Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitness

Xtreme Addict

Fitness

What do you guys do to stay fit when we're always in front of computers?

I ballooned to 215 and got myself down below my starting weight. I'm currently at 165 and go to the gym daily and eat healthily.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Mentor
    I eat semi healthy and hit the gym about 4 or 5 times a week for an hour to 2 hours each time.

I'm actually gaining a lot of muscle so my weight has gone up from 190 to its current 220-ish
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Addict
    walk 6km per day?
    benching and crunching ... (not the computer, it's the user)

Xtreme Addict
    Stay away from supplements! They are a waste of time.

Think about it, your average daily supplement has what, one hundred different vitamines and minerals. Phht. I call BS on that phlimsey amount. Not only that, who the hell need 6666% of thier daily intake of vitamine E in one pill. Phht. its ludacris.

One red apple, or any other fresh produce, has literally THOUSANDS of phyto nutrients; most of which have never even been identified! The supplements being pushed by snakeoil salesmen like those that work for GNC and others are pure rubbish. Quite listening to the people in the buisness of selling pills, and start doing your own research on what they really are. PURE GARBAGE!

There is, IMO, very few situations in which I will fully endorse vitamines or PROTIEN suppliments. Body-builders for one, those heavy lifters, that want to build mass simply cannot get enough of the good stuff, and therefore need an extra protien shake to get results. Whats another one; preggo women that need more iron or whatever.. but seriously, even then they would be better off eating more brocali ro liver or pinto beans or any other natural source of nutrients.

Anyone else... you just dont need it and in fact are better off getting your vitamines and minerals from natural foods.
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 08-05-2010 at 12:17 AM.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Addict
    I eat what I want, every two hours.

I powerlift in the evenings and do timed barbbell complexes in the mornings before breakfast. It's all I need.

Find what works for you and just stick with it. It's quite easy to stay in shape and be healthy.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm gonna have to call you on that one scrapper... I used to get sick constantly, until I started taking vitamins. I haven't been sick since, and I've changed nothing in my daily routine or what I eat. The multivitamins are crap though. You need to take the ones that are 1 vitamin per pill. You can talk all you want, but results speak louder.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtremeish
    I have been really lazy this summer, didn't affect my weight though, still thin ^^
    I do adjust my intake compared to my "activeness" though and I pretty much stay away from sweets and soda's/soft drinks. (I rarely drink Alcohol as well)
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Addict
    There's ONE sweet most people can eat, without worrying about gaining weight. High cocoa % dark chocolate. Not only does it have very little sugar, but it also works as a mood raiser and anti-depressant. (This is why eating chocolate after a bad breakup is actually a good thing.)
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

SLC
    I do MMA 3 evenings per week 1-1.5h each time. Friday nights are 1h of sparring. I eat whatever the hell I want and never lose or gain more than 2 pounds. I am 5'7 and 143lbl.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by little_scrapper View Post
    Stay away from supplements! They are a waste of time.

Think about it, your average daily supplement has what, one hundred different vitamines and minerals. Phht. I call BS on that phlimsey amount. Not only that, who the hell need 6666% of thier daily intake of vitamine E in one pill. Phht. its ludacris.

One red apple, or any other fresh produce, has literally THOUSANDS of phyto nutrients; most of which have never even been identified! The supplements being pushed by snakeoil salesmen like those that work for GNC and others are pure rubbish. Quite listening to the people in the buisness of selling pills, and start doing your own research on what they really are. PURE GARBAGE!

There is, IMO, very few situations in which I will fully endorse vitamines or PROTIEN suppliments. Body-builders for one, those heavy lifters, that want to build mass simply cannot get enough of the good stuff, and therefore need an extra protien shake to get results. Whats another one; preggo women that need more iron or whatever.. but seriously, even then they would be better off eating more brocali ro liver or pinto beans or any other natural source of nutrients.

Anyone else... you just dont need it and in fact are better off getting your vitamines and minerals from natural foods.
    ROFL angry much?

90%+ of supplements are complete garbage, I agree. The reason some of these multi-vitamins have such a retarded high amount of compounds is due to the absorbtion rate of our bodies. Most of the ones wth the crazy amounts of say B vitamins is because they are generally for very very active people. Bodybuilders and other athletes use/need more vitamins than most. Plus you can't blame the companies for trying to make a buck. What you can blame them for is the sorry ass companies that use lead/mercury filled substances in their product.

I used to take an Animal Pack every morning. I don't now because I am not active but I felt way better when I took them. Plus what vitamins my body didn't use just went out as neon yellow urine

Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    I do MMA 3 evenings per week 1-1.5h each time. Friday nights are 1h of sparring. I eat whatever the hell I want and never lose or gain more than 2 pounds. I am 5'7 and 143lbl.
    I'm so jealous man. I have searched and searched for a BJJ gym where I live now. That ain't happening. Only traditional Karate and whatnot. Do you train to fight or just for the fitness? I'm more into the grappling honestly because its so damn fun and difficult.
    Last edited by chuchnit; 08-05-2010 at 05:58 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Well while at the computer I know this is going to sound funny but works out great. I have a doorway pull up bar and push up handles next to my computer, so when I'm benchmarking 3D I knock out sets while the benchmark is running

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    I run. Marathons. And shorter of course....
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

SLC
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchnit View Post
    I'm so jealous man. I have searched and searched for a BJJ gym where I live now. That ain't happening. Only traditional Karate and whatnot. Do you train to fight or just for the fitness? I'm more into the grappling honestly because its so damn fun and difficult.
    Really? There are so many MMA gyms around where I live. I don't train to compete, but I never miss an opportunity to spar someone as long as I am not injured. I like standup myself and I am doing muay thai and boxing for that. Some basic BJJ for ground fighting.

I could never just go to a normal gym to work out. I would be bored out of my mind.

Xtreme Addict
    Do HIIT to raise you RMR, and eat sensibly, and you will start burning more calories even when sitting doing nothing at your PC.

Eat sensibly: No one should need a rigid schedule, just use your noggin. Eat when you're hungry, not when you feel like eating - that can be a psychological thing.
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post

I ballooned to 215 and got myself down below my starting weight. I'm currently at 165 and go to the gym daily and eat healthily.
    I went swimming 1 time a week, went to gym twice a week...
    In the same time I went to pub/club/disco 4 times a week....
    And worked with PC 5 days a week.... Ate HEAVY breakfast 5 days a week... (scrambled eggs, bacon, beans, mushrooms'n'oil, sausages)

I stayed very fit.... Then I got a back injury, and had to do no sports, gained 12 kg in no time (less then 2 months...)
    Then I started working out every second day, at home.... and back to a nice weight and beach-ready shape

72kg // 159 lbs
    169cm tall... Wont even convert that to the shi(f)tty crap system US and UK guys uses, feet and inches, go convert yourself...
    Last edited by M.Beier; 08-05-2010 at 07:21 AM.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    Really? There are so many MMA gyms around where I live. I don't train to compete, but I never miss an opportunity to spar someone as long as I am not injured. I like standup myself and I am doing muay thai and boxing for that. Some basic BJJ for ground fighting.

I could never just go to a normal gym to work out. I would be bored out of my mind.
    Yep none where I live There is one about 30min away but idk what kind of trainers they have. Probably just some backyard hillbillies that watched some videos and decided to open a gym.

I like stand up too, but I fell in love with BJJ when helping a friend train for a fight. I was in good shape when I started with him and it still kicked my arse. Plus it is such a mental game of chess. I would love to find a sanctioned BJJ gym and learn how to grapple with a gee. I love lifting weights, but I only get into it if I lift hard and heavy. Of course I end up injured and burnt out after a few months though. I really don't have time for anything right now which sucks

Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    169cm tall... Wont even convert that to the shi(f)tty crap system US and UK guys uses, feet and inches, go convert yourself...
    Totally agree mate. Our US system of measurement is so retarded. Metric is so easy and just makes sense. Why oh why can't the whole world go metric?

(o.O)
    i do cross fit 3x a week. www.crossfit.com
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield @ 3.2GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo | 2x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) | Sapphire 4870x2 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10k RPM | Intel 120GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM | Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM | PCP&C 750W Power Supply |Cooler Master HAF932 | Windows 7 64-bit | Dell ULTRASHARP 2408WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Join Us in the XS World Community Grid Forum & Help Fight Cancer and Other Diseases

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    I, uhh.... well... does spinning in one's chair and occasionally getting up to go grab more snacks count?

I used to enjoy walking/running but not so much since moving to Palmdale--I don't really like going outside much here. My diet is not particularly healthy, but there are reasons for that... slowly getting better.

I have a treadmill on the way and will probably fall back into my morning crunches/pushups/running/walking exercise routine once it gets here. Mind you, I'm 5'-10" and weigh less than 120lb... so I have a bit of a different problem than most.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Member
    Gym twice a week(mostly cardio), running 4km twice a week.

70kg/155lbs
    184cm/6ft

I'm a skinny $%^&, always been that way, I really do struggle to gain weight via regular eating and don't see myself doing weights anytime soon, so for now I'm fairly happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryba View Post
    I don't carre about PCMark - it's for gays with moustache
    A Stranger's thoughts...

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by Ch@pS View Post
    Gym twice a week(mostly cardio), running 4km twice a week.

70kg/155lbs
    184cm/6ft

I'm a skinny $%^&, always been that way, I really do struggle to gain weight via regular eating and don't see myself doing weights anytime soon, so for now I'm fairly happy.
    The trick is fairly simple;
    To gain weight, this being fat or muscle mass, your intake of calories has to be higher then your usage.
    Cardio is your enemy when you wish to gain muscle mass in other words.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Mentor
    Anyone use Muscle Milk? It doesn't taste as bad as normal protein supplements, but I was wondering if it helps...
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    I'm gonna have to call you on that one scrapper... I used to get sick constantly, until I started taking vitamins. I haven't been sick since, and I've changed nothing in my daily routine or what I eat. The multivitamins are crap though. You need to take the ones that are 1 vitamin per pill. You can talk all you want, but results speak louder.
    Well I did leave some leeway for situatuations like yours. Obviously there are no blanket answers to cover all situations. my mom ate VERY well and walked like 6 miles a day every day. Yet, she was sick and having issues like vertigo and it turned out that even though she ate lots of foods rich in vitamine B's, she was still having a 'B' deficiancy and shee needs a B supplement. Problem solved.

So yes there are in fact lots of situations like this that mandate a supplement. But 99% of the population that takes multivitamines have no real necessity for it other then thier lacking diet.

Although I must admit that not everyone can afford to eat "good" food all the time and vitamines are cheap. Fact of the matter is that godd and natural food is much more expensive then boxed food.
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 08-05-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    MM is pretty good and taste great. It is a little high in calories and carbs though. I always drank optimum nutrition protein. Its cheap and only like 120 calories. I gain weight easy though. MM is like a meal replacement shake for me.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Anyone use Muscle Milk? It doesn't taste as bad as normal protein supplements, but I was wondering if it helps...
    I think it's pretty good. Personally I don't really wear down my muscles more than two times / week, and I use Whey instead, combined with Carbo Gain (maltodextrin) and bananas etc. But yeah, Muscle Milk works.

From what I understand though regular chocolate milk works just fine too.... It all depends on what the goals are...
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    The trick is fairly simple;
    To gain weight, this being fat or muscle mass, your intake of calories has to be higher then your usage.
    Cardio is your enemy when you wish to gain muscle mass in other words.
    If only my problem was that simple. :P The cardio is a must whether I want to or not. I suffer from Marfans syndrome and lungs that collapse out of nowhere! The cardio reduces the chance of this happening greatly so I'm stuck with it. That and I have an overactive thyroid which doesn't help things.

My diet consists of alot of red meat, chicken and pork, plenty of potatoes and bread and a fair share of veggies too. I suppliment that with regular trips to the local KFC, Steers(think a tastier Burger King) and Pizzaria. If I'm not sleeping I'm eating, large portions constantly. I guess the constant eating is just speeding my metabolysm up which isn't doing me any favours, but hey a mans gotta eat right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ryba View Post
    I don't carre about PCMark - it's for gays with moustache
    A Stranger's thoughts...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast