Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: --- r e f l e X i o n ---

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
    You're dang right they're real. Tell me you guys don't think that I'm still chugging away on renders over here. My 3ds skills aren't that good.

m411b wins the prize. He found the shot w/ the clue.

Here's another hint.

A mirrored window, Reflexion.

And if that's not a reflexion, then you're left handed.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by m411b View Post
    Very impressive work Xion X2. I wish I had half the skill you do with metal.
    You're too kind, but I appreciate the compliment all the same. I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to metalwork, but I feel good about the progress I've been able to make in a short span.

And for the side panel, that one's alllll Mike at ADCUT. He deserves the credit for that one.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Weevil View Post
    A mirrored window, Reflexion.

Backing the graphic is an acrylic mirror. Those white squares some of you were thinking was a window were actually the reflection of one of my softboxes.

Secret 1 revealed. More secrets to come.

Xtreme Member
    You ventured through the portal and have taken your fated leap into the unknown. To a place where dreams and reality merge as one...
    i see that portal now Xion

keep it coming

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by anubis_is_evil View Post
    i see that portal now Xion

keep it coming
    You got it, bud. Thanks.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wait so is that a two-layered side panel, sandwiching the plexi/acrylic in-between? Whoa

I'm super envious of your waterjet-cuttability btw.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibbler View Post
    Wait so is that a two-layered side panel, sandwiching the plexi/acrylic in-between? Whoa

I'm super envious of your waterjet-cuttability btw.
    Thanks, Kibbler.

Not two-layered. Just the single graphic backed by mirror perspex. The first "teaser" shot that was taken was before the perspex was attached. I was shooting the reflection bouncing off the perspex.

Xtreme Guru
    The side panel came out great dude. I've been camped out on Modern Warfare 2 all week, so haven't been checking updates too regularly.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I love it when a plan comes together

Love your waterjet pics. So detailed. Do the edges need cleaned up afterwards or is the cutting process as neat as that? Looking forward to seeing this all come together.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    The side panel came out great dude. I've been camped out on Modern Warfare 2 all week, so haven't been checking updates too regularly.
    Thanks, man. You were one of the first to become interested in the panel, so I'm glad to hear that you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by kgtiger View Post
    I love it when a plan comes together
    Me too. Feels good. Lots more to do, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Red-5 View Post
    Love your waterjet pics. So detailed. Do the edges need cleaned up afterwards or is the cutting process as neat as that? Looking forward to seeing this all come together.
    The edges are very clean; they just needed some light sanding. I just used a 1000 grit paper and went lightly over them.

Thanks, and glad you're enjoying the project.

In my line of work, it's important to map out a process or project so that you can track your progress toward reaching a certain goal. And so what I've done, given the ambition and scope of this project, is split things up into several different stages, and at the end of each of these stages I have what are called "milestones." These "milestones" refer back to what I like to think are major goals along the project life cycle that have been reached.

Milestone 1 was to complete the side panel design and to bring it to life. So now that this goal has been reached, before moving forward, I'd like to briefly reflect back on the original concept vs. the reality or end product. This I'm doing as much for me as anyone else so that I can track my own progress and how successfully or unsuccessfully the final product compares to what the original concept was.

So, Milestone 1:

I personally am happy with how the side panel turned out. I know that I will likely be painting it later, but for now I can sit it aside and move onto my next area of focus that I'm calling Milestone 2.

The Bay Assembly:

This will be my primary focus area for the next week or two. Bringing this part to life just as the side panel now is.

Thanks for checking in!
    Last edited by Xion X2; 11-12-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Painting that brushed aluminum would be a slap in the face!

=P

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Liderc View Post
    Painting that brushed aluminum would be a slap in the face!

=P
    I do like the brushed look and haven't decided for certain whether to powdercoat it or do something else that keeps the brushed texture that it currently has. The overall color scheme of the build hasn't been worked out in my mind just yet.
    Last edited by Xion X2; 11-12-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I do like the brushed look and haven't decided for certain whether to powdercoat it or do something else that keeps the brushed texture that it currently has. The overall color scheme of the build hasn't been worked out in my mind just yet.
    What about anodizing it?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What about anodizing it?
    I'm afraid that with the mirror that it would be just too much 'shine.' The mirror really pops as of now, and I'd like to keep it that way.

[QUOTE=Xion X2;4107052]Thanks, man. You were one of the first to become interested in the panel, so I'm glad to hear that you like it.

So, Milestone 1:

Reality..... What a concept!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks, bud.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Humm, project life cycle, scope, milestones, let me guess, you work for a project management company.

I did my cert 4 and my diploma of project management last year.

What section are you working in, scheduling, accounts, field work, or do you just use project management software in your job to help out.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kgtiger View Post
    Humm, project life cycle, scope, milestones, let me guess, you work for a project management company.
    I see you speak the language.

I did my cert 4 and my diploma of project management last year. What section are you working in, scheduling, accounts, field work, or do you just use project management software in your job to help out
    Very cool. A man of many trades, eh?

I'm not certified yet, but I do a lot of project-related and reporting infrastructure work for a financial services company. I've found that applying this even outside the office helps me keep away from the ADD tendencies that I sometimes have. Otherwise, I might just be a constant stream of ideas with no work behind it. This helps keep me in line and focused on the current phase.

Xtreme Guru
    I'm going through a project management class myself atm. Its only a 3 credit class, so we don't get too in depth, but I understand that much.

That side panel did come out really nice btw. I only glanced at it before. Taking some time to really look at, they did a nice job with it.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Talking of colour schemes for your project, I think the colours you have in your avatar would go well with the brushed aluminium of your side panel, although that may be too obvious a choice. Whatever the colour scheme, I'm sure it'll turn out amazing.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    I'm going through a project management class myself atm. Its only a 3 credit class, so we don't get too in depth, but I understand that much.

That side panel did come out really nice btw. I only glanced at it before. Taking some time to really look at, they did a nice job with it.
    Thanks, Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Red-5 View Post
    Talking of colour schemes for your project, I think the colours you have in your avatar would go well with the brushed aluminium of your side panel, although that may be too obvious a choice. Whatever the colour scheme, I'm sure it'll turn out amazing.
    Yeah, from the beginning I had in mind to paint it, but the more and more I look at the brushed aluminum I'm becoming a fan of it.

The thing I do like about a brushed look on the exterior is it seems to be a more upscale, exquisite and, for lack of a better word, expensive look, which is what I am going for with this build. I want it to be edgy, but I also want it to look refined and sophisticated.

We'll see. I'm going to play around with some color schemes over the weekend, and I certainly appreciate all the helpful comments and kind words of support.

Xtreme Addict
    Whats the plan for this weekend?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Whats the plan for this weekend?
    A few things:

1) Measuring, measuring again, measuring some more, measuring a final time and then bending the waterjetted bay cover.

2) Measuring and cutting shelves for the bay cover. Bend shelves for mounting purposes.

3) Playing with the unibit some, drilling the tube routing holes into the bay cover.

4) De-riveting the entire case frame, measuring, tracing and cutting new floor for case that adapts to the new layout.

5) Work on front panel design.

We'll see how much of this I actually get to/finish. I'm going to try some light cutting in my apartment. I just hope that I don't wake up to an eviction notice on my door.

Xtreme Member
    Oh man.... I've been through all the pic's in your log and I have to say that I'm pretty amazed by both the quality of them and the quality of the object itself! Your parts are stunning, and your ideas are just amazing!
    What came out of the page for me is the idea with the SSD's. Such a simple thing, basically a vertical plexiglass (or glass) rectangle with some holes and screws, but the final effect is just amazing! I love it. Inserting some diodes into the glass would give a nice light effect on the edge of the glass mounting plate, but I guess you would loose the "zero-G" effect.
    Anyway, keep up the great work!
    i7 920 @ 4GHz | GTX285 SLI | Xonar D2X | ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution | Corsair 12Gb | Lian Li PC-P80 | be quiet! 1200W
    2x MCP350 | 2x PA120.3 | EK Supreme plexi | 2x EK FC-285GTX | Koolance full-board P6T6 block + 2 MVR-40 blocks | 2x EK Multioption Res 150 | Koolance 10/13 | TFC 10/13
    Z-5500 | diNovo Edge & G19 & MX Revolution | Sennheiser HD215 | G25 | Acer 24" + Sony 19" | Nikon D300s
    ||| Phantom |||

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast