Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on CosmosS for better cooling

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef View Post
    okay, so are you doing it wrong. your attempting to mount it to a fan slot, instead of against the hard drive bay.

You could also rotate the pump 180 degrees, and have the inlet on the top, and the outlet parallel to the bottom of the case pointing to the rear.

try mounting your bracket to the holes circled in white. you could even go out and just get velcro, and velcro it to the wall.
    No way I was doing it wrong. Dave mounted it to the fan slot. The UN bracket is a 2 piece, one attached to the fan slot and another on top of it.

If I was mounting it against the hard drive bay, I woulnd't bother to buy the UN bracket at all. The D5 pump came with a base plate that has 2 holes in it I can use it to mount vertically.

So where is Dave anyway? He really had it with this thread?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hchristian I am done with this thread but I will answer your concern.

There are literally thousands of cases out there and none of them are the same. In your case you probably shouldn't use the Z-Bracket but instead mount it to the hard drive cage like I did. You could use the stock bracket but it wouldn't work as good as the Absolute would.
    There is no way that just because you see something in another case that it will work exactly the same in your case. That would be impossible.

This thread was about advice on cooling and I will not hijack it and steer it off target any longer. That is why I am done with this thread. I have said what I am going to say and what my personal observations have been and I'm done.

Nothing personal against you hchristian but this is spoofs thread so lets give it back to him.
    i7 970 4.0 Ghz 1.325v // Asus P6X58D Premium // Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit // 12gb Corsair Dominators // 2- GTX 580 Hydrocoppers in SLI// 2-OCZ Vertex 2 Raid//128Gb Corsair SSD (Temp Storage) // Custom Wall Mount Case // Corsair 1000W // SyncMaster 2433BW // Dual loops 2-laing 355's each with XSPC dual top // (UN) 3G Brackets & X-Brackets // Swiftech Apogee XT // 2 x 120.3 & 2 x 120.2 Swiftech Rads//

Wall Mount Build Log: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=242186
    MM Extended Ascension Build Log:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=212236[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Xtreme Member
    enjoy..

for dust I just use CO2 cans, i have a BUNCH lying around.

no i don't get high off'm...
    Aha I c it clealy now.

CO2 cans they cost practically nothing so that's no issue.

The one thing I'm asking myself is the bottom fan should't it be sucking fresh ( most lower part = know as the colder parts ) air in?

And instead buy a 2nd HD cage? Is that alot of work to switch the hd fan around?

Thanks!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lower pressure in the case, will produce lower temps than sucking in colder air; the delta between the air above the case and the air at the bottom of the case isn't that great.

Switching around the fan isn't so difficult that it doesn't warrant spending some 30-50$USD on a new HD bay entirely...
    "fightoffyourdemons"

Xtreme Member
    Chruschef i c,

but as shown on your picture you made for me The top 3 fans will have a dead spot on the radiator right?

Now there's one thing i've never seen on a cosmos s and that is the use of ( a ) shroud(s).

Is that because you can't use them with this case due to spacing issue's or what?

tks!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    depends on how big you want your shrouds, and how big your radiator is...

if your stubborn enough i'm sure you could fit it in there somehow..
    "fightoffyourdemons"

Xtreme Member
    depends on how big you want your shrouds, and how big your radiator is...

if your stubborn enough i'm sure you could fit it in there somehow..
    haha

let's say a feser 360 rad + their shrouds? Will it fit?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    haven't measured. probably not.
    "fightoffyourdemons"

Xtreme Member
    that's why i haven't seen any i guess

Xtreme Member
    When using zip ties instead of clamps, how are you removing them without damaging the tubing?

Are alphacool tubing any good? I'm using just stock tubes from local shop and i whan to change them, but at this moment i can't take tygon, so is alphacool tubing enough or i better stay away from them?
    ASUS P5E Deluxe X48 | C2Q Q9550@testing[Fuzion v2+MCR320+MCP655] | G.Skill 4x2GB F2-8800CL5D-4GBPQ@testing | Sapphire 4870X2@ testing | 150GB WD VelociRaptor + 2xWD6400AAKS | Chieftec CFT-850-14C | Iiyama E2403WS | Razer DeathAdder | CM CosmosS Black

Xtreme Member

Is this too kink or i can use it like this? If a use longer tube the middle point (highest point of the tube) will be more kinked. (i hope you understand men, no sure if "kink" is the best word, but you guys use it here a lot)
    ASUS P5E Deluxe X48 | C2Q Q9550@testing[Fuzion v2+MCR320+MCP655] | G.Skill 4x2GB F2-8800CL5D-4GBPQ@testing | Sapphire 4870X2@ testing | 150GB WD VelociRaptor + 2xWD6400AAKS | Chieftec CFT-850-14C | Iiyama E2403WS | Razer DeathAdder | CM CosmosS Black

Xtreme Enthusiast
    any kinking will cause problems, creates turbulence(not to be confused with pressure) in the loop... i can't see the image cuz of webfiltering , but anti-kink coils are nice, or some 45's or 90's can fix kinking... or even just rerouting your tubing.
    "fightoffyourdemons"

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spoof View Post
    Ok, i really need help ot this, because i have a sort of a deadline (:

Xtreme Addict
    Will the design on post 48 help with the CPU getting hammered from GTX 295 heat?

Banned
    shrouds wont fit but i can tell you this
    if you want to make sure you dampen the vibration use the molding petras sells and cut the fan grill's out from the top for better airflow+ dampening

Mr Swiftech

in summary

Rule: There is ALWAYS a higher temperature inside an enclosed case, no matter how good the ventilation is than there is outside of the case

It results that:

1/ bringing fresh outside air to the radiator will ALWAYS yield superior cooling.
    2/ and in this configuration dust will ALWAYS accumulate at the radiator inlet (and sip thru into the PC), quickly degrading performance and necessitating frequent maintenance (hard to clean unless you use compressed air)
    3/ and hot air from the radiator will add thermal load to all components inside the case

A compromise is to:
    1/ work the overall case ventilation so that Delta T between inside and outside is as low as possible. A good goal is 2 to 3C
    2/ if so, using the air from inside the case to cool the radiator (fans blowing out) is acceptable as it yields good (but not maximum) performance, reduces the heat load inside the case, and eliminates the dust issue (providing the case has filters)

In my cosmos S, I have what I believe is an optimal compromise: an MCR220 Res in front with fans sucking fresh air from the outside, AND an MCR320 up top, with the fans blowing out (therefore using inside computer air), and I use the giant side panel fan.
    Last edited by gabe; 03-04-2009 at 06:34 PM.
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Member
    So, i have a little problem - i place MCW30 and everything is up and running -

The problem is, that i have higher temps than before. And i mean around 7C. I know, that 1.57v generates a lot of heat, but is this normal. I did cut the mesh between the fans and the rad, expecting to achieve lower temps, but nothing like this. Before ~33C idle, now ~40C.

Engineering The Xtreme
    your saying you increased your voltage or has it always been at 1.57?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    your saying you increased your voltage or has it always been at 1.57?
    NB voltage was always at 1.57v, now the chipset is just in the loop. Before it was air cooled and CPU was the only WB in the loop.

Hope you guys dont mind if I just add my question here.

I also bought a Cosmos S but the only one available here is the one with a window side panel. It doesnt come with the huge fan. I'll be installing a MCR-220(295 gtx) in front and a MCR-320(core I7) up top. All with medium yates.

This is the layout I have come up so far:
    http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=save.jpg

I would have wanted the top fans sucking air into the rad/case but I dont want to flip the rad in front coz I dont want hot air blowing on me. Of course the other fans thats not on the rads will be positioned accordingly as needed. Any suggestions on my setup?

Xtreme Member
    I have a question, hope this time someone answer - i'm planing to put in my Fuziov 2, MCW30, Micro-Res, MCR320 on MCP655 loop one more rad and 4870x2 FC block. I'm thinking of GTS 240+EK FC water block. The question is - will MCP655 be enought. I mean, am i gonna lose performance, which will impact CPU temp(the most important), or it's enought?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Longbow View Post
    Hope you guys dont mind if I just add my question here.

I also bought a Cosmos S but the only one available here is the one with a window side panel. It doesnt come with the huge fan. I'll be installing a MCR-220(295 gtx) in front and a MCR-320(core I7) up top. All with medium yates.

This is the layout I have come up so far:
    http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=save.jpg

I would have wanted the top fans sucking air into the rad/case but I dont want to flip the rad in front coz I dont want hot air blowing on me. Of course the other fans thats not on the rads will be positioned accordingly as needed. Any suggestions on my setup?
    What about modding the side panel with a 250mm fan?
    I modified my old Cosmos with the side fan and it helped quite
    a bit. You could then have the rear fan blowing out.
    i7 970 4.0 Ghz 1.325v // Asus P6X58D Premium // Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit // 12gb Corsair Dominators // 2- GTX 580 Hydrocoppers in SLI// 2-OCZ Vertex 2 Raid//128Gb Corsair SSD (Temp Storage) // Custom Wall Mount Case // Corsair 1000W // SyncMaster 2433BW // Dual loops 2-laing 355's each with XSPC dual top // (UN) 3G Brackets & X-Brackets // Swiftech Apogee XT // 2 x 120.3 & 2 x 120.2 Swiftech Rads//

Wall Mount Build Log: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=242186
    MM Extended Ascension Build Log:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=212236[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123