Thread: 5970 Quadfire Watercooling - Opinions needed

5970 Quadfire Watercooling - Opinions needed

I'm looking to add a second ATI 5970 to my current rig and would like opinions on wether my watercooling is going to cope with a second one.

At the moment i have a single loop system which cools both my Intel 920 @ 4.2Ghz and my ATI 5970. I'm using 1/2 inch tubing and high flow waterblocks, i also have the Lain DCC 18w pump along with a double thickness 360 radiator. All of which is enclosed in the Corsair Obsidian 800D.

Currently at idle my temperatures on both GPU and CPU are about 35-40 degrees, getting to no where over 55 degrees under normal load.

Would another 5970 be ok in the same loop or would i really need another 240 radiator?

Other suggestions are welcome.

Here is a picture of the setup

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i think that rad will handle another gpu, no problem, only way to be sure is to add it an find out
    if your temps get crazy, then add another rad.

i believe you mean crossfire btw
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

He means quad fire because he got already 2 gpus :]
    What temps u got now ? What is the voltage on fans ?
    And second thing is , do u realy need another 5970 ? I have this card. And in most of games this card is not fully used. Most of games are using 50% of this card power because of bad scaling ;]

I am Xtreme
    Will be warm, but should work. Give it a try!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

I have listed the Temps above^^, as for the fans they are all running at 1200RPM on a fan controller which can up them to 1800. So i also have that option if it gets a bit warm.

The reason for going Quadfire is an attempt to future proof the entire of DX11 & be ready for things like Crysis 2. My previous rig was 8800GTX SLI which lasted me all through DX10.

I find my card to be fully utilized in pretty much any game, even something like world of warcraft both GPU's report 100% usage most of the time, in certain crowded places im still only hitting 45~fps on max settings.

I would say that putting next 2x120 radiator to the loop would be good. IMO you would get about 65 C on cpu and nearly 70 C on gpus. I got in my loop i7 950,mobo chipset,5970 cooled by one loop= thermochill Pa 3.120 + ek 2x120 all fans on 5V and i have 55C on cpu and 40C on both gpu's on load.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsong- View Post
    I have listed the Temps above^^, as for the fans they are all running at 1200RPM on a fan controller which can up them to 1800. So i also have that option if it gets a bit warm.

The reason for going Quadfire is an attempt to future proof the entire of DX11 & be ready for things like Crysis 2. My previous rig was 8800GTX SLI which lasted me all through DX10.

I find my card to be fully utilized in pretty much any game, even something like world of warcraft both GPU's report 100% usage most of the time, in certain crowded places im still only hitting 45~fps on max settings.
    From what ive seen low fps in MMOs is generally not due to the gpu when in crowded areas. personally i would hold off on the quadfire as the your price to performance is going to be really poor. I would sit on that cash and pick a next gen.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Accerian View Post
    He means quad fire because he got already 2 gpus :]
    oh yeah ,forgot the 5970 was a dualy, ^#%@ marketing ppl cant stick to a standard for a week... x2
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Xtreme Enthusiast
    well I'd say try it but you might see temperatures increase a little. If your cpu stays below 85 and your gpu below 95, you should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by \/icious View Post
    From what ive seen low fps in MMOs is generally not due to the gpu when in crowded areas. personally i would hold off on the quadfire as the your price to performance is going to be really poor. I would sit on that cash and pick a next gen.
    Not sure about other MMO's but the reason for WoW having low fps in populated areas is all down to re-draw capabilitys of the GPU/DX version.

I really dont think the next gen cards will be all that, i still think Quad Fire 5970's will be quite a bit more powerful then a single next gen card.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsong- View Post
    Not sure about other MMO's but the reason for WoW having low fps in populated areas is all down to re-draw capabilitys of the GPU/DX version.

I really dont think the next gen cards will be all that, i still think Quad Fire 5970's will be quite a bit more powerful then a single next gen card.
    Not trying to sound like a but can you show me anything to support this. Everything I've read has suggested that lag like that is generally isp/server related. Also I know in the pst crossfire has not played well with WOW. I imagine quadfire would probably be a pain in the ass. The only reason I say save you money for next gens is due to how well a 580 does compared to a 5970. I would pick up a next gen and look to work towards crossfire/sli with that.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would water cool CPU separate from GPUs maybe buy a 140mm rad at the bottom of the case for the CPU only ..
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 4.8GHz
    MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-G1.Sniper M5 MATX 1150
    MEMORY: G.SKILL Trident X 8GB 2400MHz 9-11-11-31 1T
    GPU: 2 x eVGA GTX 780 SC
    SOUND KRK Rokit 5 Limited Edition White Studio Monitors
    SSD: 4 x Samsung 128GB Pro's Raid 0
    PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W
    COOLING: 2 x Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 420mm 6 x Swiftech Helix 140mm Fans
    CASE: Lian Li PC-C32B TECH STATION MOD build log coming soon
    MONITOR: ASUS VG278HE Black 27" 149Hz
    O.S: Windows 7 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    +1 for 2 loop.
    BTTB - Gigabyte Z87X-OC - WCed I7 4770k - 2x8gb Ballistix 1600mhz - Zotac GTX 780
    Asus Xonar Pheobus - OS -> Toshiba Q 256gb - Games -> 2x Agility 4 256gb Raid0
    Corsair HX850 - Tecnofront HWD BenchTable - Asus VE278Q 5760x1080

Serveur - Asus Z77m PRO - 2500K - NH-C12P - 4x4gb G.Skill Ares 1600mhz
    Agility 4 128gb - Corsair CX430M - 1TB Black - 2TB green - 2TB Red

KatPat - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 - FX-8320 - PH-TC14CS - 2x4gb Viper 1600mhz - GTS 450
    Samsung Evo 120gb - Corsair HX750 - Bitfenix Survivor White - Asus VE247H

I'm running 2 5970's (see my signature). I probably have overkill on rads but I have a big Danger Den case and figured since I was in one loop... what the hell fill all of those slots on the case with rads. Honestly though, almost nothing seems to support quadfire from what I can tell. You might be better off just saving it for your next build.
    i7 975 EE @4.27GHZ / 2 x HD5970 @980MHZ/1300MHZ
    eVGA X58 Classified 3 x SLI / 6GB Kingston DDR3 2000MHZ RAM
    1500 Watt Silverstone Strider PS / 8X Bluray/DVD Burner
    2 x 160GB Intel X25-M Gen2 SSDs / 2TB WD HD
    Windows 7 64bit

Water Cooling - 1 Loop:
    Swiftech Apogee XT / Koolance Mosfet+VReg / 2 x EK Nickel-Acetal 5970 in series
    2 x Black Ice GTX360 / 1 x Black Ice GTX480 Radiators
    2 x D5 Pumps + EK Dual Top
    20 x Yate Loon 2200RPM Fans Push/Pull

There was some test on forum whit one loop and dual loop config. There is almost no benefits from dual loop. Better to put bigger/thicker radiator than buying second res,second pump and small radiator for cpu

Thanks for all the feedback guys, i have decided to go with a second 5970 and put it on my current loop.

I have gone with the EK Highflow Parallel Bridge to connect the 2 cards, that coupled with my high flow blocks, double thickness rad and 1/2 tubing will hopefully give it enough cooling.

Xtreme Guru
    stick with 1 loop, are you running push/pull on your rad? believe it or not push/pull does help a bit more then having just a push setup especially if your loop is getting more restricitve when adding more components, try push/pull if its 2 hot definately invest in a 240 rad

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?