Thread: Lian-Li A17 case and mis-aligned motherboard ports

Xtreme Member

Question Lian-Li A17 case and mis-aligned motherboard ports

I'm experiencing a problem with mis-aligning motherboard ports on my Lian-Li A17 case. I'll let the pictures do the talking, note I've put small washers under the hex stand-offs; if I didn't the problem would be worse. I don't see what I can do as the entire board needs to be shifted to the right (or down once installed).

On my previous A17 case the ports aligned perfectly but two pop rivets came loose, so I replaced it with another A17 and now I'm finding the board ports no longer align. Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? I'm unsure what to do, other than look for another case, I'm considering a Sonata Elite.

Last edited by aln688; 03-19-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I found the same issues on my very expensive A20, even to the extent that the most bottom right motherboard mounting hole don't line up at all using my full-size EATX Super Micro motherboard.

Somewhere, somehow, someone made a boo-boo with the measurements on the:

i)I/O plate
    ii) motherboard mounting holes.

Never argue with Idiots...they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    i-Prodigy (small APD2 GFX/CPU waterloop) ; HP Blackbird Project Log (dual-Xeon Watercooled) ; Macho Mini Project Log (Sandybridge watercooled mini-ITX)

Xtreme Member
    File a little off the bottom of the tray? :/

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    File a little off the bottom of the tray? :/

I think it would be easier to ream out the holes on the motherboard to make them bigger. Personally I dont think I have EVER had a plate that perfectly matched the ports. There was always some misalignment somewhere. But that probably because I only spend $20 on cases. Just like my CM690. $19.99 is what i paid for it.
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 03-12-2009 at 08:59 AM.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBean View Post
    I found the same issues on my very expensive A20, even to the extent that the most bottom right motherboard mounting hole don't line up at all using my full-size EATX Super Micro motherboard.

Somewhere, somehow, someone made a boo-boo with the measurements on the:

i)I/O plate
    ii) motherboard mounting holes.

Really? On a case as expensive as the A20? That's incredible. Did you ever contact Lian-Li about it? I sent them the same pictures I posted here, and highly doubt I'll ever hear back from them. If I see one more "Quality Craftsmanship Made in Taiwan" again...

I was tempted to take a slight amount off the tray, but if I do that none of the cards that plug in the PCI Express slots would line up with the plates on the back of the case. Drilling the holes larger is an option as well, kind of sad that I need to drill into my $170 Lian-Li case, AND use metal washers to raise the board slightly as well.

I don't think I've ever had the ports perfectly line-up either, but it's not to the extent that I can't plug in a USB device on the back. As I said my previous A17 was fine, but this one is way off.

I've asked for a replacement A17, but I've also ordered an Antec Sonata Elite as well just incase my A17 is off as well. That way I've got the weekend to work on my build. I like both cases, I prefer the A17 but if the ports don't align, there isn't much I can do.