Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast

Thread: New Monsoon Modular Reservoir System

Xtreme Mentor
    Wow!! They do look sweet, but the million dollar question is "When?". Especially for the green.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Addict
    We had a small set back, tiny little machining error in the main body of MOST of the parts. The shop in China has already started remachining replacements and they should ship out the 25th.

On the up side, there will be enough correct ones to at least get some stock off to Danger Den, and some parts out to Cam for testing and some off to a few people already waiting. This is the only forum I post in so as soon as I get back from Fed Ex sending them off to DD I will post a notice in here...and it will be get them while they last at DD or wait till the 1st or 2nd week of January.

Should be tomorrow or Saturday to ship those! Gonna loose 3 hours of work time on my semi annual trip to the beauty parlor

Down side to having 2 feet of hair lol.

Xtreme Member
    Will the red box be available ?

Can I order NOW??

Please PM me if you need any info.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by thegcpu View Post
    Will the red box be available ?

Can I order NOW??

Please PM me if you need any info.
    The red, blue and black (not sure which version of the black will be the prepackaged kit...maybe you guys can comment on which black layout you like better) will all be available.

As for preorders...not sure how that would work as I only make the parts, DD does the sales etc.

Xtreme Member
    I like the red one you show in your video. The only thing I would change is the silver screws on the front face, I'm going with black screws.

Xtreme Addict
    I like the red one you show in your video. The only thing I would change is the silver screws on the front face, I'm going with black screws.
    I am thinking of switching from the gun blackened black stainless screws to an anodized black aluminum screw so the match on the face plate is perfect, but the concern is that over zealous users would strip out the hex head. So we are going to test some screws and see if they strip to easily for novice users. I will let you know how that goes.

For now the black stainless is what they will ship with.

Xtreme Member
    Got the price, but no order button yet.

Banned
    buck25 ?! wow.. that's steep for plastic box with visor lol
    Last edited by coolhandluke41; 12-16-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    for something that looks like it was designed by 1000 typing monkeys
    with no input from the community...

premium product, sounds like the right price point to me

i hope this makes you a rich man BG

i prefer the all black myself, but would be nice in the future, if they do well, to be able to buy replacement parts in different colors to customise,
    +1 for green, also purple, even clear
    I dont normally like bayres, but it would be blashpemy to hide this thing in a bay, unless it was all acrylic perhaps.
    it needs to be the centrepiece of a rig,
    i see a new build project in my future.....
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Creekin View Post
    for something that looks like it was designed by 1000 typing monkeys
    with no input from the community...

premium product, sounds like the right price point to me

i hope this makes you a rich man BG

i prefer the all black myself, but would be nice in the future, if they do well, to be able to buy replacement parts in different colors to customise,
    +1 for green, also purple, even clear
    I dont normally like bayres, but it would be blashpemy to hide this thing in a bay, unless it was all acrylic perhaps.
    it needs to be the centrepiece of a rig,
    i see a new build project in my future.....
    That's very kind of you thanks. I would be thrilled to actually not loose money for once TBH.

As for other colors we will have the green and possible an orange at some point in the future, but beyond that I doubt it as all the ancillary parts that go into these also require matching colors and Black, Blue, Red, and green are what sells.

Not a shame to cover them up really, what makes a great build or mod is layers of interest. Admiring the outside of a case, then a general view of the inside, then looking deeper into the build and seeing the little details.

That said...would also look killer in a clear case.

Dude...every time you post I burn 10 minutes racking my brain trying to remember where the guy in your avatar is from...I know when you tell me I will do a forehead plant but I gota know man lol.

**EDIT** Somebody just messaged me a YouTube linky...was not the guy I was trying to remember lol...I thought it was a dude from a Sci Fi movie a few years back.
    Last edited by BoxGods; 12-17-2010 at 01:04 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How about dual D5 models ? Are they coming in the next few months ?

24/7 running quiet and nice

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gmat View Post
    How about dual D5 models ? Are they coming in the next few months ?
    Yes. May not be HUGE production runs if I have to pay for them myself, but I feel compelled to build those one way or the other--not saying DD is not on board with them--just saying if they opted to do other parts in the MMRS line first.

Xtreme Addict
    I wanted to add a few comments on some items that are not, or may not be clear to everyone (people late to this thread in particular).

The color matched stripes on the machined aluminum motor cover, and the color matched panels on the motor tube end cover are NOT painted on. Each shipping product will include those in at least 2 colors of high quality vinyl cut decal sheets.

Yes it would have been a little cheaper to just have them painted in China like the top and side badges, and yes it will take you 5-10 minutes to apply the decals, but on balance the arguments for going with the vinyl decals swayed me towards them. My reasoning was something like this:

Having 4, 5 or more colors of the decals available, with several choices in the box lets the end user make that choice and is a nice way for each user to add just a little extra customization.

It is one thing to hype how handy having a modular system is for future upgrades/builds, but if you pre paint a color onto the part then the user is pretty much committed and the ability to actually USE the modular part on a future build is pretty limited.

And what if the end user/modder want's to paint their custom case color onto the part? The fins and area between the fins are the same so the vinyl pinstripes can be used as paint masking for the tops of the fins. Or you can go to a hobby shop, craft store, or sign shop and buy the vinyl in any of hundreds of custom colors and use a straight edge and a razor and cut your own pin stripes...or use the cut file downloaded from the DD site and have the sign shop cut them. What if the end user doesn't want any color in there at all?

Lastly...yeah it takes 10 minutes but for some users it will actually be a little bit fun--like the Revel models with the decals you dipped off into water as a kid, or R/C airplane decals etc.. It also adds a tiny bit of "sweat equity"...most of the guys in here will know what i mean.

Anyway, wanted you to know before you plunk down ur cash and then open the box and go WTF? Jeremy from DD was kind enough to humor me on the decals with the proviso that if enough people ed about them we would go to painted stripes in the future...
    Last edited by BoxGods; 12-17-2010 at 02:28 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluke41 View Post
    buck25 ?! wow.. that's steep for plastic box with visor lol
    Its a giant chunk of Delrin (yes plastic...a high tech plastic that is only about 10% - 15% less then aluminum in cost) that spends almost an hour in a 200K CNC machine, then is annealed in an annealing furnace for 8 - 10 hours, is chemical etched AND sand blasted, then soaks for several hours in an expensive plastic conditioner, followed by by hand buffing.

A billet aluminum face plate is machined from a 6mm thick chunk of aluminum, brushed and anodized, then gets a 10mm beveled acrylic window.

There is a PCB with 4 SMT LED's, a pair of momentary switches, and a micro controller positioned over light cells that direct the light into the reservoir. Also a pair of machined aluminum push rods that are the front face buttons --so no nasty switch harnesses to route/hide inside your case, no holes to drill for crappy looking switches.

The finned full conversion motor tube is turned from aluminum and anodized and has a machined Delrin end cap that is over 12mm thick.

The LED power wire is sleeved in the high quality triple strand triple weave sleeving that does not allow the wire to show through.

The Quarter slot tool free plugs are turned brass, plated in silver chrome, black chrome, or matte black.

1mm and 2mm adhesive backed mounting pads and machined 3mm Iso Mounts on all four corners. All screws are 300 series stainless.

More then half the parts are part of an entire family of Modular parts that can be be used on future builds. Not to mention a big selection of colors, finishes etc..

Excellent dual and single loop performance--the single loop performance is very nearly 25% better then the stock D5--and pretty quiet operation also.

Price and value are relative I know--so for the people who do not need all the extras there is the $99 economy version you can see in the black and red here:

http://photos.dangerden.com/Reservoi...28169278_qC93s

Not saying you wrong obviously...just that it is NOT a simple plastic box with a visor.
    Last edited by BoxGods; 12-17-2010 at 02:57 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    you forgot about the cost of design and profit!
    imho its the right price point, as a retailer we price things for what the market will pay, not what they are worth or cost.
    I think you could get more, with a few cheap added extras or options

thanks for clearing that up, i thought they were painted, vinyl decals may not be to everyone taste, but i think its a fantastic idea, it answers mine and 1000s of others questions about "can i get it in this colour to match my eyes?"
    and i assumed (wrongly?) cheaper even than chinese lead paint
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Xtreme Addict
    you forgot about the cost of design and profit!
    imho its the right price point, as a retailer we price things for what the market will pay, not what they are worth or cost.
    I think you could get more, with a few cheap added extras or options

thanks for clearing that up, i thought they were painted, vinyl decals may not be to everyone taste, but i think its a fantastic idea, it answers mine and 1000s of others questions about "can i get it in this colour to match my eyes?"
    and i assumed (wrongly?) cheaper even than chinese lead paint
    That's funny on the lead paint lol. When I was first learning my way around Chinese manufacturing, I said to a lady shop foreman...forewoman...w/e, "And I will need some sort of assurance from you that your company does not use child labor". This was in a chat. There was a long pause and when she answered I could tell she was pretty pissed because she typed about 200 miles an hour. She said, "How about this number for your assurance--35%. That is the REAL unemployment rate in Mainland China. So many adults want the jobs who would hire a child?"

Then she said, "...and what do you think China is? Mexico?"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxGods View Post
    Then she said, "...and what do you think China is? Mexico?"

ive spent alot of time in shanghai, i know lots of hard working ppl, never saw children being exploited, only waited on hand and foot by their poor, tired, hard working parents!
    X2k

Xtreme Addict

ive spent alot of time in shanghai, i know lots of hard working ppl, never saw children being exploited, only waited on hand and foot by their poor, tired, hard working parents!
    Yeah, in hind sight I now know how hugely offensive what I said to her was. You want to make an entire culture absolutely dote on their children...just pass a law that says they can only have one and stand back.

In my price point rant I forgot to mention that a human hand washes all the delrin bodies, then rinses them in distilled water, then assembles every part one at a time, pressurizes them to 3 x operating pressure than submerges them in a water tank for 10 minutes for leak tesing. Not every 20th part "randomly selected"--EVERY part. Every single threaded hole is populated to confirm the threads integrity. Also, we use silicone O rings, not the cheapo Burna N rubber ones that dry out.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You want to make an entire culture absolutely dote on their children...just pass a law that says they can only have one and stand back.

How are you making them so cheap? and still make some sort of profit
    chinese labour?
    i mean that as a serious question not a dig.

some ppl in the world are willing (read:have no choice) to work for a bowl of rice a day, some ppl in the world (myself included) want $100/hr, health care,superannuation,sick leave,holiday leave,compensation,
    and then wonder why the economy is a mess
    X2k

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes. May not be HUGE production runs if I have to pay for them myself, but I feel compelled to build those one way or the other--not saying DD is not on board with them--just saying if they opted to do other parts in the MMRS line first.
    Cheers I'll be holding out for that (dual pumps, one loop, if possible).

24/7 running quiet and nice

Xtreme Member
    Thanks..
    Now I fell better dropping that amount of cash..

Waiting for the buy button..

P.S.
    How can I get the Black face plate screws?

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks..
    Now I fell better dropping that amount of cash..

Waiting for the buy button..

P.S.
    How can I get the Black face plate screws?
    It will come with them both.

If we DO switch over to the black aluminum screws down the road I will post a comment in here.

Banned
    Its a giant chunk of Delrin (yes plastic...a high tech plastic that is only about 10% - 15% less then aluminum in cost) that spends almost an hour in a 200K CNC machine, then is annealed in an annealing furnace for 8 - 10 hours, is chemical etched AND sand blasted, then soaks for several hours in an expensive plastic conditioner, followed by by hand buffing.

A billet aluminum face plate is machined from a 6mm thick chunk of aluminum, brushed and anodized, then gets a 10mm beveled acrylic window.

There is a PCB with 4 SMT LED's, a pair of momentary switches, and a micro controller positioned over light cells that direct the light into the reservoir. Also a pair of machined aluminum push rods that are the front face buttons --so no nasty switch harnesses to route/hide inside your case, no holes to drill for crappy looking switches.

The finned full conversion motor tube is turned from aluminum and anodized and has a machined Delrin end cap that is over 12mm thick.

The LED power wire is sleeved in the high quality triple strand triple weave sleeving that does not allow the wire to show through.

The Quarter slot tool free plugs are turned brass, plated in silver chrome, black chrome, or matte black.

1mm and 2mm adhesive backed mounting pads and machined 3mm Iso Mounts on all four corners. All screws are 300 series stainless.

More then half the parts are part of an entire family of Modular parts that can be be used on future builds. Not to mention a big selection of colors, finishes etc..

Excellent dual and single loop performance--the single loop performance is very nearly 25% better then the stock D5--and pretty quiet operation also.

Price and value are relative I know--so for the people who do not need all the extras there is the $99 economy version you can see in the black and red here:

http://photos.dangerden.com/Reservoi...28169278_qC93s

Not saying you wrong obviously...just that it is NOT a simple plastic box with a visor.
    Thank you BG for taking your time and pointing out all the details
    most of your arguments are on the money except the CNC part ,I have been NC machining for over 20 years and i know how long it takes and how much it cost to make this part,most of the time it cost more to have
    that "200K" sitting idle .
    The think that i don't get is all the detail that goes to the top of the RES and places that don't really matter,don't get me wrong this unit look very nice but want's you mount it in your bay, it's over .The game breaker would be the basic in my opinion,99$ sounds reasonable if it only came with black anodized trim around the edge of front plate and color interior ,no need for different color gasket
    The higher priced unit could be attractive for acrylic cases owners tho,good job for bringing some heat on the competitors

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluke41 View Post
    Thank you BG for taking your time and pointing out all the details
    most of your arguments are on the money except the CNC part ,I have been NC machining for over 20 years and i know how long it takes and how much it cost to make this part,most of the time it cost more to have
    that "200K" sitting idle .
    The think that i don't get is all the detail that goes to the top of the RES and places that don't really matter,don't get me wrong this unit look very nice but want's you mount it in your bay, it's over .The game breaker would be the basic in my opinion,99$ sounds reasonable if it only came with black anodized trim around the edge of front plate and color interior ,no need for different color gasket
    The higher priced unit could be attractive for acrylic cases owners tho,good job for bringing some heat on the competitors
    Thanks! Your right the top doesn't HAVE to have all the details, but most of it is actually functional as well as aesthetic. The top ports are recessed so the bay above the reservoir can be populated, and the little extra basins around the ports catches the inevitable little drips/spills when topping off. Having two ports allows for more rapid filling because displaced air can escape as you fill. The triangular stamped top plate with three screws allows the user to more easily remove/swap the LED board--and placing the logo on that top plate keeps it off of the front, a pet peeve of mine.

Your of course correct that an idle machine is a huge expense...but it's not one I have to pay as I don't own the machines--not yet anyway My point was more time on machine and tool changes etc. There is a LOT of material removed on these and they are in the machine envelope a LONG time.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmat View Post
    Cheers I'll be holding out for that (dual pumps, one loop, if possible).
    You could also just run two single pump reservoirs stacked on each other. Then you would have the option of series or parallel or separate loop setups..

Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast