Thread: Looking for a decent mid-tower

Xtreme Enthusiast

Looking for a decent mid-tower

I'm looking for a new mid-tower case. I currently have a Tagan/ABS Black Pearl and I hate to get rid of it, but I'm moving and need something smaller.

Things I'm looking for:

Build quality
    Simple styling (no window preferably)
    Decent cooling
    Space for 3 hard drives

I've looked around a bit and so far I like the Lian-Li PC-7B Plus II, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm not interested in modding it however.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112099

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by cabbspapp; 08-28-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    what kind of budget do you have? that would help with the choices a bit
    Current System:
    eVGA 680i SLi "A2" P30 BIOS
    intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (currently at stock)
    OCZ ReaperX 4GB DDR2 1000 (running at DDR2 800 Speeds with cas4)
    320GB Seagate 7200.10
    XFX 8800GT XXX 512MB (stock clocks)
    auzentech X-Fi Prelude
    PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad Copper
    Win XP Pro

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would really like to keep it under $120.

Xtreme Design
    You really can't go wrong with the PC-7b. It's a great case at a great price, and I really have lost track at this point of how many I have purchased over the years.

If you had a micro ATX mobo you should go with V351A though, as it fits all your needs and is much smaller in terms of volume.

I'll be interested in hearing other responses to see what the community thinks...
    -------------------------------
    Not From Concentrate
    All Projects
    Previous Projects:
    S3 Mini ITX Chassis
    The ArK
    Uriel
    Israfel
    Veritas
    Eldritch

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah I really like the PC-7B, it'll probably be what I end up going with unless someone finds something I like better.

I've thought about going the micro-ATX route, but I'd rather not spend the money and have to reformat.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Lian-Li A05 series? just a thought.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looked at those. The only thing I don't like is that there is only one 120MM fan for cooling (correct me if I'm wrong).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    two 120mm fans. One in the HDD rack in the front and one in the back of the case. The airflow in the case is actually opposite of most, going from the back to the front. I modded a friends A05-B to fit a 2x120 Radgrille on top. Plenty of room for it. He is actually running an all-internal LC loop in the same case now using the radgrille.

on a note: he removed the HDD rack as he only has one HDD...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That looks like a pretty good setup, but a problem is that I have three HDD's I want to stuff into it. The AO5 is a nice case don't get me wrong, but it doesn't have what I'm looking for if I have to sacrifice HDD space for cooling.

I should also add that I'm not really looking to mod the case I get either.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Newegg link

the case comes with a 3HDD rack, we just removed it cuz he didnt have the need for it

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I know, but the problem with that is there is only 1 120MM fan for intake and just the PSU for exhaust. I want a little better cooling than that, but at the same time I don't feel like modding the case I get.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AH gotcha. well just figured id share my opinion. clean little case. stick with your decision then i would say. I've just never really liked the top metal curve thing on the top of the pc-7 series

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I definitely appreciate your opinion. If I didn't have a 4870 or if I wanted to do a little modding, then I may have went with an AO5.

The thing I like about the top metal curve thing is that it gives you a place to run wires from the PSU, but then you can't see the PSU I guess.

Either way, thanks for your input.

Would the Cooler Master 690 be too big? That case pictured a few posts up seems small even for a midtower.
    DFI Lanparty DK T3eh6 || Intel Core i7 920 D0 || 6GB OCZ Platinum || EVGA GTX285 || Corsair TX850 || CoolerMaster CM690 || Windows 7 x64

Swiftech MCR320 || 3x Yate Loon High Speed || Laing DDC 3.2 || Enzotech Sapphire

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The case above takes standard ATX boards, but it just places the PSU in front of the motherboard instead of above it, giving it a shorter profile.

Looked at the 690, I don't really want one.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbspapp View Post
    I know, but the problem with that is there is only 1 120MM fan for intake and just the PSU for exhaust. I want a little better cooling than that, but at the same time I don't feel like modding the case I get.
    The case has 1 intake and 2 exhaust (case fan + psu). The exhaust fan at the front of the case is there by default and hidden by the 3-bay hdd cage. Think I'll get it for my next rig.

I have the PC-7B, it's a nice case. Only gripe about it is that there's no rubber mounting for the hdds and the case fans don't push much air (they are silent though).

Slightly dated pic, did some more cable management and replaced fans.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh wow, I didn't notice that, now I'm reconsidering.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbspapp View Post
    Oh wow, I didn't notice that, now I'm reconsidering.
    You can also zip-tie a small fan to the PCI brackets if you'll have space to help exhaust the hot air that would otherwise get trapped up at the top.
    I did that for a little A05b I set up for my parents who have a bad habit of setting things on top of the case, so I went for this option. I wouldn't recommend the case for anything other than a low power susytem unless you'll be able to put some sort of top exhaust in.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. My Black pearl has a similar setup, but two 120MM exhaust fans above the GPU. I'll probably end up going with the PC-7B.