014A) ... 6 ghz on 05, no coldbug at all. But before you ruin your bank account on Monday, we also had two 3014As for the event and both were horrible. Like not 06-benchstable above 5.6 ghz without having -120 degrees, but coldbug at -125 and -140 horrible!

So no screenshots today, but as promised I have the screenshot from yesterday:

GTX 460 3DMark 06 world record - oanvoanc & basco

Xtreme Member
    You're having lot of fun
    sorry for my bad english
    Gigabyte Battlefield Pi 1M #3

Xtreme Member
    I thought that we would be zombies today, but we're getting just warmed up! Besi & splmann are just killing it: GTX 285 world records in 05 and aquamark, GTX 275 world record in aquamark. They are crazy ... best part is, that they incidentally plugged in the wrong gulftown. So they still have some headroom on the cpu. Besi is now heating up and splmann and me will try some GTX6 memory clocks on Maximus III Extreme. Yes, yes ... base clock limited, but last time they tried at home, it did 246 ... so maybe a good cpu can push more.

About an hour ago, tiborrr and his temporary bench partner Hampti did some serious 8800 GT runs on 3dmark 01. 112700 marks ... and he is still having fun in the backstage area.

I will post some screenshots of the results later. Until then, please enjoy the live stream!

Xtreme Member
    I was waiting for some memory action, good luck with it !

Xtreme Member
    3100 MHz memory clock on ASUS Maximus III Extreme ... who was believing that these boards can't do that? :p

Xtreme Member
    3080 MHz, CL9-11-10 1N, dual channel ... ln2 was running out. -20 °C on cpu, -35 °C on memory. :p

Besi just broke single GTX 285 3dmark 06 about ~32.000 marks!

Xtreme Legend
    yeah, it was an awesome weekend, we had lots of fun.
    it was so nice too meet the slovenian and switzerland guys again.

Xtreme Member
    Third day was the best in my opinion! We still had the energy too bench as much as possible and it still was fun. Moonman was benching like a machine on a brand new xeon w3690 with 4x ASUS HD 5870 V2/1GB ... can't be stopped this guy. Even when tiborrr took one of the 5870s away, to get it under ln2 for some 3dmark01 runs. That was about one and a half hour before the end of the event. He benched the card until the event company unplugged the power choords. One or two tests away from a really good result. But he still has some good ones, even though the card couldn't do more than 1100 mhz on the gpu.

Somewhat groundbreaking (for ASUS ) was our little experiment with the Maximus III Extreme of splmann. His board and his Corsair GTX6 nad my precious 870 that did 258 bclock on P55A-UD7 teamed up to see what bclock the board is really capable of. First tests with cpu under -50 °C and with a low memory multiplier (so we are not limited on the mem) got us somewhat 264 mhz validated. When the memory clock jumped in, it was a bit harder to get it stable. But 3000 mhz memclock, cl9-11-10 1T was no problem and superpi stable. Maximum clock was 3100 mhz with timings relaxed and 3080 with cl9-11-10. But time was running out because splmann and Besi had to catch their plane, so there's still lots of headroom left. splmann and I will start a new thread regarding the board, where we want to share the settings, validations and what we tried. So more on that later.

Until the evening, we are collecting all the scores that happened during the event, so I will update this thread very soon. There will also be a nice summary hd video, that you should not miss, so please comeback later this week!

I am beginning to think, that it's much more useful and at least more fun, if the overclockers show their work on stage/live stream and not whatever some sponsoring companies might hand out to advertize their products. That does not work and barely produces good results. So I think that sponsored competions, where the overclockers have to do exactly this with exactly that in too few hours really are worthless. So letting them do, what they do best, worked perfectly here. Some overclockers are more into graphics cards, so what? Some like to bench memory, others just AMD. Together we were just a few people playing around with hardware. And that's what we love the most.

Well, I still have to say thank you to all the overclockers that worked so hard to make this event so successful! Thank you very everything, mates!

-100c Club
    @mat: Thank you for everything, buddy. I don't know how to thank you and also all of the overclockers.at crew for their hard work that eventually payed off. The event was a blast, I'm still getting used to everyday routine Too bad we couldn't stay for a whole week! We've finally got the chance to meet the Swiss team, benched a crapload of stuff side by side and also drank a couple of very good beers :cheers: Meeting our Austrian benching buddies we have met last year was great and we already have big plans of repeating such overclocking events. Fingers crossed!

I'll post my results in the morning, I hope you have a lot of pictures as I left my camera at home.

Best Regards,
    Niko

-100c Club
    Waiting on the pics & vids, mat! :cheers:

Friday, 24.09.2010
    Testing the E8600 and untested E8700 to decide whichever is better for 3D. Obvious choice was E86:

- E8600: CPU-Z @ 6387MHz
    - E8600: Pi1M - 7.172s @ 6324MHz
    - E8700: Pi1M - 7.234s @ 6281MHz
    - E8700: PiFast - 15.00s @ 6236MHz

GTX460 - 3DMark2001SE & '03 final results -> damn proud :

Saturday, 25.09.2010 - 3-county cup (CH:AT:SI)
    All results provided below were enough to secure the first place, all credits goes to fantastic Gigabyte P55A-UD7, provided by _mat_. While Swiss and Austrian team were struggling with ASUS boards and had horrible issues, the Giga board was running like the champ. BTW, this was chip #2, chip #1 was about ~ 100MHz worse, but held high Vtt much much better:

Super PI1M: 6.719s @ 6224MHz

Wprime 32M: 7.735s @6156MHz

Sunday, 26.09.2010:
    After I fu*ked up my RE with electrical screwdriver (ripped off some IC driver leg pads) I needed couple of hours to repair it with the soldering equipment that was available. The result of successful repair was uncontroled jumping out of joy for a couple of minutes Me & my austrian OC buddy Hampti then took on some 8800GT benching. The core was good but the memory chips were Quimonda brand therefor I couldn't secure the first place in '03 as well.

System:
    Intel C2D E8600
    ASUS Rampage Extreme X48
    2x1GB CSX Diablo DDR3-2000 (Micron D9GTR)
    BFG GeForce 8800GT 512MB PCIe - Vgpu modi
    TeamGroup 8GB SSD SATA2
    650W Antec TruePower NEW
    Cooling:
    - CPU: LittleDevil CPU Al/Cu pot + LN2 (~ -125°C)
    - GPU: LittleDevil GPU-R1 + LN2 (~ -140°C)
    - NB: watercooling - Tt BigWater 760i

Results
    8800GT @ hwbot.org: http://hwbot.org/hardware/videocard/...b?tab=rankings

#1 3DMark2001SE: 111.746 -> ORB
    #5 3DMark03: 57.214

Even when tiborrr took one of the 5870s away, to get it under ln2 for some 3dmark01 runs. That was about one and a half hour before the end of the event. He benched the card until the event company unplugged the power choords. One or two tests away from a really good result. But he still has some good ones, even though the card couldn't do more than 1100 mhz on the gpu.
    ASUS HD5870 V2 @ 111.790 3DMark01SE: http://hwbot.org/community/submissio...0_111790_marks

Re-run tommorrow, card is now fully modded and lacquer painted. I will push it until it produces high frequencies or until it dies. It's up to the Radeon...

Best OC regards,
    Niko
    Last edited by tiborrr; 09-29-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added GTX460 final scores

Champion
    Nice work guys!
    Weissbier - breakfast of champions

Xtreme Member
    We have sorted out our photos. Have a look:

Vienna's city hall, the location for this event. This is the entry for our exhibition hall.

Moonman preparing a UD9 and 4x ASUS EAH5870 for some backstage benching

Before we had the technical things for the stage ready, overclockers started benching.
    wprime 32M record fell before the first image was sent through these monitors.

Here it is: Xeon quadcore @ 6.17 GHz for 3.859 seconds in wprime 32M

Oxygen and Turrican (with beard) benching the xeon quadcore

tiborrr going for some 3DMark01 runs

Besi and splmann benching the MSI GTX 275 Lightning

Our overclocking both up and running. For security issues we had to be this separated from the audience!

Oxygen and Turrican going for some serious frame rates in Crysis with Gulftown over 5 Ghz, R3E and 4x EAH5870 V2/1GB

Another picture of our Crysis project

That's me interviewing splmann ... just seconds after they took the 3DMark05 with GTX 275

octacore playing around with AMD's newest quadcore: X4 970 BE

splmann and my system for going 3100+ mhz with Corsair's GTX6

That's Kristina and me moderating some kind of overclocking school to show people that overclocking is not only about ln2 and records

tiborrr's Gigabyte GTX 460 OC with more than 1200+ MHz

Filming for the live stream and video!

Control station for our live stream

More filming ... and isn't this a wonderful picture? tiborrr and Moonman while overclocking for our little contest on Saturday

Oxygen's session with his (now dead ) 8800 GTS. Somehow I like the look of the fancy Enermax Apollish fan ... this time!

Kristina while teasing and pleasing the crowd with gaming stuff

overclockers.at going huge!

tiborrr and Austrian team mate Hampti doing some 3DMark01 damage

Sometimes we really had a big crowd watching ...
    Guess they mostly thought "what the fark?!" while looking at the tweaked nature test

We also have a report online, including all results, more pictures and whatever happened during our three days at game city. It's in German as ever:

http://www.overclockers.at/articles/..._die_game_city
    Google translated: http://translate.google.at/translate...e_city&act=url

We still have a video waiting for you. Will be finished in the next few days.

Xtreme Member
    Our video is ready: http://www.overclockers.at/news/oc_tv_game_city_2010

We just posted it on our site, but will but it on a little microsite later. Be sure to watch it ... four minutes full of overclocking with tiborrr, Moonman, Besi, splmann and the Austrian overclockers + some gaming exhibition madness!