Thread: Valves needed for transportation of ss

Valves needed for transportation of ss

I plan on building a ss chiller that is a mix between form and function so it will need to be able to be transported. Will I need to put valves on the high and low sides of the compressor to keep oil from leaking into my system if it is placed on it's side or upsaide down during transport? Regular window airconditioners get knocked around and placed in all directions during transportation and they still work when recieved. I saw alot of posts over the years that mention oil getting in the filter dryer or evap(hx in my case) can cause big problems. I want to know if valves are needed and if so do they have to be anything special? The pressure should be equal on both sides of the valve. Just need to know if POE or R22 will attack the teflon/rubber packing in reqular water valves or propane gas valves. I will be using a cpev and R22.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Blood_Smoke; 12-12-2008 at 11:25 PM.

Xtreme Member
    not exactally sure what you mean here, the chill part of your chiller should be what they call a "Sealed System" consists of the evap, condenser, compressor and tubing used to connect the 3 parts. only place oil can really go is through your sealed system (which it does already as the refrigerant carries the oil) as long as you lay it on its back and not the front, which i dont think would be a good idea anyways because youll probably have switches and the like there, you should be in good shape and no oil should go anywhere but where its supposed to go.
    CM Stacker 830 Classified Scheme *In Progress*
    Antec TPQ-1000
    i7 950
    OCZ Reaper 3x2gb 1066 7-8-8
    Crucial C300 128gb
    HD5850
    Asus Xonar Essence STX

I understand it is a selaed system and I understand oil moves around the system with the refrigerant. I was more pertaining to if the system was flipped on its side during transport and oil sitting in the compressor ran into my filter / dryer or my hx, would that not cause a problem when the system is turned on, or would it all find its way back to the compressor? I had read in a few posts about oil clogging evaps.

-110c club
    i think if the oil was moved in to the hi side pipe work it would just be pushed thru
    there would be a bit of pressure diffrence when the oil hit the cap tube but it shold get back to the comp in the end

iirc with all new fridge/freezers you have to leave them stood up in the same place for like 10hours before starting so the oil can settle back in the comp

the valves would be a easy option to just isolate the comp from the pipeework you would just have to rember to open them
    some thing like this would be well suited
    http://www.danfoss.com/NewsAndEvents...5-A44B9574E46D
    I LOVE LAMP!