Thread: Crazy Coolant Idea

Xtreme Member

Crazy Coolant Idea

I've had this idea for a few years now, and while I know it wouldn't be practical for everyday use due to toxic evaporation, I wondered if anyone has ever tried using mercury as a coolant.

It's thermal conductivity is vastly superior to water, but I imagine the milestones one would run into would be the pump struggling against It's density, not to mention the possibility of it reacting negatively against any materials in the system and having to run the system in an open area.

Can anyone speculate on this?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Conductivity isn't the only factor.
    There is also Thermal Capacity.

The ability of a substance to hold heat without increasing in temperature.
    Example because of the H bonds of water it has a higher capacity of holding heat.
    The H bonds stores that potiential energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_capacity

^^^^
    Click me

This comes up every few months anytime someone reads about mercury. You will eventually die or kill someone trying to use it or some other terrible thing so don't do it.

Xtreme Guru
    thermal conductivity is only one of important properties of coolant. Another one is thermal capacity. I doubt it beating water in that, when just few metals in solid form only nears it. +Do you know how poisonous mercury is?

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    OP, cooling with liquid gallium would be much more practical... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=99240
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Member
    Guys I'm going to make this very clear right now since there are already 2 responses assuming I am an idiot who is not aware mercury is poisonous which shows they just skimmed over my original post. Please scroll up and read very carefully where I typed:

and while I know it wouldn't be practical for everyday use due to toxic evaporation
    Good point on the thermal capacity BTW.

I am Xtreme
    There's also the little problem that your pretty much stuck with air as a medium for the last thermal transfer in most situations. Water would work a lot better if air wasn't such a crappy means of transferring thermal energy.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    where would you buy that much murcury? lol the people that you ask for it would get so confusted.. "yes can i get 1/2 gallon of mercury please?"

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    OP, cooling with liquid gallium would be much more practical... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=99240
    why is it that only u and i remember this post?

And i remember it from the time i was lurking too.

Even vapor didnt know about this post until i told him @ GOOC.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    where would you buy that much murcury? lol the people that you ask for it would get so confusted.. "yes can i get 1/2 gallon of mercury please?"
    LOL! I thought of the same thing.

"Yes can I please get a 1/2 gallon of mercury...It will not be used for terrorist purposes"

I am Xtreme
    wtf is liquid gallium, nm ill google it instead of having you guys convince me to go get some

and thermal capacity shouldnt be much of an issue, since liquid flow rates should be fast enough to negate that issue right? the difference between water temp going in and out is still really low, like 5C ish?

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    why is it that only u and i remember this post?
    Considering it was posted in 2006, it does pre-date a rather large percentage of XS members... though, I'm a bit surprised that Eric hadn't seen it.

With that said, I do have a knack for remembering random stuff like this.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    and thermal capacity shouldnt be much of an issue, since liquid flow rates should be fast enough to negate that issue right?
    I doubt it not being issue given much higher viscosity of liquid metals - so most probably low flow.

Chasing After Diety
    ur cheating the flow component by changing the medium.

Gallium has such a high heat capacity, that you really wouldnt need super flow.

But the pumps i believe are far more reliable, as its magnetic, meaning it pulls the liquid via magnetic field, so there is no real moving parts inside that pump.

Xtreme Member
    I was actually considering doing this, until I saw the price of liquid gallium.

$150 for 100 grams...

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by FireDemon666 View Post
    I was actually considering doing this, until I saw the price of liquid gallium.

$150 for 100 grams...
    ROFLROFLROFL..

I think realtim had a simular idea. But it makes your coolant conductive.

And all the times ive leaked, spilled, did something STUPID, i dont think i can ever use a conductive coolant.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    ROFLROFLROFL..

I think realtim had a simular idea. But it makes your coolant conductive.

And all the times ive leaked, spilled, did something STUPID, i dont think i can ever use a conductive coolant.
    QTF.

Like that time I accidentally yanked a hose out of a fitting with the PC powered on and pump running...

Or the time that POS coolermaster waterblock I had developed a crack in the acrylic top...

under heat, doesn't mercury also expand more than other liquids?
    []
    Intel i7 980X | EVGA X58 E760 Classified | 6GB Corsair Dominator | Sapphire HD5970 2GB | Logitech Z-5500 | 2 x Intel X25-M G2 160GB RAID-0 | 2 x WD Velociraptor 300GB RAID-0 | WD Black 1TB | Pioneer BDR-S05J | Corsair HX850 | Dell 2408WFP | MM Pinnacle 24 | Filco Black w/ Cherry MX Brown KS | Razer Imperator
    []
    Swiftech Apogee XT WB | Swiftech Epsilon 5970 FC WB | EK X58 Classified FC WB | 2 x TFC XChanger 360 w/ 6 x Scythe GT | MCP 655 w/ BP Mod Kit & Koolance Pump Nozzle Base | DD Rad Res | BP 7/16' ID 5/8' OD Compression Fittings | Koolance QDCs | PrimoFlex LRT 7/16 - 5/8 | DW w/ PT-Nuke w/ Silver KC

Off topic, as far as computer cooling goes but on the topic of crazy coolants some fast breeder nuclear reactors use liquid sodium as the primary heat transfer fluid. About as nasty of a combination as I can imagine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_metal_fast_reactor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiSqW6pFuR8

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurz View Post
    Conductivity isn't the only factor.
    There is also Thermal Capacity.

The ability of a substance to hold heat without increasing in temperature.
    Example because of the H bonds of water it has a higher capacity of holding heat.
    The H bonds stores that potiential energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_capacity
    There is also a problem with density, for the same volume Hg will be about 14x heavier than water meaning much higher pressures are needed to get equitable flow through the same elevations.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    I doubt it not being issue given much higher viscosity of liquid metals - so most probably low flow.
    lol, more like low flow for about 15 minutes until your pump has an aneurysm.

I worked in a lab a while ago where we used mercury manometers for high pressure differentials without knocking holes in the ceiling (for an equivalent water manometer).

We had liter bottles of it. Someone put one on a top shelf once, I didn't realize what it was and slid it off. I of course was not expecting the weight. It fell down and briefly pulled my shoulder out of socket.... fun times.

I'll take water though.

Edit: it tastes funny too...
    upgrading...

Xtreme Member
    may be we return to this idea (liquid metal cooling) after CPU's TDP reaches 1kW ... but now it's not worth it. IMHO better stick with slightly sub-ambient phase change... much less toxic and danger