Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TDK roadmap suggests 2.5TB HDDs are just around the corner

Xtreme Mentor
    $500 at least!
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Xtreme Guru
    Doubt it, I'd say $250~$299 for 2.5TB and $350(~+$20) for 3TB. Normal "entry-level" 2TB disks are around $180 atm, as usual all new things have to fit into the already consisting price range of the rest, yes the big HDDs usually come with a price premium but I already took that into account if comparing to $180 2TB drives.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 02-08-2010 at 03:08 PM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Oj101 View Post
    So partition the drive for a nippy ~80GB Windows drive and the rest as storage
    Won't work. In order to Windows to see >2TB you need to use a GUID partition table (GPT). Windows cannot boot off w/o using an EFI system. It has nothing to do w/ partition sizes.

If you use MBR you are going to be limited to 2TB.

Very nice, I always like seeing big HDDs, better for me buying the smaller drives (1tb hehe)

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Won't work. In order to Windows to see >2TB you need to use a GUID partition table (GPT). Windows cannot boot off w/o using an EFI system. It has nothing to do w/ partition sizes.

If you use MBR you are going to be limited to 2TB.
    Please do explain? Is this not like the 2GB/4GB limit of FAT16 where dividing it up would allow you to use the full drive?
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Oj101 View Post
    Please do explain? Is this not like the 2GB/4GB limit of FAT16 where dividing it up would allow you to use the full drive?
    No. It has nothing to do w/ the partition itself. But the partition table. Master Boot Record (MBR) partition tables have a limitation of 2TB. Any driver over that size and it will only be able to partition the 2TB of it.

GUID Partition Table (GPT) doesn't have this limitation. However only systems w/ EFI will be able to boot from a hard drive w/ GPT partitioning. So unless you have a Mac you won't be able to do it currently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Pa...support_of_GPT

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    also 750GB & 1TB 2.5" has been around for a few months already..
    2.5 inches is easier. You have to be able to read the data on the farthest edge as well Additionally most 2.5 inch drives are 5.400 rpm or even slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    TDK makes hard drives?
    I wondered the same oO
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    I wondered the same oO
    The very first line of the article...
    Hard drive head manufacturer TDK
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    'Doh. Me reading = fail But at least I got something else to blame! #cheers
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Addict
    No. It has nothing to do w/ the partition itself. But the partition table. Master Boot Record (MBR) partition tables have a limitation of 2TB. Any driver over that size and it will only be able to partition the 2TB of it.

GUID Partition Table (GPT) doesn't have this limitation. However only systems w/ EFI will be able to boot from a hard drive w/ GPT partitioning. So unless you have a Mac you won't be able to do it currently.

oh the issue i was having with that when i was trying to set up my 8GB+ raid array. using a 2.5-3TB drive for storage and OS seems a bit silly though. unless for some reason you can only have 1 hdd in your pc, i see no point in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

msi and super micro have efi boards, and u can make a raid partition for your OS then the rest for data, its not like any sane person would have a 2TB+ OS partition
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    I wondered the same oO
    So everyone is discussing a road map for a non existent product line....

Xtreme Addict
    So everyone is discussing a road map for a non existent product line....

roadmaps are there to show people whats comming in a near future....

Back from the Dead
    +1 - I hate this .5TB bulldust

What? Where? I know there are 750GB ones (I have one), but 1TB? Don't see any @ my distro's...
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    What? Where? I know there are 750GB ones (I have one), but 1TB? Don't see any @ my distro's...
    ah yes, well theres where the 'hate' comes in toward WD - announced last year, but availability? rarer than chooks teeth
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Addict
    +1 - I hate this .5TB bulldust

I for one like the ".5 TB" sizes, as I'm OCD and like to have over a terabyte of actual available space when I buy a drive that is supposed to be 1TB or larger. I suppose that didn't stop me from buying the 1TB WD Green though...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    roadmaps are there to show people whats comming in a near future....
    From a company that doesn't even make hard drives. Right. TDK is going to just spawn these things from another plane.

Xtreme Member
    Over the mountains and down in the valley
    From a company that doesn't even make hard drives. Right. TDK is going to just spawn these things from another plane.
    Did you read the opening post?

Hard drive head manufacturer TDK
    This has been covered already in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    using a OCed quad for torrenting is like robbing your local video store with a rocket launcher.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by saint-francis View Post
    Did you read the opening post?

This has been covered already in this thread.
    My bad, missed the word "head". I still question this, but at least it makes a bit more sense now :p

Xtreme X.I.P.
    This limitation only happens if the sector size stays at the current 512 bytes.
    2^32 * 512 = 2TB (the MBR limit).
    If they increase the sector size to 4KB (4096) bytes, overall HDD size limit would become 8 times bigger - 16TB.
    Or am I missing something?
    Member of Overclockers.com Folding @ Home team
    "<The_Coolest> you can't unwaste wasted CPU cycles" - Start FOLDing now!
    Main rig:
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700X / Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 / EVO 970 500GB + WD Blue 250GB + HDD / GPU: Dell RX 570 4GB / Mem: 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill 32GTZKW TridentZ - 32GB total / PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W
    Secondary rigs:
    Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.3GHz (Scythe Mugen2) / Mobo: Biostar TP67XE / 2x Inland Pro 120GB / GPU: HD5450 / Mem: 4x4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 8GBXL RipJawsX - 16GB total / PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W.
    Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 4.0GHz (Freezer 7 Pro) / Mobo: MSI H55M-ED55 / GPU: Integrated / Mem: 4x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill 4GBRL RipJaws - 8GB total / PSU: Antec 380W.

Core Temp - Accurate temperature monitor for Intel's Core/Core 2 and AMD64 processors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12