Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitspower Compression Fittings Leaking

Bitspower Compression Fittings Leaking

I bought 10 Bitspower compression fittings.
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/biblsp1cofif.html

Today I replace my existing barbs with all compression fittings.

After doing a leak test I'm finding multiple compression fittings were leaking. The leaks are not where the fitting screws into the block or radiator, but where the sleeve screws in over the tubing.

At first I had tightened these by hand. But after finding the leaks I got the pliers out and started tightening harder (so much for easy disassembly later).

However after more leak testing, I still have leaks. I'm not sure I dare to tighten any further.

I'm taking everything apart again. So far I've really not see any reason for the leak though other than the tapered barb on the compression fitting is rather short. I'm kinda disappointed right now.

But should I be disappointed? Any thoughts on what I might have done wrong here?
    ▪ Intel Q9550 3.91GHz
    ▪ Gigabyte UD3P
    ▪ Patriot Viper 4x2GB DDR2-1000
    ▪ XFX 2x 6950s
    ▪ OCZ 2x Vertex 120GBs
    ▪ Seasonic M12 700 watt
    ▪ Cooler Master Cosmos S

Engineering The Xtreme
    how far have you pressed the tubing onto the barb inside the clamp?

Xtreme Addict
    What tubing are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    how far have you pressed the tubing onto the barb inside the clamp?
    Pushed it all the way onto the barb until it hits the wall.

▪ Intel Q9550 3.91GHz
    ▪ Gigabyte UD3P
    ▪ XFX 2x 6950s
    ▪ OCZ 2x Vertex 120GBs
    ▪ Seasonic M12 700 watt
    ▪ Cooler Master Cosmos S

Quote Originally Posted by faster3200 View Post
    What tubing are you using?
    Primochill PrimoFlex Pro 1/2 inch tubing.
    http://www.jab-tech.com/PrimoFlex-Pr...D-pr-4118.html
    ▪ Intel Q9550 3.91GHz
    ▪ Gigabyte UD3P
    ▪ XFX 2x 6950s
    ▪ OCZ 2x Vertex 120GBs
    ▪ Seasonic M12 700 watt
    ▪ Cooler Master Cosmos S

Xtreme Member
    When you replaced your tubes, did you snip off the ends of your used tubings? If they were used prior on other barbs, the openings might be too loose for these compression barbs.

You know what they say, once you go black you never go back.

The tubing is brand new.

I finally got one of the leaking compression fittings apart (difficult task after how much I tightened them).

The tubing on this one is not all the way to the end of the barb. From the picture, does this look like the likely cause of my leak? I am pretty sure I had pushed all these tubes on as far as they'd go, so I'm not sure why this one (and I'm suspecting my other leak might be the same) have slipped like this.
    Last edited by Ravynmagi; 05-02-2009 at 07:53 PM.
    ▪ Intel Q9550 3.91GHz
    ▪ Gigabyte UD3P
    ▪ XFX 2x 6950s
    ▪ OCZ 2x Vertex 120GBs
    ▪ Seasonic M12 700 watt
    ▪ Cooler Master Cosmos S

Engineering The Xtreme
    can you link exactly what fitting you bought for this tubing? this is very odd as you seem to have done everything correctly....

your sure the leaks were coming from the clamp area and the not the oring seal?

I am Xtreme
    I am pretty damn positive you have the wrong fittings for that tubing . . . your links seem to say they should go together but your experience with it says clearly not. Bitspower compression fittings do not leak with the correct tubing.
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    can you link exactly what fitting you bought for this tubing? this is very odd as you seem to have done everything correctly....

your sure the leaks were coming from the clamp area and the not the oring seal?
    The link was in the original post. It is these:

Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    I am pretty damn positive you have the wrong fittings for that tubing . . . your links seem to say they should go together but your experience with it says clearly not. Bitspower compression fittings do not leak with the correct tubing.
    I believe I have the correct size. I received the 10 fittings packaged in pairs. And they are all labeled as:

G1/4"
    Black Sparkle
    Compression Fitting CC5
    For ID 1/2" OD3/4"
    Tube (Pair)
    BP-BSCPFD-CC5

And the tubing is 1/2" ID 3/4" OD (also linked earlier).
    ▪ Intel Q9550 3.91GHz
    ▪ Gigabyte UD3P
    ▪ XFX 2x 6950s
    ▪ OCZ 2x Vertex 120GBs
    ▪ Seasonic M12 700 watt
    ▪ Cooler Master Cosmos S

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravynmagi View Post

I believe I have the correct size. I received the 10 fittings packaged in pairs. And they are all labeled as:

G1/4"
    Black Sparkle
    Compression Fitting CC5
    For ID 1/2" OD3/4"
    Tube (Pair)
    BP-BSCPFD-CC5

Well, I guess I should rephrase that. I have only used Feser/DD 3/8-5/8 with the correct compression fittings but I have done a lot of builds in the year and a half to two years with them and never have seen this. I have seen leaks caused by o-ring issues or cracked blocks but never around the compression part. I wonder if you got mislabled tubing or fittings. From what I have heard Gary at Sidewinders is a stand up guy. I am sure he will make it right.
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Mentor
    You have to be careful with Bitspower fittings. The barbs are smooth so any sideway torque applied to the tubings can cause leaks. I know cause I did that and my heart skipped when I thought it killed my vidcard. I recommend Koolance Compressions cause it has grips.
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

I am Xtreme
    after reading your first post,

1. push the tube all the way,
    2. and tight the ring all the way.

**put a drain so you can cut the tubes later, disassembly is awfull with compression fittings, i resort to cutting the tubes.

I believe I have the correct tubing size. I just found some of left over tubing from my previous build (MasterKleer). They appear to be the same size. Though the Primochill tubing is softer and does go onto the barbs much easier than the MaskterKleer 1/2 inch tubing does.
    ▪ Intel Q9550 3.91GHz
    ▪ Gigabyte UD3P
    ▪ XFX 2x 6950s
    ▪ OCZ 2x Vertex 120GBs
    ▪ Seasonic M12 700 watt
    ▪ Cooler Master Cosmos S

Xtreme Member
    can you get a pic of a cross section of the tubing ?
    CPU: Core2Quad q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (highest so far 4.2GHz)
    GPU: XFX 9800GTX @ 850/1230
    Ram: Samsung 4GB (4x1GB) 700MHz PC5300
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32)
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt DxX
    HDD:WD5001AALS, ST3250410AS, ST3500410AS, ST3500320AS - 1.75TB
    DVD: LG H26N,LG GH20LS10 both sata
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500/Razor Barracuda HP-1 / AC-1
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v
    3Dmark06:17,814 AquaMark:190,865

Xtreme Member
    I guess I pose my dumb question would be what is your tubing size with OD and ID measurements I know I found out that there are two different types of 3/8inch fittings for tubing and bitspower makes two different compressionf ittings there is a 1/2inch OD and 5/8inch OD with all being 3/8inch ID I believe.
    NV: re read thread.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOCKTHEGLIDE View Post
    I guess I pose my dumb question would be what is your tubing size with OD and ID measurements I know I found out that there are two different types of 3/8inch fittings for tubing and bitspower makes two different compressionf ittings there is a 1/2inch OD and 5/8inch OD with all being 3/8inch ID I believe.
    NV: re read thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravynmagi View Post

G1/4"
    Black Sparkle
    Compression Fitting CC5
    For ID 1/2" OD3/4"
    Tube (Pair)
    BP-BSCPFD-CC5

got the right stuff.

Okay, I think I might have figured out what is going on.

I had two leaks. One was from the compression fitting coming from a radiator, when I tightened this one up a bit more that leak stopped. However the other leak coming from my GPU block wouldn't go away (which is what prompted this post).

Well I'm not sure how I missed this before, but it seems it is my GPU block itself that has sprung the leak. The leak is on top of the GPU block right above one of the fittings. In the picture below you can see one drop of water right on the seem between the black metal and plastic of the water block. The block has a bunch of hex screws on it, so I tried tightening those, but it's still leaking water from there.

Fortunately the 4870X2 block is less than a year old, so hopefully the warranty won't take too long to replace.

▪ Intel Q9550 3.91GHz
    ▪ Gigabyte UD3P
    ▪ XFX 2x 6950s
    ▪ OCZ 2x Vertex 120GBs
    ▪ Seasonic M12 700 watt
    ▪ Cooler Master Cosmos S

Banned
    open it up and check to see if the o-ring is correctly in place.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LOUISSSSS View Post
    open it up and check to see if the o-ring is correctly in place.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dubtown View Post
    explain

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LOUISSSSS View Post
    explain
    It means he has a crush on you!

BP fittings don't leak with the right tubing. I believe the fittings you bought are specifically for the Tygon R-3603 tubing. It is more dense and you have a harder time clamping them down because it really digs in and holds them tight.
    Last edited by Sadasius; 05-02-2009 at 11:28 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    It means he has a crush on you!

BP fittings don't leak with the right tubing. I believe the fittings you bought are specifically for the Tygon R-3603 tubing. It is more dense and you have a harder time clamping them down because it really digs in and holds them tight.
    MAYBE...who knows oh well he found out the leak the block itself....dont have much experience with BP fittings, but none so far have leaked on me (knock on wood) and I have 50 of them.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah I read he found the GPU block leak but was it also the fittings? I mean it was not all just the GPU block was it? I did find it weird to see that title and the first thing that popped in my head was..."Use the right tubing numbnuts!" I have a good many myself and they are damn solid. The only way I was able to cause a leak was when I move my hand in some tight areas and made one of the fittings unscrew a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    Yeah I read he found the GPU block leak but was it also the fittings? I mean it was not all just the GPU block was it? I did find it weird to see that title and the first thing that popped in my head was..."Use the right tubing numbnuts!" I have a good many myself and they are damn solid. The only way I was able to cause a leak was when I move my hand in some tight areas and made one of the fittings unscrew a little.
    Yeah, it seems I had multiple problems. Which always complicates things you are only expecting one problem.

The fitting on my radiator was definitely leaking. However due to the location, it was hard to see for certainty if the leak was from the o-ring area or the barb area. This leak went away when I tightened both up.

The GPU fitting was easy to see and the leak appeared to be coming from the barb area since I didn't see any water coming from the o-ring area or around the block there.

However what seemed to be happening is I have that tiny leak at the top of the GPU block seam which dripped down onto the sleeve of the fitting, making the leak appear to be there since that small drop of water on the GPU block was almost unnoticable.

As for taking the GPU block apart and cheaking the o-ring. I've been thinking about doing this. However will taking the GPU block apart void my warranty with Koolance? It doesn't seem to specify on the website.
    ▪ Intel Q9550 3.91GHz
    ▪ Gigabyte UD3P
    ▪ XFX 2x 6950s
    ▪ OCZ 2x Vertex 120GBs
    ▪ Seasonic M12 700 watt
    ▪ Cooler Master Cosmos S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast