Thread: ipod nano any good

Wandersome Cruncher

ipod nano any good

Personally don't buy into the Apple style over substance hype.........but my daughter wants a nano for her birthday.

1: Are they any good?
    2: Should I buy the latest gen (5th?) or are they all much the same?

Visit The Boinc Bar Today

Boinc Boinc......The first 50 mil is the hardest!
    POEM U.K number one.....woot

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    Who cares if it's any good? You'll make your daughter happy as can be with the latest, shiniest, coolest Apple iPod Nano.

She'll take it out of her pocket, and her friends will stare in envy/jealousy/awe/etc. And she'll be thinking to herself... thanks pops!

*note: Personally, I stay away from apple products, but this is your daughter we're talking about.

Xtreme Member
    How old is your daughter? :P Ok seriously though. Cause if she's under 10 then it'll get broken in a month. If she's in her teens(more than likely if she wants a Nano) then it's a good buy for the reason m0da stated, it'll make her happy. Whether it's good or not doesn't matter to your daughter and when she opens her present and see's it's not an ipod, saying "but this one is better" is going to fly through one ear and out the other. She'll be inferior to all her friends who have an ipod. She'll be laughed at, shunned, and start doing drugs.

Buy her the Nano, make sure it's the 16GB(the hideously expensive one with more space than she'll need, but it'll make her cool cause she has the 16GB) and for all that you hold dear to you make sure it's the right colour. If you get the colour wrong only the Lord can help you, hell have no fury like a p*ssed off teenage daughter. Say goodbye to your golf clubs, car tired, manly magazines and your comfy chair in the den.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryba View Post
    I don't carre about PCMark - it's for gays with moustache
    A Stranger's thoughts...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yes, its good, its very very good. If anyone tells you other wise thats just the bias talking...

The most important thing is shell love it, this isnt a good forum to ask since everyone hates apple regardless as to whether their good or not

If you really want to know go to apple's site and read about it, and most importantly read the customer reviews and ask nano owners

Q9300 [Crunch] / XFX GTX285 [Fold] / EVGA 750i
    Two 250GB 7200 / 4GB XMS2 800 / 1Kw XPS PSU / Freezer Pro 7
    10,797 3DMark Vantage / Scythe 120mm Case fans / Vista U. 64
    PS3 - 700 Work Units and going strong!, XPS 720 H2C Case
    Crunching 24/7 on Q9300....might upgrade to an i7

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSRboy View Post
    Yes, its good, its very very good. If anyone tells you other wise thats just the bias talking...

The most important thing is shell love it, this isnt a good forum to ask since everyone hates apple regardless as to whether their good or not

If you really want to know go to apple's site and read about it, and most importantly read the customer reviews and ask nano owners
    not true, apple makes some good products. BUT in this area I don't find they excel at all. itunes is horrid software.
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Wandersome Cruncher
    Lol thanks guys.

She understands the way I think and my character must have rubbed off some cos now she's realised she already has a cool £300 phone with a shedload of storage and now just wants some hip headphones for that instead

I will concede to her bad taste and not get her good ones but the **** Skullcandy's she fancies.....and yes, I know what colour to get

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaio View Post
    Lol thanks guys.

She understands the way I think and my character must have rubbed off some cos now she's realised she already has a cool £300 phone with a shedload of storage and now just wants some hip headphones for that instead

I will concede to her bad taste and not get her good ones but the **** Skullcandy's she fancies.....and yes, I know what colour to get
    I had to buy my sister and girlfriend(both in their teens) Skullcandy headphones last year.

Me: "But don't you want Sennheiser headphones instead? They're better and I don't mind paying a little extra."

Sister: "If you don't get me skullcandy headphones I'll beat you with a stick!"

Girlfriend: "If you want to get any for the next 6 months you'll buy me Skullcandy headphones."

My hands were tied.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryba View Post
    I don't carre about PCMark - it's for gays with moustache
    A Stranger's thoughts...

Wandersome Cruncher
    Thanks for the feedback

Ordered her Skullcandy Hesh green.......as she requested....yuk.

and a pair of Shure SRH440's for me.

Tired of the sound of a zillion rig fans all day and night.....drown them out with music

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sennheiser and shure are better then skull candy imo.
    Sound really nice with an archo player that supports flac.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaio View Post
    Thanks for the feedback

Ordered her Skullcandy Hesh green.......as she requested....yuk.

and a pair of Shure SRH440's for me.

Tired of the sound of a zillion rig fans all day and night.....drown them out with music
    I heard those Shure SRH440 the other day.
    Acoustic music is so great on them that the hair on my neck stood up.
    They isolate very well too. The whole design is flexible and robust.

You will love them.
    Hardware
    • Core i5 750 @ 3.6Ghz (180x20)
    • Scythe Zipang 2
    • 4x2Gb DDR3 (1080@7-7-7-16, 1.65v)
    • Gigabyte P55-UD2
    • EVGA GTX 260, Corsair 550VX, mATX case

Audio/Video
    • Samsung LN32A550 32" 1080p LCD
    • Asus Xonar Essence STX
      1. Denon AH-D2000
      2. Sony STR-DE197 -> Polk Audio M10