Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plextor PX-128M1S 128GB SSD Reviews

I am Xtreme
    WTF is up w/ pcstats results. They really botched those Iometer tests. The results they show the Seagate 2TB drive getting are higher than a lot of SSD's out there. 3191.53 random 4k reads out of a mechanical drive? Riiight.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    WTF is up w/ pcstats results. They really botched those Iometer tests. The results they show the Seagate 2TB drive getting are higher than a lot of SSD's out there. 3191.53 random 4k reads out of a mechanical drive? Riiight.
    It's a SATA 3 drive, but I don't know if that would influence the results that much.

Anyway, the SSD looks nice, but the performance is crap with no TRIM support. /pass.

Quote Originally Posted by noroger View Post
    It's a SATA 3 drive, but I don't know if that would influence the results that much.

Anyway, the SSD looks nice, but the performance is crap with no TRIM support. /pass.
    that seagate drive is slower all round to the WD re4 and it gets no ware near that, sata6 only affects throughput and not on a mechanical (atleast not yet)
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    that seagate drive is slower all round to the WD re4 and it gets no ware near that, sata6 only affects throughput and not on a mechanical (atleast not yet)
    On an unrelated note, I wish people would stick to one thing to call sata3. I work at a computer store, and I get so many different variations on it >_>. Doesn't help at ALL that sata2 has a 3gbps transfer rate either, so the two get confused all the time, argghhh.

Yeah, /rant. No TRIM = no buyzz : [.
    Asus P6T SE || 965 XE @ 4.0GHz [currently OCing]|| OCz DDR3 Plat 3x2Gb 1600 7-7-7-20
    2x Sapphire HD4850 CrossfireX || WD VelociRaptor 300GB || Antec Quattro 1kW PSU

-------------------------------------------------
    Cooling:
    D-Tek FuZion v2 || Swiftech MCR320 || MCP355 w\ XSPC Res Top || Scythe S-Flexes

Quote Originally Posted by Zigosity View Post
    On an unrelated note, I wish people would stick to one thing to call sata3. I work at a computer store, and I get so many different variations on it >_>. Doesn't help at ALL that sata2 has a 3gbps transfer rate either, so the two get confused all the time, argghhh.

Yeah, /rant. No TRIM = no buyzz : [.
    the official name for sata v3 is sata6, i do feel your pain though. they should have used letters to denote it like wifi
    Last edited by zanzabar; 03-24-2010 at 08:23 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Member
    the official name for sata v3 is sata6, i do feel your pain though. they should have used letters to denote it
    Good to know ^^. Motherboard makers (at least gigabyte and asus) don't seem to use that one on their boxes, though, making it even more confusing for me (and customers -_-). They're big fans of 'Sata 3.0!'
    Asus P6T SE || 965 XE @ 4.0GHz [currently OCing]|| OCz DDR3 Plat 3x2Gb 1600 7-7-7-20
    2x Sapphire HD4850 CrossfireX || WD VelociRaptor 300GB || Antec Quattro 1kW PSU

-------------------------------------------------
    Cooling:
    D-Tek FuZion v2 || Swiftech MCR320 || MCP355 w\ XSPC Res Top || Scythe S-Flexes

XS_THE_MACHINE
    the official name for sata v3 is sata6, i do feel your pain though. they should have used letters to denote it like wifi
    Actually the official name for SATA Revision 3.x is SATA 6Gb/s.

http://www.sata-io.org/developers/naming_guidelines.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    I have a feeling that in 5 years. WD, Seagate etc will be some unknown names.
    (Posted by Shintai, 08-18-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by krille View Post
    Actually the official name for SATA Revision 3.x is SATA 6Gb/s.

http://www.sata-io.org/developers/naming_guidelines.asp
    so they changed it again since last summer, but for a product it says sata6Gb/s, so sata6 would be the logical trim down

Xtreme X.I.P.
    plextor? ssd?

Xtreme Addict
    Kingston SSD?
    Sandisk SSD?
    Seagate SSD?
    SuperTalent SSD?
    GSkill SSD?
    Corsair SSD?
    Patriot SSD?

...etc

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

Xtreme Gamer
    Optical media is dying, Plextor needs to make money somehow.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by jmke View Post
    Kingston SSD?
    Sandisk SSD?
    Seagate SSD?
    SuperTalent SSD?
    GSkill SSD?
    Corsair SSD?
    Patriot SSD?

...etc
    Haha, so funny yet so true.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Kingston SSD?
    Sandisk SSD?
    Seagate SSD?
    SuperTalent SSD?
    GSkill SSD?
    Corsair SSD?
    Patriot SSD?

...etc
    yeah iots funny how many companies are selling ssds all the sudden...
    but whats so confusing about memory makers selling memory?
    just cause its a different chip and a differently shaped pcb? going optical to memory chips is quite a jump

Xtreme Addict
    What's so confusing about a storage maker selling SSDs?
    Just because it's a different chip and different pcb?

I am Xtreme
    What's so confusing about a storage maker selling SSDs?
    Just because it's a different chip and different pcb?
    i think its just proof that there is a good amount of profit in SSDs and everyones jumping ship. the fact we still dont have budget controllers packed with massive quantity of NAND chips shows they are trying hard to keep the most profit per unit, instead of giving the customer what they want. i mean honestly when a drive is called ultra affordable, but goes for 5$ less than the previous one, it shows their clear intentions trying to keep SSDs as a luxury item.

i would love to see a SSD that has no controller and is managed by the CPU, a slight loss in processing power, for 50$ off the SSD price, hells yea, imagine i put 50$ more into a cpu, upgrade for 2.8 to 3.2ghz or something, and those extra 400mhz (across 4 cores) can easily handle the hard drives, and when its done working with the drive, that extra power sure wont hurt anything else on the PC.

Xtreme Addict
    Manicdan, I know that. I find it odd that Saaya doesn't.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i think its just proof that there is a good amount of profit in SSDs and everyones jumping ship. the fact we still dont have budget controllers packed with massive quantity of NAND chips shows they are trying hard to keep the most profit per unit, instead of giving the customer what they want. i mean honestly when a drive is called ultra affordable, but goes for 5$ less than the previous one, it shows their clear intentions trying to keep SSDs as a luxury item.

i would love to see a SSD that has no controller and is managed by the CPU, a slight loss in processing power, for 50$ off the SSD price, hells yea, imagine i put 50$ more into a cpu, upgrade for 2.8 to 3.2ghz or something, and those extra 400mhz (across 4 cores) can easily handle the hard drives, and when its done working with the drive, that extra power sure wont hurt anything else on the PC.
    You'd be suprised actually..
    The price of SSDs are all in the NAND flash, NOT in the controller.
    The controllers on the active market cost $4-$25.
    A particularly popular controller in the retail segment right now costs between $12-$15.

The rest of the cost is in the NAND chips- and the profit margin isn't 50% or something ridiculous like that.. (except for our military/industrial grade SSDs, but that's a different story )

The most expensive controller on the open market is $100-110, but that one isn't officially available yet (hint hint).
    "Red Dwarf", SFF gaming PC
    Winner of the ASUS Xtreme Design Competition
    Sponsors...ASUS, Swiftech, Intel, Samsung, G.Skill, Antec, Razer
    Hardware..[Maximus III GENE, Core i7-860 @ 4.1Ghz, 4GB DDR3-2200, HD5870, 256GB SSD]
    Water.......[Apogee XT CPU, MCW60-R2 GPU, 2x 240mm radiators, MCP350 pump]

Xtreme X.I.P.
    mechanical storage and chip storage is way different tech...
    its like boeing selling trains... trains and planes are both mass transportation mediums but are based on completely different tech...

i dont think the plextor brand will work very well for ssds... but maybe thats just me...
    for normal users who dont know how diferent storage devices work it might make perfect sense...

Xtreme Addict
    i dont think the plextor brand will work very well for ssds...
    all them need is one partnership with a large OEM to get the ball rolling;
    also all shops who currently have Plextor products can easily adds SSDs to their offerings without having to look for a new vendor or make new deals;
    Plextor is already a storage household name for most shops, so adding SSDs to their lineup is not that far-fetched an idea.

+we all know optical media is a dying breed
    +plextor doesn't do usb sticks
    +if they intend to be still around in 20 yrs, they better invest in next gen products

BluRay is good for consoles/home theater; on PCs no game will be released on BR, and for backup purposes it's just too expensive for offline storage, compared to low cost online HDD storage.

for normal users who dont know how diferent storage devices work it might make perfect sense...
    define "normal" ?
    as in... majority?

Quote Originally Posted by yaddam205 View Post
    Optical media is dying, Plextor needs to make money somehow.
    ^^ this Saaya
    Last edited by jmke; 03-26-2010 at 03:12 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    also all shops who currently have Plextor products...
    such as? i havent seen plextor product of any kind in ages... the last i saw was a cd writer...

define "normal" ?
    as in... majority?
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/normal
    conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
    :P

^^ this Saaya
    so? via is dying as well, so what, you wouldnt be surprised seeing via ssds?
    come on, you cant tell me that for you its not odd to see brands jump from one product range to another...

hey, if they bring some new tech or good price perf to the market im all in favor of plextor ssds, dont get me wrong! but since plextor has no experience in this kind of tech whatsoever and dont have any prorietary tech to offer better price, perf or price perf or reliability... these ssds will most likely just be rebadged oem drives with an added price for the plextor brand... which means itll most likely fail.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    such as? i havent seen plextor product of any kind in ages...
    not my problem you're living under a rock
    http://www.alternate.de/html/solr/se...or&pageSize=25

so? via is dying as well, so what, you wouldnt be surprised seeing via ssds?
    yes VIA is all about storage solutions.

hey, if they bring some new tech or good price perf to the market im all in favor of plextor ssds,
    there ya go. the more competition the better.

dont get me wrong! but since plextor has no experience in this kind of tech whatsoever and dont have any prorietary tech to offer better price, perf or price perf or reliability... these ssds will most likely just be rebadged oem drives with an added price for the plextor brand... which means itll most likely fail.
    very few SSD selling companies on the market use proprietary tech; so one more/less copy-paste won't break anything. What it might do is drive price down overall, so...

Xtreme News & Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post

No what I want is a drive without a controller that I can have a RAID controller handle. Think about if Areca and LSI just made one of their RAID Controllers allow you to connect a NAND device over SAS/SATA that was managed by their 400+MHz Intel IOP processer not to mention the benefits of the 256-512MB Cache of the controller itself. This you would only have to worry about the firmware of the controller supporting TRIM and other technologies.

Think of it as a build your own SSD type of kit.
    Desktop
    AMD Phenom II X2 550 (Quad Unlocked @ 3.4Ghz / 2200Mhz NB)
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P (F9 Bios)
    8GB (4x2GB) @ DDR2-800
    ASUS GeForce GTX 560 Ti DirectCUII (920/1840/2200)
    Corsair Force GT 120GB
    LSI MegaRAID 8408E (3x750 R5)
    Windows 7 x64 SP1

Cisco E2000 with DD-WRT kernel 2.6

Xtreme Mentor
    Kingston SSD?
    Sandisk SSD?
    Seagate SSD?
    SuperTalent SSD?
    GSkill SSD?
    Corsair SSD?
    Patriot SSD?

...etc
    They all use similar chips and controllers (Indilinx for the most part) and prices have not gone down at all with the relative economy of scale....I smell price fixing or collusion.
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

Xtreme Mentor
    Plextor = BenQ or some other brand that bought them out. Plextor aint what it use to be. It can no longer charge 60 for a DVD burner when everyone else is charging 20 to 30.
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block