Thread: DDC PWM input???

Xtreme Member

DDC PWM input???

I was reading the DDC spec sheet at laing's website http://lainginc.itt.com/pdf/DDCSpecSheet_web.pdf and I saw this :

Electronics
    Embedded microprocessor control is self regulating and available with variable speed with PWM input or dial control (potentiometer) on the pump.

Does this mean that the DDC can actually be regulated with PWM?

i think that it can, but 1) why would u want to do that its not noisy and u can get a 9W and mod a switch to go from 9 to 18W if u wanted control over rpm and 2) i dont know about with pwm controllers but with voltage controllers u can easily degrade them and then they quit starting at low voltage until they just nolonger start
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    Well "decoupled" DDC pumps are very quiet but some do make a sort of electrical high pitch whining which is very annoying. I am saying electrical but it might be something else .

Most automatic controller are analog only, which IMHO is a lot better for fans (no annoying clicking sound) however few can handle a DDC or D5. PWM controllers generate a lot less heat and can handle a lot more power.

And it could possibly be regulated by the motherboard without any controller. It just opens up more options.

I am Xtreme
    NEWS FLASH!

Yes the DDC is PWM capable. Gabe had one in a system @ CES and is thoroughly testing it before bringing them to market.

There has been a bit of confusion as of late about being able to mod the 3.1 as it now comes with a completely revised PCB that resembles the 3.25. I have a "old" 3.1, "new" 3.1, and 3.25 and I am in the process of trying to figure things out but so far the weather is not cooperating with me so I can do my "wet testing" (static head pressure) before ripping the pumps apart to check the circuitry.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Chasing After Diety
    As i said in the previous thread...

Gabe was showing one off.

I think i told you guys all the info im allowed to tell ya, without spoiling it for gabe.

But it was a 4 wire ddc.

2 -> 12V
    1 -> RPM
    1 -> PWM

The RPM and PWM pins u connect onto the board to get PWM.

The 2 would go into your PSU, so you dont have any chance of frying your Mobo header out.
    What was asked a lot is in regards to its life.

PWM kills, its not something that saves eq. And a pump is something thats best left on, with little on and off cycles as possible.
    So, it makes sense for gabe to test out the PWM pumps b4 he introduces them on the market.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    As i said in the previous thread...

Gabe was showing one off.

I think i told you guys all the info im allowed to tell ya, without spoiling it for gabe.

But it was a 4 wire ddc.

2 -> 12V
    1 -> RPM
    1 -> PWM

The RPM and PWM pins u connect onto the board to get PWM.

The 2 would go into your PSU, so you dont have any chance of frying your Mobo header out.
    What was asked a lot is in regards to its life.

PWM kills, its not something that saves eq. And a pump is something thats best left on, with little on and off cycles as possible.
    So, it makes sense for gabe to test out the PWM pumps b4 he introduces them on the market.
    Have you seen the new PCB's?. . .I think those PWM models may already in the wild, they just need to be modified. This "may" be one of the things I test out on mine.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Never go full retard
    The PWM DDC PCB's are in the wild... Koolance DDC3.25's use the PWM PCB, they just chose to use the standard 2 power and 1 RPM leeds, but it can quickly be modded to run full blown PWM.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    The PWM DDC PCB's are in the wild... Koolance DDC3.25's use the PWM PCB, they just chose to use the standard 2 power and 1 RPM leeds, but it can quickly be modded to run full blown PWM.
    is the wasntme comment face directed at me to try since i have 2 of those puppys?

Xtreme Member
    If you look at the pdf file I linked in the OP it says : "effective August 2008" so I guess that all pcb from that date are PWM capable.

In terms of "killing" the pump, if it is designed to work with PWM, I would hope it won't be killed.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
    In terms of "killing" the pump, if it is designed to work with PWM, I would hope it won't be killed.
    they say the same things on pwm fans.. but they have the highest RMA rate over any fans..

Xtreme Cruncher
    If you throw a capacitor (inductor helps too) onto some regular PWM controller and hook it to your pump, the power will come out pretty smooth.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
    If you throw a capacitor (inductor helps too) onto some regular PWM controller and hook it to your pump, the power will come out pretty smooth.
    I thought an inductor and a capacitor did the same thing, in terms of storing charge, just that an inductor does the whole reverse current thing when it discharges?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    How solid is that information skinnee?. . .and just for confirmation, this is the PCB your referring to, correct?

If this is one of the PWM PCB's, I'll just skip the wet testing and see if I can figure out what makes my 3.1 variant different from my 3.25.

Edit: Scratch that bit about skipping wet testing, I still need to figure static head pressure.
    Last edited by Waterlogged; 02-03-2010 at 12:36 AM.
    Circles SucQ!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I haven't studied magnetism in Physics C thoroughly yet, but no they're not the same. A capacitor stores energy by inducing charge separation when a voltage is applied, while inductors store energy by magnetic fields. An inductor "blocks" current because when current flows through it a magnetic field is induced that opposes the flow of current. This is just some guess, but I think the inductor helps to limit the current at the higher applied voltage while the capacitor charges.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    How solid is that information skinnee?. . .and just for confirmation, this is the PCB your referring to, correct?

If this is one of the PWM PCB's, I'll just skip the wet testing and see if I can figure out what makes my 3.1 variant different from my 3.25.

Edit: Scratch that bit about skipping wet testing, I still need to figure static head pressure.
    yeah, same PCB I have. I don't have verification from Laing or Koolance, but going off of the traces and the PCB silkscreen.

edit: and yeah, I still need to run PQ on the 3.25 to see what/if there is a performance difference.

It's been a couple of months on this and wanted to check and see if there was any progress / do able. I have two mcp355 that are dated built 12/09, can get newer if needed but would like to try and run them off a BigNG.

Thanks
    Amd 64 3200
    Chaintech ZNF3-150
    2x256 Mushkin PC3500 lvl 2
    2 WD Raptor raid lvl 0
    Asus 9800xt w/ dual 15cfm delta
    Mach II w/ 64/fx kit
    PC Power & Cooling 510watt Deluxe

Xtreme Enthusiast
    what pwm ddc gives over the classic one?

Intel Xeon W3520 4200MHz HT
    Foxconn Bloodrage
    3x2Gb Patriot Viper II DDR3-1600 6-6-6-16
    MSI GTX480 M2D15 850/1700/2000
    Samsung F1 1TB
    Corsair TX950W
    Stacker 832 w/ Dual Loop Watercooling aka *Bong Build*
    NEC 2690WUXi
    Loop 1: Laing DDC1-T -> Watercool HK 3.0 LT -> Thermochill PA120.3 -> Bloodrage NB -> EK Res 150
    Loop 2: Laing DDC1-T -> EK-FC GTX480 -> Thermochill PA120.2 -> EK Res 150

*New* CM 690 II Advanced Watercooled

*Coming soon* Stacker 832 Rebirth!

I'm looking at running a: mCubed FanController T-Balancer / mNG.
    I already have the larger version for fans but if I could put two 18W DDCs on one of these then I would be set.
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...oducts_id=4501

The specs show that in PWM mode I should be able to run both DDCs off one of these controlled by the software on the large T-Balancer.
    50W output per channel in the PWM mode, combines 100W
    20W output per channel in the analog mode, combines 25W

Thanks
    Amd 64 3200
    Chaintech ZNF3-150
    2 WD Raptor raid lvl 0
    Mach II w/ 64/fx kit

Checking to see if anybody has an update. I've email Gabe at Swiftech but didn't get a response. Would be nice to know if it in the works and a guess at a timeline.

Thanks
    Amd 64 3200
    Chaintech ZNF3-150
    2 WD Raptor raid lvl 0
    Mach II w/ 64/fx kit

Checking to see if anybody has an update. I've email Gabe at Swiftech but didn't get a response. Would be nice to know if it in the works and a guess at a timeline.

Thanks
    Amd 64 3200
    Chaintech ZNF3-150
    2 WD Raptor raid lvl 0
    Mach II w/ 64/fx kit

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus104 View Post

Thanks
    didn't get an email from you..

Still working on it. ITT (multi-billion $ Co) having acquired Laing a few months back, is making things horribly slow right now :-(
    CEO Swiftech