Thread: Silverstone SUGo SG05 *Quick Build* (pic heavy)

Xtreme Batrachian

Silverstone SUGo SG05 *Quick Build* (pic heavy)

Little computer I've built for my living room. Wouldn't go as far as calling it HTPC because the audio capabilities (just what the HD 4850 can stream through HDMI) are quite reduced, but I think it will serve it's purpose

I've titled it *Quick Build* because, apart from changing the intake fan, a little modification to the PSU cables and adding a fan to the GPU (I consider this a failure, and wasn't in the original plan, but hey, sometimes compromises need to be made...) there's been no work done to it. It's just completely stock.

List of components:

ZOTAC GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi
    Intel C2D E8400
    Kingston KHX8500D2K2/4G (2x2GB PC2-8500)
    GigaByte GV-R485MC-1GI (Radeon HD 4850)
    Seagate ST9320325AS 320 GB 5.4k rpm
    Optiarc AD-7670S-01 DVD
    Scythe "Gentle Typhoon" D1225C12B5AP-15 (Intake fan)
    Scythe "KAZE-JYU slim" SY1012SL12L (GPU fan)
    Scythe SHURIKEN Rev.B
    Trust Wireless MCE Keyboard
    MCE compatible IR receiver
    Vista Ultimate 64 bit (Finally, after two years, I've found a use for the Vista license!!!)

This will be connected to the A/V receiver via HDMI.

First, the PSU itself, after a little hacking and slashing:

Side view, with the card as originally intended... It was idling (underclocked) @54 C with an ambient of 22 C, so... that was a no-go... oh well, it happens...

Top view without ODD/HDD tray, fronte bezel and PSU... all that room hey? Yeah, right

Side view with PSU in place... the cables start making their stellar appearance...

Top view under the same conditions

Side view with everything in place now. I'm particularly happy with that blue SATA cable... 10 cm long, right angle header and round cable, just what the doctor ordered If it would have been black instead of blue, it would have been perfect!
    Home made speaker too (pulled that speaker from an old Samsung laptop)

Top view under the same conditions

Side view, this time with the fan mounted on the GPU (grrrrrrrrrrr...). Now it idles @ 31 C and loads (nothing extreme like OCCT, just running 3DMark Vantage) @ 72C with an ambient of 23C... Still, this fan is much quieter than any stock ATI fan I had the (dubious) pleasure of listening to, so, we'll have to call it "half-result"

Detail of the interior, with the "home assembled" speaker

Detail of the interior, different angle

Front with the case assembled (and my good old BenQ test monitor showing in the corner )

And finally, case rear, with the keyb receiver and the wireless antenna (slightly better gain than the bundled one) plugged in

That's all for today folks. There's nothing special on the sides and the top... It's completely stock.

Now I can stream from the NAS, play and other stuff in the living room. I've tried it, and is barely audible @ 2m with everything turned off, and indiscernible while watching movies, even on quiet scenes. Yay!
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Member
    I have almost an identical build except I put a Q9650 CPU, 4gb G.Skill memory and a blu-ray dvd optical...excellent case IMO...and I just recently put a SSD in mine for increased read/writes.
    Ultra Aluminus/Silverstone SUGO 05/Thermaltake SPEDO
    Asus P6TD Deluxe/Zotac Mini-ITX GeForce 9300
    Core I3 3ghz/Core i7 920 D0
    TRUE Black/CM Hyper 212 Plus
    G.Skill 4GB PC8500/3GB Corsair DDR3-1866/6GB G.Skill DDR3-2000
    ATI HD4850 1GB/ATI HD4890 1GB/ATI HD5850
    Samsung 305T Plus
    Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3/Creative X-Fi PCI-E
    4 Intel X-25M 80GB SSD RAID-0/Areca 1231ML
    LG 8X Blu-Ray Burner/LG 10X Blu-Ray Burner/Sony Slimline Blu-Ray Optical
    Ultra X3 1600W/Ultra X3 1000W

Xtreme Mentor
    Good job!

I really like that case. I want one.

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by ACE76 View Post
    I have almost an identical build except I put a Q9650 CPU, 4gb G.Skill memory and a blu-ray dvd optical...excellent case IMO...and I just recently put a SSD in mine for increased read/writes.
    Nice CPU Are you having any issues cooling it?

I was looking at putting a SSD myself, but is a technology I'm not comfortable with yet... I have a 128 MB Samsung one here (comes from a "dead" MacBook), but then I read that you have to restore the OS every week or less to make the most of it and other various hassles and I really don't know if it's worth the bother...
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well for the audio use the Digital Optical out into your amp and you will get an excerlent sound out. I am looking at the same build but might use the Zontac 9300 Micro ATX board which is slightly bigger but a better audio chip set.

Then I look at at the Zontax Atom and think why bother and just buy the ALL IN ONE board to do it all for me!
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

a nice-looking case u have..it's so tiny

too bad the motherboard didn't available in my nation

there's something i want to ask,,ur harddisk is a notebook-type harddisk right? is the sata cable can connect properly to the hdd?

---Double post---
    Last edited by 57.Christ; 05-24-2009 at 10:09 AM.

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by 57.Christ View Post
    a nice-looking case u have..it's so tiny

too bad the motherboard didn't available in my nation

there's something i want to ask,,ur harddisk is a notebook-type harddisk right? is the sata cable can connect properly to the hdd?
    Yep. Regular SATA cables (both data and power) fit fine in 2.5" (notebook) hard drives.

Is the notebook SATA optical drives the ones that need special cables (connector is smaller).

Quote Originally Posted by chinaguy View Post
    Well for the audio use the Digital Optical out into your amp and you will get an excerlent sound out. I am looking at the same build but might use the Zontac 9300 Micro ATX board which is slightly bigger but a better audio chip set.

Then I look at at the Zontax Atom and think why bother and just buy the ALL IN ONE board to do it all for me!
    Well, after a few experiments the Radeon's audio solution is not THAT bad... Something I can live with

I looked at the Atom boards too, but they don't have much juice on them
    Last edited by MrToad; 05-24-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by MrToad View Post
    Yep. Regular SATA cables (both data and power) fit fine in 2.5" (notebook) hard drives.

Is the notebook SATA optical drives the ones that need special cables (connector is smaller).

Well, after a few experiments the Radeon's audio solution is not THAT bad... Something I can live with

I looked at the Atom boards too, but they don't have much juice on them
    still why not just use the digi output ? better sound in generall :/

new zotac or POV ion boards are pretty snazzy =)

how come you got a 4850 instead of 4770?

going to be gaming on this setup?
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Mentor
    Sweet combo (Zotac ITX, 4850 passive, E8400, Scythe Shuriken ...) MrToad

SG05 is really a lil' good case

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    still why not just use the digi output ? better sound in generall :/
    I've tried both, and TBH it's indiscernible. Both make a rather average job... Which on the other hand is good enough for what I want it

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    new zotac or POV ion boards are pretty snazzy =)

how come you got a 4850 instead of 4770?

going to be gaming on this setup?
    Yep, I wanted something more "comfy" and with a bit more "ooomph" than the laptop (which is a heavy and rather obsolete XPS Gen2) to play in the living room.

I don't play fps, I'm more of a rpg/adventure person, so the 4850 does a neat job.

I thought of getting a 4890 (vr-zone proved that you can power it with the 300W PSU), but the thing sounds like a chopper, more so in this case...

do you think a scythe mushashi vga cooler would fit into this case?
    Coolermaster HAF932; Gigabyte P35 DS3-R; Core 2 Duo e6420@3200mhz; Thermaltake V1; OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum 800mhz; Zotac 8800gts 320mb; Corsair HX520W; Seagate 160gb.

Xtreme Member
    Really Sexy build you got here MRToad

Quote Originally Posted by bettyfromhell View Post
    do you think a scythe mushashi vga cooler would fit into this case?
    It should fit, but you won't get enough room for the fans to do a proper job, so the gpu might heat up the whole case

A 4770 would be a great choice for such a small case