Thread: asus gtx480 voltage tweak ?????

Xtreme Member

Question asus gtx480 voltage tweak ?????

whats the difference between lets say msi evga vs asus

i know its the bios but is the voltage limited more than asus's card

oh yeah and what happens when u reach 100 posts

i bumped a thread once and a guy went ape and said something about 100

thx

Banned
    look on the forum rules it will tell you, they are pretty touchy around here about the 100 post thing.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by overclocking101 View Post
    look on the forum rules it will tell you, they are pretty touchy around here about the 100 post thing.
    oh and what about the other question

thx

Xtreme Member
    bump

Xtreme Member
    I have the same question in my mind. whats the difference between pny vs asus vs evga gtx480? 50% voltage tweak does look tempting.

Any suggestions from the members?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i think all of them let you tweak the volts to the same points more or less...
    and if they dont, you can probably flash to another vga bios and then use another tool...
    unless you watercool i dont think you will be voltage limited on either of those cards, so theres not much to worry about afaik...

and asus voltage tweak +50%... nobody knows what exactly they mean by that... they arent allowing higher voltages as anybody else from what ive seen

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    i think all of them let you tweak the volts to the same points more or less...
    and if they dont, you can probably flash to another vga bios and then use another tool...
    unless you watercool i dont think you will be voltage limited on either of those cards, so theres not much to worry about afaik...

and asus voltage tweak +50%... nobody knows what exactly they mean by that... they arent allowing higher voltages as anybody else from what ive seen
    thx for replying and one more thing people say that the overclocked version are better for overclocking because it comes from better batches
    is this true and where is the evidence to supports that
    Last edited by owned666; 04-24-2010 at 08:23 AM.

Xtreme Member
    now thats an interesting question. I would love to hear the reply for that.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by owned666 View Post
    thx for replying and one more thing people say that the overclocked version are better for overclocking because it comes from better batches
    is this true and where is the evidence to supports that
    There will be no binning for the first batch of Fermi, as there are next to no supply to make binning worth while at the moment. The highest factory overclocked 480 is at around 50Mhz for the EVGA watercooled card, which is easily achievable with any 480. The most difference you can look forward to with an overclocked version is a very slight bump in stock voltage.. which you can raise much further with softwares like Afterburner with any non-OCed version.

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki View Post
    We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal_fantasy View Post
    There will be no binning for the first batch of Fermi, as there are next to no supply to make binning worth while at the moment. The highest factory overclocked 480 is at around 50Mhz for the EVGA watercooled card, which is easily achievable with any 480. The most difference you can look forward to with an overclocked version is a very slight bump in stock voltage.. which you can raise much further with softwares like Afterburner with any non-OCed version.
    since u are very informative about this

how long will it take so i could buy a good 480 card ?

a month ?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    since u are very informative about this

how long will it take so i could buy a good 480 card ?

a month ?
    What is a "good" 480 card? And what makes you think the current reference ones are bad in any way? Non-reference cards more often then not proves to be cut down versions of the reference design to save costs to manufacture, and higher spec ones don't see much if at all benefit unless you are going for sub-zero cooling.

If you really are willing to wait for a non-reference designed card, check the News section in 2-3 months time.

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki View Post
    We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal_fantasy View Post
    What is a "good" 480 card? And what makes you think the current reference ones are bad in any way? Non-reference cards more often then not proves to be cut down versions of the reference design to save costs to manufacture, and higher spec ones don't see much if at all benefit unless you are going for sub-zero cooling.

If you really are willing to wait for a non-reference designed card, check the News section in 2-3 months time.
    what i meant was
    when will there be a second batch
    u know "for overclocking" like u said

or should i just get a 480 now
    Last edited by owned666; 04-25-2010 at 11:52 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    You mean like newer, revised stepping like B1 etc? Not anytime soon.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadDamage View Post
    You mean like newer, revised stepping like B1 etc? Not anytime soon.
    F this im gona buy a 480 then

Xtreme X.I.P.
    the 460 will be based on damaged gf100 gpus, and thatll come out in 1-2 months...
    so there wont even be a new mainstream gf100 by then, obviously, as theyd use that newer chip for the 460 then...
    so the chances of them having a newer stepping gf100 by then are very low...

if the 460 isnt interesting for you (~gtx285 perf i heard) then get a 470 or 480 now... if you can find one...
    and i also doubt that there are any differences in ocing for the different versions and vendors of 480s right now... pure luck of draw...
    except for the msi card maybe that uses better caps and coils?

Xtreme Member
    Guys, Does it make a difference which brand GTX480 I use on evga x58 classified?

I am planning to watercool and overclock it.

Also, the price for PNY, EVGA and ASUS is 585, 565 and 505 euros respectively. Pny offers 5 movies downloads which I am not interested.

Whats your advice?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by marxviper View Post
    Guys, Does it make a difference which brand GTX480 I use on evga x58 classified?

I am planning to watercool and overclock it.

Also, the price for PNY, EVGA and ASUS is 585, 565 and 505 euros respectively. Pny offers 5 movies downloads which I am not interested.

Whats your advice?
    just go for the ASUS, brand doesn't really matter because they're all the same and if you're like the rest of us you'll be putting it to rest in your box of old graphics cards in less than a year anyway.
    i7 920 @ 4GHz 1.25v
    GTX 470 @ 859MHz 1062mv

Xtreme Addict
    what i meant was
    when will there be a second batch
    u know "for overclocking" like u said

or should i just get a 480 now
    the best overclocking fermi's are available today. as nvidia revises the silicon they will tighten the channels to prevent leakage, and leakage is what makes the card such a clocker! tightening the channels will bring down power consumption and heat but you won't have much headroom for extra mhz.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    the best overclocking fermi's are available today. as nvidia revises the silicon they will tighten the channels to prevent leakage, and leakage is what makes the card such a clocker! tightening the channels will bring down power consumption and heat but you won't have much headroom for extra mhz.
    wait wait wait

ur saying leakage is good for overclockers ??????????

waaaaaa

provide proof please

Banned
    ASUS is the card you want. Overclock like mad on water

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Zeus View Post
    ASUS is the card you want. Overclock like mad on water

Thanks for the advice

Why do you choose one brand over the other? Does it make a difference? Is one brand better the other?

I noticed that the products from usa, canada are custom taxed in ireland compare to the ones from other countries.

That is why PNY and EVGA are much expensive to ASUS, GIGABYTE and MSI.
    Last edited by marxviper; 04-28-2010 at 05:27 PM.

They are all the exact same cards. The differences in price are related to warranty coverage and/or anything that is bundled with the card, or if it comes with a non-reference cooler (and apparently tax depending on where they are being shipped to and from). Any performance/OC'ing differences are negligible and are just plain luck of the draw. Just get whatever brand you are most comfortable with.
    Help Save Lives Join World Community Grid!

| GA-EX UD4P (228mhz max stable bclk)| i7 920 D0 3903A468 (24/7=4.2ghz@1.26v. bench stable=4.78ghz@1.45v) |
    | GTX275 (+Vmod, max 790mhz core @ 1.24v) or SLI @Stock | OCZ3G1600LV6GK (6GB=3x2GB) | WD Raptor's + WD 1TB Blacks | OCZ ModStream 700w |

Xtreme X.I.P.
    wait wait wait

ur saying leakage is good for overclockers ??????????

waaaaaa

provide proof please
    well, not leakage alone...
    it has to be a good chip...
    if its a good chip, and its high leakage, that means it can only be clocked to a very low frequency... makes sense?
    that means it will have to be priced low, as its not that fast as this low frequency... again, makes sense right?
    IF its a good design, then heat will be the only problem, and once you cool it properly, it will overclock really well...

so yeah, leakage CAN be good for overclockers... its not always, but it def can be!

that asus card is handpicked im pretty sure...
    theres 0 difference between the current batches of cards afaik... nada...
    so anybody who wants to watercool, id actually recommend evga or any other vendor who sells cards with waterblock installed, so you dont lose your warranty

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    well, not leakage alone...
    it has to be a good chip...
    if its a good chip, and its high leakage, that means it can only be clocked to a very low frequency... makes sense?
    that means it will have to be priced low, as its not that fast as this low frequency... again, makes sense right?
    IF its a good design, then heat will be the only problem, and once you cool it properly, it will overclock really well...

so yeah, leakage CAN be good for overclockers... its not always, but it def can be!

that asus card is handpicked im pretty sure...
    theres 0 difference between the current batches of cards afaik... nada...
    so anybody who wants to watercool, id actually recommend evga or any other vendor who sells cards with waterblock installed, so you dont lose your warranty
    thx for the info
    uve been here since 2002 and uve got 32000+ posts
    damn i have a long way to go
    u probably seen many fails on this forum
    the stories u have must be endless
    Last edited by owned666; 04-29-2010 at 04:29 PM.