Thread: Preorder Now, Prices Already Going Up

Xtreme Member

Exclamation Preorder Now, Prices Already Going Up

If you want to ensure that you will have a GTX470 or GTX480 on launch day, you should preorder now. Most likely, supplies will dwindle after the initial batch of cards, and prices will skyrocket.

Amazon, the only major retailer still taking preorders, has already raised prices on the GTX470 variants by $30. Personally, I preorded one from Amazon, but I will also try to snag one on launch day if the prices are lower. If I can't find one, the extra $30 is a small price to pay especially considering how hard the cards may be to find for several weeks after launch.
    Regards,
    Chris

Core i7 920 3931A318 4.4GHz 1.375vcore | EVGA X58 Classified E760 | EVGA GTX470 1280MB | Corsair Dominator GT 7-8-7-20 1688MHz | Heatkiller 3.0 CU and Feser xChanger 480 | Seasonic M12 (Soon to be replaced)

Xtreme Mentor
    Why not just wait till June or even August?
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Enthusiast
    With talk of a smaller die chip available possibly by late fall to early winter, I see no reason to jump on any of the first Fermis, be it via preorder or otherwise. I've been holding off building my new rig since end of '07, and am getting tired of not being able to play some of the games that release, but I don't relish the idea of my unairconditioned apt rising 10 degrees in the warm months either. And if the prices on other cards don't drop to allow me a suitable hold me over card until the die shrink, well I'll just wait a bit longer.

I've always thought gaming is a luxury to enjoy in one's leisure time, not an obsession to let drive you. Ideally you make gaming tech work for you, rather than jumping through hoops for it. Even if I were to find a good price on a MK-13, 480 water block, whatever, I see no scenario in setting up a 480 where I'd be glad I bought it after a much more efficient chip came out, at which point no one would be interested in these first ones anymore. I tip my hat to these early adopters whom are helping them improve their product, but I can't afford to be one, not on my budget. What I buy I need to be satisfied with for at least a few yrs, and I can't be sure of that with these cards.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 04-04-2010 at 02:05 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well frag, I sort of see your point. But sorta don't.. if you wait, youll always be waiting.

And u can't afford to be a early adopter cuz you don't know if it will last a few years. Of course it will, they can handle the heat. And as long as you go evga or BFG you'll have a warranty that will cover you no matter what happens. Might as well get one now, if it dies in 6 months you'll get another with warranty. And if they have the 485 out by then you can step up to the new card for some goodness.

I pulled the trigger at normal prices
    Project HAF 932 Water-Cooled

New OC Validation

- Q9650 4.0 Ghz For Now -
    - GTZ, Feser 360, D5 Vario, EK Multi-Option -
    - eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - eVGA GTX 480 H20 & GTX 295 -
    - 2x2GB Dominators PC2-8500C5D -
    - WDCaviar Black 640GB AALS x2 (Raid0) -
    - FreeAgent Pro 500GB Ext x2 -
    - Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w PSU -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -
    - Dell U2410 IPS LCD -
    - Logitech G11 & MX-518 /G9 -
    - Sony 24x Optical w/ LightScribe -
    - BOSE Companion 3 -
    - ATH-AD900 Cans & UE Triple.Fi 10 Custom IEM's -
    - Nikon D40 w/18-105mm & 55-200mm VR's -

I am Addicted!
    what are pre-order prices supposed to be? $350/$500 right? fry's still has the evga gtx 470 for pre-order $350. I'm sure in about a month you will be able to get these for retail, which I believe is pre-order pricing. I think I will wait till they have rebates and hopefully get one from TD wih 12-15%cb

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    what are pre-order prices supposed to be? $350/$500 right? fry's still has the evga gtx 470 for pre-order $350. I'm sure in about a month you will be able to get these for retail, which I believe is pre-order pricing. I think I will wait till they have rebates and hopefully get one from TD wih 12-15%cb
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll pull the trigger on that and cancel the amazon order.

I didn't want this to become a debate on whether it was worth it or not, but my mentality is that if you are always waiting, you will never buy anything because there will always be something better around the corner.
    Regards,
    Chris

Core i7 920 3931A318 4.4GHz 1.375vcore | EVGA X58 Classified E760 | EVGA GTX470 1280MB | Corsair Dominator GT 7-8-7-20 1688MHz | Heatkiller 3.0 CU and Feser xChanger 480 | Seasonic M12 (Soon to be replaced)

Xtreme Mentor
    Nvidia have cut down the GPU anyway most likely to improve yields so hopefully they can meet demand. Fermi already has a poor price to performance ratio, so if they get more expensive and hard to get, I don't see people paying for them instead of purchasing an ATi alternative.

Personally I'm waiting for them to bring out a full 512sp card and I'll see how that does, I'm not paying top dollar at release for a cut down version (GTX480), or an even more cut down version (GTX470).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't agree the price/performance is as bad as many say. If you look at a lot of benches the 1920x1200 on a 480 ends up being about 18% faster overall than a 5870, with what, about $500 vs $420 pricing, making it about 19% more expensive, and that's launch MSRP on the 480 vs street pricing on the 5870 well after it's launch. No, it's not the pricing that's off, it's this damn heat and noise thing, that's what I can't get around.

I know what xgun is saying on the constantly waiting if you don't buy bit, but honestly, a little more waiting vs the over two yrs I've already waited is going to finally put me into the "Ferm"entation of great new tech I think. I feel Nvidia's next revision could make these original Fermis look like Vista does against W7. The biggest question is, should I go ahead and build most of what I want now, and get a hold me over GPU that I can maybe at least use as a PhysX card later?

It's getting to the point where an increasing number of games that come out I can't play due to not meeting the reqs, but I also hate the idea of buying a GPU then not much later find it not nearly as good of a buy had I just waited a bit, unless I get it dirt cheap. Anyone know of refurbed 9800 GTs going for real cheap, like $50 or something?
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 04-04-2010 at 11:39 AM.