Thread: What CPU block for sub zero?

Xtreme Member

What CPU block for sub zero?

Ok, I have a question, what CPU block are you guys using when going sub zero or below ambient? I'm going to start working on a chiller build and I'm in the process of getting the parts that I need. I have been doing phase for a few years now and understand how to insulate and the risk, but I can't find a cpu block that is insulated or can be easily insulated. For phase its nice as you have a nice head unit that has all the insulation needed, but all the water cpu blocks I see are very exposed and I'm not sure how insulate it. Does anyone know of a phase type head, but made for water (like what tyber has going on in his thread)? If not, can you guys post some pictures and help me undersand how to insulate a regular water cpu block (and what ones you guys are using)? Thanks.

Xtreme Cruncher
    swiftech is making a block specifically for TEC, but i'm not sure if it will be in production soon or if that project is scrapped. i'm pretty sure you can use this same block for chilled liquid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFireDragon View Post
    swiftech is making a block specifically for TEC, but i'm not sure if it will be in production soon or if that project is scrapped. i'm pretty sure you can use this same block for chilled liquid
    The TEC block is made from 2 pieces which is generally a no-go with sub-zero as each could contract at a different rate and cause a leak. This is compounded by the fact that the top is plastic and could, possibly, crack at such low temperatures.

For chilled liquid, you'd be safest with a one-piece, all-metal block like the Swiftech MCW6000.
    Last edited by karbonkid; 08-24-2009 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Oopsy - bad assumption was made. My bad.

Xtreme Member
    This will be for an i7 build. Does anyone have picutres of there sub-zero water blocks in action? Thanks for the replies guys.

Xtreme Addict
    How low are you wanting to go? and, what fluid are you planning on using?

Xtreme Member
    Hey, well I don't know how cold the unit will be able to go, but its a 1/3hp low temp compressor and will have about a 4 gallon res. I still don't know if I want to go sub-zero, but sub-ambient (close to freezing) for sure and I still need to insulate either way. I was just going to run some automotive anti-freeze 50/50 stuff as I don't think I'll get much colder than that. So, I'm trying to figure out what water block to buy and how to insulate it (I would like some pictures). Thanks.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey Shalamay. I dont know about 24/7 use. But i used a standard apogee and mcw60 for running at -35 to -40ish on an old chiller build. The blocks were fine. Although i cant say my acrylic res liked it. I think i have pics here somewhere.. will dig them up for you

Last edited by Postal Dude; 08-24-2009 at 10:34 PM.
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Intel E8400 @ stock
    Kingston Hyper-x 2x2Gb PC2-8500
    Swiftech H20 220 Apex Ultra (faithfully struggling)
    Palit 8800GT under MCW60 700/1700/2000
    Antec TP3 650W
    WinXP Home SP3
    Samsung SM206BW 20" TFT

Xtreme Mentor
    Enzotech Sapphire, all copper, internals are metal, but you probably need to braze it shut or replace the o-ring with something that could handle the cold temps.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

WCG Cruncher
    swiftech mcw5002? for 775 use. you could probably rig a mount with 2 1366 backplanes, one below the board and one modified on top of the block. I always liked this one because it's already brazed. I have cracked delrin blocks at low temps. I have used devcon250 (an industrial 2-part epoxy) to seal waterblocks after removing the o-ring. It seemed to work ok, the delrin cracked first. You will need a good pump of course...

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Xtreme Addict
    Here's the general idea:

waterblock insulation

For an i7 you are going to want a good block. I run mine on an ApogeeGT and it can barely handle it. I would think that with -25C and above and anti-freeze that an all copper Heatkiller 3 Cu could handle the job. My understanding is that it's the fluid that matters, and I don't think the anti-freeze will cause any issues. Somebody correct that if it's wrong, please....

Also:

Xtreme Phase Change Insulation Guide
    Last edited by Naja002; 09-04-2009 at 07:52 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Thank you guys for the information, pictures, and the links. Do you think I could get a round water block like this or this to fit into a phase mounting? Are there any round solid cooper blocks? I have a spare evap mounting kit, I just need to know the diamater of the water blocks (I have 2-5/8inch hole). Do you guys think that would insulate well, it works on phase aleast. I can figure out a way to hold it down. Thanks again for all the help.